Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrAverigeUser

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2015
europe
I made an interesting experience:

After loading the already mentioned little helper apps (new Samsung Firmware and TRIM Enabler) I let the MBP awake over all the following nights. I did multiple times both the 5Gb blackmagic test and the heavier 16GB AJA-test and they were excellent from the very beginning after the firmware upgrade and activation of TrimEnabler. And just now they are still stable at roundabout 500 R/W for 5 GB files and 460/490 for the harder AJA 16GB RAW 12 bit DNG test.

Just after activating the new 840-firmware and TrimEnabler, starting until screen for user-login took roundabout 45-52 seconds.

about a week passed now and I just realized that NOW each time starting the MBP takes only 2 sec for the chime and 17-21 sec to full screen for log-in the user.

First I thought this is only by chance. But now I realize that this rests continuously fast as that!

Gaining some 25 seconds for booting does not matter in real life at all - BUT:

It seems for me, that the new Firmware has done its job very good over-time since this is a clear better performance anyway. The Samsung firmware seems (for me) to do slowly but very effectively regain max. performance.

(edit: Did a PRAM/NVRAM-reset as well, but after this the machine didn´t start faster as before, it took roundabout 50 sec as before)

As the used 1TB SSD was created just for a bootable Clone of the 360 GB of the original SSD 1-1,5 years ago, (and rested deinstalled in its box since) this could NOT be the effect of Trim, but only of the new Firmware.

In the meantime I changed nothing - I only gave free HTML5 for Youtube (which doesn´t even do anything because you need ElCrap to profit on it).

So - the bottom line for me is:

The new Samsung Firmware does well its job - but it seems to takes some time to rewrite all the 1TB of space (maybe it has to do this even several times for optimum results?) .

So - do the update - be patient and let your MBP AWAKE for a week during pause (i.e by night) to let the Firmware smoothly do its job (is just my Hypothesis).
Because of the reported issues with the automatic sleep function I disabled this already instantly at the beginning.

You don´t need no more sleep-mode if it boots in just 20 seconds or even less, do you?

I´d be interested in other people´s experience to verify if this is reproducible and so my Hypothesis s can be confirmed as correct or wrong.

I am very lucky now! :) Well I was already before - but now even more….

Last edited:

dapperdee

macrumors newbie
Apr 25, 2014
How can I install firmware updates on this harddrive? I have tried countless tutorials and cannot get it working on my macbook pro.

MrAverigeUser

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2015
europe
How can I install firmware updates on this harddrive? I have tried countless tutorials and cannot get it working on my macbook pro.

http://blog.conradchavez.com/2014/1...vo-ssd-performance-restoration-tool-on-a-mac/

I described it also somewhere in the forum, maybe even in this thread.
if you still have a optical bay in your computer, it is very easy with a CD or DVD(R)...

If younuse others than us keyboard be aware that you have to tap several times on the same button that is named "Y" on the US keyboard to confirm and proceed while the update program is runing....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.