The size of parking spaces around the US needs upgrading

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by tzhu07, Apr 5, 2015.

1. tzhu07 macrumors regular

tzhu07

I don't know who decided on parking space dimensions, but more places need parking lots with wider spaces as well as wider separators.

Great example at Costco:
    [​IMG]

2. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

I agree OP. Parking all the way to the left or right so that you're over the separator is also fun, which is what a lot of people do in these types of spots. But yes, parking spaces are poorly-designed.

3. Mildredop macrumors 68020

Come to the UK. Most spaces are barely the width of the average car which makes opening the door quite the fun game.

4. juanm macrumors 65816

juanm

Either that, or you need to get reasonable sized cars, and learn to park. ;)

5. fitshaced macrumors 68000

fitshaced

The driver of the White SUV doesn't know how to park. The alien in the red UFO can do it better than him.

6. aphex.twin macrumors newbie

[​IMG]

Exhibit A; on-street parking in London.

You could fit an oil tanker in those parking spaces at Costco.

7. mojolicious macrumors 68000

mojolicious

I've lived in flats smaller that those parking spaces.

8. heehee macrumors 68020

heehee

I'm from Canada and I do find parking spaces fairly large. But people can't see to park, or simply doesn't care for that matter. I had 4 huge door dings in my previous car and try to park my car dead centre or off to the side at the end of the row.

9. puma1552 macrumors 601

Japan has those separators, pretty nice.

Of course the real solution here is to drive something that isn't an enormous oversized pig and/or park far away from other people. Little exercise wouldn't kill the average fat American.

10. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Door dings are not Costco's or any retailer's problem! I seem to remember a time when cars used to come with bumper thingys to protect doors. ;)

11. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

I suppose we could invest in radically expanding and improving public transportation infrastructure too.

Then there may be fewer cars to worry about for those who need to park a car.

12. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Parking lots are, all things considered, an ecological and social disaster.

They contribute massively to rainwater flooding; water pollution; and urban sprawl. To say nothing of light pollution; over-consumption; the obesity epidemic; and the general breakdown of civil society.

That said...

They do make shopping here in the US generally very convenient. But compared to the rest of the world, US parking lots are (generally speaking) generously sized, properly laid out; and easy to park in.

13. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

Lol, I recall my parents coming home from someplace and telling us about some dude that cared so little about his or other people's vehicles that he swung his door open as far as it would go when he went to get out of the car. My parent's car just happened to be the stopping point, and my mom was sitting IN THE CAR!

Yes, some lots have VERY cramped parking spots (maximize the number of people you can get into the store or shopping center) but others have LUXURIOUS spots, such as Lowe's.

14. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

The parking lot is obviously built that way because the company is member supported. As a result, Costco uses our membership fees to make their parking lots bigger so we are all more comfortable going.

I love it.

15. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

What an expression of utter heresy. Heresy, that is, if one's transport policy is arrived at subject to a belief system that is centred on ameliorating the trying lot of automobiles and automobile owners, irrespective of other social, spatial, ecological and economic consequences.

But it is the sort of heresy I find myself in full agreement with.

16. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Avowed Apple-eaters think alike...

17. z31fanatic macrumors 6502a

z31fanatic

lol
    I was going to say that anywhere outside of US and Canada, those parking spaces are considered huge.

18. tzhu07 thread starter macrumors regular

tzhu07

FYI, I own a car that is classified as compact within the US.

So no, I'm not complaining and at the same time driving a giant truck.

Again, thank goodness for places like Costco who actually put some thinking behind the design of their parking lots, and took into account real world frustrations that people may have.

19. citizenzen macrumors 65816

We don't need wider spaces.

We need smaller cars.

20. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

I like the way Fry's does parking. They have spaces for "compact" cars near the entrance and regular size parking spaces further out. If only they would enforce the "compact only" policy. It pisses me off every time I see some dumbass berthing his land yacht in compact only spots, taking up 2 spaces.:mad: I wouldn't mind so much if the idiot could dock it between the lines (a Yukon would have 4 inches to spare on both side if parked dead center).

21. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

I don't have to seem much of a problem with parking spaces in the US. I live in Boston which has pretty tight parking as it is. I have a BMW 5-Series (mid-sized sedan in the US, big compared to the average european car).

Bigger spots offer a little more protection against door dings, but even with giant Costco sized spots the risk still remains. If you're having difficulty actually navigating into the spot, I think the problem is not with the parking spot.

My girlfriend's Land Cruiser is a bit of an issue though. That thing is gigantic.

22. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Yes, we do, son't we?

Exactly! Excellent post and very well made point.

This, of course, is the (thus far, unarticulated and barely whispered) solution. Actually, to a European eye, many of the cars from the US are simply enormous.

Ah, but Land Cruisers are extraordinarily comfortable cars - if a bit of a challenge to drive, and park, and navigate, in tight, urban spaces. (But were they conceived and ever, really, supposed to be driven in tight, urban spaces? That is one of the main problems with these off-road, four-wheel-drive vehicles; most of the time, in the First World, they are not used in the sort of rugged, and testing and challenging environments that they were designed for - instead, they are bloated - and fashionable - monsters in urban settings.)

Point taken - and it is a funny one - about the BMW 5 series. This is viewed as an executive level saloon in Europe, not a mid sized car.

23. richwoodrocket macrumors 68020

richwoodrocket

America's parking spaces are huge!! How else are you gonna park that big old SUV or pickup truck? Here in the US we love our big vehicles...

24. vrDrew macrumors 65816

One thing I've noticed: Drivers (or at least people who use parking lots - which, by the way, are known as car parks in the UK) tend to use up whatever space is available.

If Costco (or Walmart or Dicks Sporting Goods) provides a large lot, with generously sized spaces - you'll find people park so carelessly, that you'll inevitably find door dings if you wait long enough. I (recently) returned to my car from getting a haircut, to find a woman had parked her SUV so close to my drivers door I literally could not open it. And what was even more amazing is, she was sitting in her vehicle when I returned. I literally stood there for a minute looking at her before she looked up, gave me a glare, and begrudgingly moved her vehicle. (By the by: Lexus is the Official Vehicle of the American Asshat.)

Conversely, people in Britain (which has comically badly designed car parks) seem to fit normal and large-sized vehicles into spaces that seem woefully undersized. Of course, there is a certain type of middle-class English dude who insists on backing in to parking spaces. I've never got a good reason for why they do this - especially as it vastly increases the probability that they'll bump the vehicle in the next aisle. Maybe they are planning on robbing the shop and need to be ready to make a quick getaway?

My rule-of-thumb for parking is this: Take the first available spot within comfortable walking distance of your destination. Parking a tiny bit further away dramatically decreases your chances of getting dinged by a careless parker. And whatever time you use walking a few extra yards is more than made up for by the minutes you'll wait around waiting for a "good" spot right by the front door.

25. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Hahahaha, some of those backing-in folks must have immigrated to the U.S. Never really understood that one...