Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

troop231

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 20, 2010
In nature, aka elastomeric. Still photograph here:

33elb4o.png

troop231

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 20, 2010
You may be thinking, "Oh but those are sensors" or something along the line. That could make sense, but there are no ribbon cables or anything to assume that from the Gizmodo pics even. I'm pretty sure it's rubber, the two holes are to mount the rubber piece securely while joining the aluminum sides together. Also these would act as shock absorbers.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Also these would act as shock absorbers.

I've seen some people around here scoff at this idea, but everyone I know who has broken their iPhone screen did so by dropping their phone on its edge. They don't tend to fall perfectly face down, after all. The glass breaks from the shock being transferred through the phone.

So I'm inclined to think that 'shock absorbers' is the answer.

troop231

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 20, 2010
I've seen some people around here scoff at this idea, but everyone I know who has broken their iPhone screen did so by dropping their phone on its edge. They don't tend to fall perfectly face down, after all. The glass breaks from the shock being transferred through the phone.

So I'm inclined to think that 'shock absorbers' is the answer.

Yup, I originally proposed this theory here: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/902729/

pellets007

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2009
New York
Perhaps, but I am still a bit skeptical. I would compare this to those 'shock absorbers' on cheap Walmart bicycles. Sure, they are put in place to reduce and absorb impacts, but the rest of the frame is rigid. So what's it going to do? But hey, I'm certainly not an expert on either bicycles or the upcoming phone.
:)

Espo

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2007
NY
Perhaps, but I am still a bit skeptical. I would compare this to those 'shock absorbers' on cheap Walmart bicycles. Sure, they are put in place to reduce and absorb impacts, but the rest of the frame is rigid. So what's it going to do? But hey, I'm certainly not an expert on either bicycles or the upcoming phone.
:)
I Agree. But with a glass back they had to find a way to give the phone more protection. I think Apple is so good at engineering their products that the rubber may be a huge saver for the phone. Perhaps they distributed the weight so the phone will fall/put most pressure on the rubber? I'm not a physicist but it seems logical.

wikoogle

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2009
So if they're rubber, can't they paint the rubber silver/aluminum so that it looks flush with the rest of the phone, rather than pain it black so they look like seams?

superstrikertwo

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2008
California
I highly doubt it's a shock absorber because any give in the structure would cause the glass to bend or warp which in turn would cause it to shatter.

senorhappy

macrumors member
Jun 8, 2009
I highly doubt it's a shock absorber because any give in the structure would cause the glass to bend or warp which in turn would cause it to shatter.

These are definitely shock dampers.... I respectfully disagree with your statement. Looking at the connectors that fasten the screen to the metal ring chassis (Gizmodo pics), the screen should "float", meaning, the screen (and maybe the back....haven't seen pics of it clearly enough) is allowed to travel ever so slightly parallel and perpendicular to the plane of the screen, fairly independent of the chassis. So if the chassis deforms due to an impact, the force of the impact will be transferred around chassis to the "rubber" seams, where the shock is dissipated enough to protect the screen and, presumably, the back of the phone. I would bet that the phone could take a fairly significant impact... maybe a 6 foot (~2 m) fall. Hard to say, though, without knowing exactly what that material is.

In other words, the seams are just shock dampers. Ask any engineer...they should agree with my analysis.

JoEw

macrumors 68000
Nov 29, 2009
huh, clever, clever.

Although i kinda wished there could be just one surprise at WWDC where SJ says but theirs one more thing and announces something that we completely were not thinking :apple:

shazzam

macrumors regular
Apr 19, 2010
So if they're rubber, can't they paint the rubber silver/aluminum so that it looks flush with the rest of the phone, rather than pain it black so they look like seams?

Exactly. The seams look horrible. If they gotta be there at least paint them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.