The screen the screen the screen.

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by h00ligan, Sep 2, 2011.

1. h00ligan macrumors 68030

My love affair is ending fast. The screen (samsung) just frankly is by good enough.

Glad I got the amazon special. I see a move back to the pro line sooner than later.

What's wrong with it? Color. It sucks.

2. summitRun macrumors regular

Interesting...I'm actually struggling with the white being too *white*...very hard to get used to even on a 3 bar screen bright. My colors seem extremely rich and textured. Sorry I cant be of more help and I'm sue there isnt anything I can add that you havent already tried. One of the benefits of moving to a new platform (for me) is not having a frame of reference from which to draw current criticism against...in other words I dont know any better:rolleyes:

3. macosx22 macrumors newbie

4. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Calibrate the display, you may find an improvement, however the Air`s display wont match the Pro`s. My 13 inch has an LG display and it`s fine, my wife`s 11 inch I have no idea as it`s also good and I have not bothered to look up the manufacturer

5. h00ligan thread starter macrumors 68030

It's hardware calibrated. Unfortunately it's a bigger issue than I thought. Sorry to be negative. Just venting. It's a great machine other than the 4 gb ram limit and screen.

Frustrated after a day of photowork on it.

6. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

How can you find out what screen is on a MBA ??

7. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

It is what it is, the Air`s colour gamut is short of what the Macbook Pro`s offer, I dont use mine for the same purpose as yours, so it`s not an such an issue to me. A secondary display would appear to be your only resort, although it rather defeats the purpose of the Air

8. clearyjp macrumors member

This was the main reason my Air was exchanged for a MBP. Everything just looked washed out to me.
    I'm hoping the next MBP will have the body of the Air with a decent screen!

9. erasr macrumors 6502

I made another topic on this and while it seems the Pro's colours are actually more over the top than real life, they are definitely far far far more vibrant.

Sometimes I think the Air screen is terrible, honestly. Too much white and poor colour gamut. Then sometimes I think the colours are more realistic.

I have 12 days left to decide. Shame the pro is due an upgrade very soon or else I'd swap in an instant I think (I miss the over the top colours!)

10. bill-p macrumors 65816

Weird... 2011 Air?

My 2010 Air's Samsung screen looks about the same as my 2010 Pro's screen. Only difference is somehow, the Air's screen is brighter at the same brightness level.

11. h00ligan thread starter macrumors 68030

Honestly it's a great screen. If you don't need anything even remotely close to accuracy. Which is most people. I don't expect to preflight on it but I'd like to get 'close'.

Etching movies, playing games, word, Internet it's fine. I suspect many do that. I don't expect eizo but it sucks it's about half of the pro.

It's not vibrancy or contrast necessarily. It's not even white point. All that stuff gets mostly fixed with hardware cal. It's accuracy. And having to check every third pixel for rgb values before printing stinks n

Right now I was hoping to use the air as a landing point. Cull on it. Basic adjustments. Retouch. Then ff to a desktop. But I can't even get to the retouch step with my workflow. A prime example is bright blue Arizona sky. Has a purple balance to it. Makes the whole image look like white balance is off, after calibrating the shot to neutral grey.

12. Adidas Addict macrumors 65816

Adidas Addict

I think the problem is a lot of people move from a MBP to a MBA, the MBP screen is better in every way except resolution (depending on model).

13. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

I have two MBAs, and they BOTH have awesome screens. The best I've had in a laptop (former Dell/Thinkpad/Toshiba/Compaq/HP owner here).

Oh, and one is Samsung and the other is LG. Can't tell which one is which... :cool:

14. erasr macrumors 6502

Very true and I keep reading a lot of people say the Air's screen is amazing etc, even the Apple employee did in store. It's not amazing!!!!! (Compared to the Pro). Compared to everything else, it is amazing. That's because a lot of everyday laptops have poor screens. I'm looking at my gfs toshiba now, it's horrific. The air looks amazing compared.

And this is what we mean. Did you come from a MBP at all? If not, or don't have one to compare to, yes I can see why you say it's amazing.

Nice to see you say no difference between LG and Samsung though.

15. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Correct. The little I saw from the MBP at the store is not enough for me to form a strong opinion. The MBP screens seemed very glossy to me, and from what I saw they also looked amazing. Probably if I had bought a MBP and a MBA, and used them side by side, I would see a difference. But more than likely not, as I am not a graphics artist nor do I suffer from OCD. Actually I may need glasses, which may explain why they all seem wonderful to me. All this talk of color gamut and blacks not being black enough or whites not being white enough seems, quite honestly and no disrespect intended, quite silly to me. If I was a professional graphics artist I would likely not be relying on a laptop screen to do my work. But that's just me, and maybe that is one of the reasons I am not a graphics artist.

:D

16. KPOM macrumors G5

There's a reason the Pro line is more expensive. You do get better screens with them than with the MacBook Air. The Air has a mainstream screen, with a narrower color gamut. For photo accuracy, get a Pro. Hopefully the 15" "Air Pro" will be coming out later for those who want accuracy and portability.

17. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

I agree with you. I wonder however what percentage of MBA users care about the "color gamut". I mean, really. :D

18. SatyMahajan macrumors regular

Just returned mine to Apple. Love a lot of things about the 2011 13" MBA, but hopefully in future revisions they will improve the screen considerably. Back to my trusty 13" MBP I go. I will miss 1440x900 land though. :( Good thing I still have 5120x1600 land on my desktop. ;)

19. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

That is one WIDE monitor! :D

20. MTD's Mac macrumors regular

MTD's Mac

The OP is talking about pro (or borderline pro) tasks on a consumer notebook. Why would you ever expect this to work? MBP is an option, or just stick with the Air and do work where accuracy matters while plugged into a Thunderbolt Display.

21. halledise macrumors 65816

Hamilton Island, Whitsundays, QLD Australia
    well said :)

22. billy12 macrumors member

One monitor: 2560 px x 1600 px

Two monitors: 2 * 2560 px = 5120 px --> 5120 px X 1600 px

23. Brandon0448 macrumors 6502

Brandon0448

Or maybe two normal ones lol.

24. macbookpro45 macrumors 6502

if you're trying to sell it and are interested in a mbp i've got a mid '09 15"mbp that might meet your fancy as my fancy is an air ;O

25. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Hmmmm. Too bad there are two thick bezels right in the middle of those 5120 pixels... :rolleyes: