The Shattered Gorilla Glass Thread-Please Post Yours Here Too!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by atomicbatteries, Jul 9, 2010.

1. atomicbatteries macrumors 6502

A thread dedicated to the broken gorilla glass.

I encourage everyone to post their shots of their shattered iPhones here going forward so we can keep some sort of record.

Keep description short and come back with a status report after you have either had the unit replaced or repaired.

To start things off we have a 2 foot unintentional drop to a New York City concrete sidewalk.

Unit still has some functioning. One can not make phone calls, but hey it has that problem before the fall, but perhaps not as bad!
    Double click to see larger image.

UPDATED:
    My friend whose phone is pictured above went to the Apple store on Fifth Avenue here in NY and was told they could not help him. They suggested he contact his credit card company and go thru them SO those of you that appear to be getting first time once only replacements, should count yourselves as pretty darn lucky. And to those of you that think he was irresponsible for allowing his phone to drop[ in the first place, well, phooey to you!
    photo-8.JPG

photo-9.JPG

Next up is.......

2. yoyo5280 macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

One drop did that?

I won't deny it doesn't happen...

Go the genius bar.. act really cute and innocent...and leave your wallet at home. Should do the trick!

3. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

It seems like there are more shattered fronts than backs. I wonder why. Probably a simple physics of holding face up and landing face down.

By the way, they're not confirmed to be Gorilla glass by either Apple or iFixit.

4. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

5. DAMNiatx macrumors 6502a

DAMNiatx

you should call it, Steve Jobs GLASS. :rolleyes:

6. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

Or you can just call it glass and people can stop assuming it's gorilla glass til theirs confirmation.

7. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

Because it's the same type of glass Gorilla Glass uses and many assume Apple wouldn't develop it themselves and instead they're using Gorilla Glass.

8. army91c macrumors 6502a

I hate it when I drop my phone made of glass and it breaks! How dare apple makes a product that I can't abuse!!

Maybe change the name of the post to "I was irresponsible and dropped my phone and it broke Thread-If you're as irresponsible as I was, post yours here too!".

Or you could of course use the search option and add your post to those.
    Not saying accidents don't happen but if you abuse your expensive electronic devices you should expect them to break. Not saying you said this but those that expect apple to replace their broken until, one that they broke through their own negligence, are crazy.

9. Hellishness macrumors 65816

Hellishness

• Abuse /= (does not equal) accidental or:
    • He never said Apple should replace it.
    • People generally don't like bumped threads, so if the OP posted in an old broken glass thread, he would likely get negative responses
    • Are we all irresponsible because we accidentally dropped something? Have you NEVER dropped ANYTHING?

10. Rooftop voter macrumors 6502a

I hate it when people try and say "oh it's made of glass and your surprised it broke blah blah blah". The reason we would assume that it's stronger than it is because most would think it would be an extremely stupid idea to make a phone out of normal everyday glass! Something that is handled every day, and in the course of use has a pretty good likelihood of being dropped at some point during the 2 year contract period. Not to mention apple made some kind of claim about it being 30x stronger than plastic, or something of that nature, and saying that it's used on helicopters and a little test of it being bent by some machine. Now weather or not apple meant it would actually be more durable could be debated, but It seems that's what was implied.

11. lilo777 macrumors 603

So, you really think that it was a great idea for Apple to make a hand-held device out of glass? So, what's next. Glass casing for MacBook Pro? Any takers?

12. kernkraft macrumors 68020

kernkraft

Monkey and monkey glass

Although it's a dog, they should have dedicated it to the person deciding that it was a good idea to use it; and just call it monkey-glass.

It must be difficult for you to accept that Apple Inc just released a defective product. Who the hell is so stupid to employ a design that makes phones break from one simple drop? There are more and more of these threads around and some people report only minor drops. I wish that Apple released an iCar made by card board, so people like you can learn a bit more about product design, when your iCar sees its first rain.

13. bamafever09 macrumors regular

bamafever09

U must be perfect. He never said anything about they should replace it, people drop thing on accident all the time if the phone can't take a few drops in my eyes and most peoples eyes with good sense that's a problem. Get off his back he's human just like u. Op sorry about that man it sucks for real I hope u get it worked out somehow

14. insidmal macrumors 6502

insidmal

i'm assuming you are the same people who said you shouldn't put a case on your phone because it makes it "ugly" ..just karma for buying something based on looks :)

oh, and i call your bluff.. that clearly has 2 impact points meaning it bounced which doesn't happen from 2 feet

15. army91c macrumors 6502a

Of course if you read my post I clearly say "Not saying you said this but" so try www.hookedonphonics.com to improve your reading. Of course you can find many threads/post saying that apple SHOULD replace their broken phones that broke due to their negligence.
    MR forum rules say use search so you don't make duplicate threads which OP agreed to when he signed up.
    Well yes, you are all irresponsible if you dropped something that shouldn't be dropped. If you weren't, you wouldn't of dropped it.
    As I said in my post "Not saying accidents don't happen" so I do realize that accidents do happen, doesn't make you not irresponsible just because it was an accident.
    Yes I have dropped things and when I did, I was being irresponsible and suffered the consequences which was me paying $199 for an OOW replacement.

Yes I think it was an awesome idea to make the i-4 the way it is. I love the design and think it is the best looking phone on the market. Don't like the idea of your phone possibly breaking after 1 drop then don't get the i-4, easy solution to a non problem.

Has nothing to do with me accepting anything. What makes you think the i-4 is a "defective product" ? I have no, none, zero, nill, null, nada issues with my i-4. I even dropped it on a tile floor while being irresponsible and luckily it didn't break. If anyone complaining that the phone breaks because of a "minor drop" wouldn't of dropped it, there would be no breaking issue.

It's an issue for those that are irresponsible and drop their phone, not so much for those that don't. If the phone is used as intended and not abused, there should be no issue with it breaking. Oh and dropping it doesn't fall under the intended use column.

I'm close but not perfect ;) You have the same problem with your reading as hellishness.... never said he said apple should replace the phone (as a matter of fact I clearly say "not saying you said this but..."). The phone can clearly take "a few drops" seeing as I and many others have dropped theirs without breaking them. Hell, iFixit had to drop it 4 times before it broke, that tells me it's pretty tough. Not on his back simply putting in my $0.02 which is what forums are all about. As far as him getting it worked out.... paying $199 will get it worked out just fine. He may get lucky and have it swapped out for free but he might not. I of course hope he doesn't have to pay any $$ but he shouldn't hold his breath.

16. macduke macrumors 604

macduke

Personally, I can't wait to buy an all-glass iCar. Can you imagine how sexy that thing will look? There can be no downside to this.

Yeah, as a giant fan of Apple, as a person who has owned every iPhone and detests anything that isn't a Mac, as a person who uses MobileMe and has an iPad, who loves their Magic Mouse, who is a graphic designer and will probably use Apple products for the foreseeable future, I'm finally going to say it: Making something that is used in the real world by humans who have somewhat moist fingers and travel frequently out of a slippery glass with absolutely no give due to an hardened steel support band that also leaves the edges of the glass exposed was a poor choice. It just is.

I mean, I hope I'm wrong! Maybe there was a bad batch of glass at the super cool glass plant, but for now, it seems that Apple finally screwed something up. There weren't this many people having problems with iPhones 1-3 right after launch. It's almost not fun how I feel like I need to be so very extra careful with it. I feel like Gollum from Lord of the Rings. My precious! I wish Otterbox cases weren't so ugly. Hopefully inCase comes out with something that has a lot of protection that still looks great. iPhone 4 is wonderful, has a great screen, and is super fast, but the sexy design, unfortunately, makes it hell to keep safe. Good thing I'm not the partying type. Those people have got to drop their phones at least five times a night on average. I've seen it happen.

I wish Apple would just pay out for Titanium. Isn't it transparent to radio waves? I also thought that I looked up the price once and it wasn't a huge increase over aluminum. Make the whole back and sides like the iPad, but out of titanium, and tuck a slightly thicker screen glass inside a rubber gasket flush with the edges. Then put a dual antenna in the middle and near the bottom. Put the proximity sensor back where it was, and move the front camera to centered, just below the speaker. All of these would probably solve a lot of the issues with the device, as well as putting the camera into a slightly better position.

17. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Clearly NOT the case. Myself and others on here have dropped our phone from higher onto harder materials than others that are screaming about their broken phones.

18. kernkraft macrumors 68020

kernkraft

I dropped my 3G probably less often than my other phones, but it still had a few accidents. So far, nothing broke. However, here we see a weeks-old product with quite a few people reporting devastating results upon dropping the handsets. You might be lucky, although I'd keep that phone under close attention. At least you know that at one point, a drop might be fatal. I saw a video when the third drop shattered the phone. If you are so confident, why don't you make your own video to prove these people wrong?

Come on!!! We are talking about Apple products! Appearance is a large part of the appeal. You are just using this argument because you are running out of excuses to defend Apple Inc.

19. Hellishness macrumors 65816

Hellishness

Ok, I missed the "Not saying you said this but". Just because you added the personal insult (...so try www.hookedonphonics.com to improve your reading.), please explain how
    makes any sense.

And I think you missed the main point the OP was making with this thread: a collection of all the broken front glass screens, organized into one semi-official thread. This is obviously not working out, but I don't see it was a duplicate of the numerous "I dropped my iPhone 4 and it broke, pics" threads.

20. army91c macrumors 6502a

It wasn't a personal insult, I just thought you may need some help. (kinda funny too, don't ya think ;)) Not sure about your other part there......
    I did get the op's attempted point but the bigger question is, what's the point of such a thread except bashing apple/i-4? How is it helping the community? How is it bringing any "new" information to the table? Of course I know your reading is fine, hell I don't read to good neither :p Just me having some fun, sorry if it bugged you.

21. macduke macrumors 604

macduke

Yeah, it's not so much being irresponsible as it is being a human being. Would you ride around in a car made of glass because it looked cool? No, because you would likely die from a fender-bender. Same thing here. iPhone 4's are dying from fender-benders. Nobody is running around chucking their phones out windows or doing anything purposeful. They're fracking sliding off tables onto linoleum and leaving spider-web cracks all over the glass. That's not being irresponsible. Have you ever broken a dish? Or tripped over something? Or forgotten your mom's birthday? We're all human, and sometimes things happen and we aren't perfect 100% of the time. But the fact that people can drop their previous 3 iPhones and they survive well in most cases and people with brand new iPhones are dropping them once and they are breaking is kind of a problem for a PORTABLE device. Living permanently in your mom's basement doesn't count, as I'm sure several people on this forum likely do. Portable means we bring it out with us to do the things in the real world that we want to do. That's what all those apps are for. What is even worse is that people with cases are even having problems.

Like I said in another post, my wife works with autistic children in the surrounding 25 counties. She is always running around, driving to appointments, stopping by the office, and going to training seminars. She constantly has to be moving tons of equipment around. This includes cameras and microphone systems (to instruct parents from another room), toys, books, tons of logs and other paperwork, while also calling people tons. She has to confirm appointments, make new ones, communicate back with her boss about her assignments, and then discuss with me evening plans. With all this running around driving thousands of miles per month, carrying things everywhere, and dealing with attacking autistic children that leave bruises on her, she's dropped her phone more times than she can even come close to counting. She has a Sony Walkman phone that is plastic and hardly has a mark on it. It's no iPhone, but she said she doesn't want an iPhone, because there is no way in hell an iPhone could survive even half a day with what she goes through. Yet some cheap, crappy, PLASTIC Sony phone that is 3 years old can. I thought plastic was terrible and weak?

The thing is, while many people might not have a job as crazy as my wife's, lots of people have lives that they live, and they shouldn't have to worry that one little accident will set them back a few hundred dollars in repair charges. One little bump shouldn't be an instant death. I believe there are ways that you can make a beautiful iPhone, even with all the glass, that would make it less prone to breaking. Setting things deeper with rubber gaskets around the edges would be a start. Like safety shower glass that is less likely to shatter, it practically explodes when the door comes off the rails and is impacted on the side. Some showers have rubber bumpers to help deal with this, but it doesn't always help. The iPhone 4's glass isn't really protected on the sides, and that leaves it wide open to shattering. You'd think that making some improvements there would help things a lot.

22. pullfocus macrumors 65816

pullfocus

Geez. All these threads about the cracked glass.

This glass starting to look more delicate than Samuel Jackson.

23. glocke12 macrumors 6502a

glocke12

I dont think there was ever anything official said to indicate that it is gorilla glass. Even if there were, from what i understand gorilla glass is highly scratch resistant but not shatter resistant.

Its unfortunate that there are phones with broken glass out there, but when you drop something made of glass, any kind of glass, chances are it will break.

Solution? Get a case, or dont drop your phone.

24. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Next time someone feels like posting anything about glass in this iPhone subforum, they should just put BRAWL in the title, since civilized discussion is simply unacceptable for this subject matter.

25. glocke12 macrumors 6502a

glocke12

Care to take this outside?