The Smaller iPhone Shouldn't Be Treated Like a Second-Class iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MICHAELSD, Nov 25, 2016.

1. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

Frankly some people prefer the smaller display as it provides more comfortable handling of the iPhone. Those who don't haven't lived with the 4.7" display for a week to make an informed enough decision to see the convenience it adds. The 4.7" form factor works better as a phone: it's portable, easy to use one-handed, and most importantly comfortable in all situations without the need for adapting to awkward positions of holding in.

Unfortunately, the 4.7" form factor is taken fore-granted as Apple markets the Plus as being not just a bigger device, but a better device. Though I guess bigger is better in the marketing world. That doesn't have to be the case though. The Plus has a higher pixel density, an extra gigabyte of RAM, and a dual-camera setup. While I don't fault Apple for the latter two points as the extra RAM is more necessary in the Plus, it's unacceptable to me that the Plus has a noticeably sharper display. The 4.7" iPhone 7 does edge out the iPhone 7 Plus in contrast when viewed side-by-side as the tech specs portray, with noticeably inkier blacks, but the 7 Plus looks much sharper overall when comparing photos and videos.

For those that choose to go for the smaller size for comfort and convenience, they should be getting the best of the iPhone as well. I was close to moving to a standard iPhone 7, but in a lengthy comparison between the 7 and 7 Plus I couldn't get over how much sharper the 7 Plus' display is. Sure, my main rationale is based around one point and they do have the same hardware for the most part but smaller-iPhone users shouldn't have to settle. Although admittedly, I do think Apple targets the market that barely understands the new features of the device with the smaller models.

Let the record show that I would buy a 4.7" form factor iPhone with all of the Plus features.

Side note: the iPhone 7 has a gorgeous display. It is significantly better than the 6s Plus display on both the 7 and 7 Plus models.

2. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

The three sizes gives the users choice. Pick the one that works best for you and don't look back.

For me, I got to use the keyboard way too much and find that the 7+ works better for these large hands.

It is all,about personal preferences.

3. addamas macrumors 6502

addamas

It's all about that there is huge difference in specs between different size iPhone.

iPhone SE is last compact phone

4. TurboPGT! Suspended

FFS.

That's not how it works. Larger = more. Not just more screen size, but exponentially more internal and external space. Since it will always command a higher price point too, it is even more appropriate.

/thread

5. Thor_1 macrumors 6502a

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! I have a second class iPhone!

This post was made with an iPhone 7.

6. CYKBC macrumors 6502

You guys are not thinking clearly.

The next SE needs to have a bigger display. Apple should ship an SE sized phone with Samsung like reduced bezel making it physically lighter and thinner while delivering a closer to iPhone 7 sized screen.

I'd trade in my 7 in an instant.

7. cardfan macrumors 65816

Both screens are outdated at this point on either the plus or reg. I'd rather see the 4" done as iphone classic. Make it premium, OLED, all glass like iphone 4, and charge the same as iphone 7.

8. navier macrumors regular

navier

That is not what the OP is arguing about... if the 2 models where the same specs with the only differentiation being screen size, than your comment would be fine, but as I see it, it isn't just about personal preferences

I would love the dual camera on the 4,7" for example
    --- Post Merged, Nov 26, 2016 ---
    Sorry but the 2GB vs 3GB RAM doesn't take more space probably

9. MICHAELSD thread starter macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

I want OLED as well, but I was blown away by the difference between my 6s Plus and the 7/7 Plus when I compared them side-by-side. The 7 Plus looks sharper despite being the same res, and the colors are superb. It was better than the S7's AMOLED display IMO (too over-saturated, not as great as other OLED displays like on the Apple Watch).

10. cardfan macrumors 65816

I expect the dreaded "delay" or "supplies issues" article will come along eventually saying the OLED iphone is being pushed to 2018. I'm sure Apple would love nothing better than to be able to refresh the iphone 7 to the 7S. Given Samsung's problems and Apple's surge in smartphone profits...

Would a jet white iphone 7S do the trick along with Pencil support? Followed up with an iphone 7SE?

The colors are great on the 7Plus but still disappointed with the screen res being less than native res. If there's one thing I hate about iphone 7, it's the stupid lightning port. I go through so many cables that just stop working (or only work sometimes) for whatever reason..OEM or third party. USB-C would be welcomed. I'd probably get a 7S just for that update.

11. macTW Suspended

I agree with a lot of what you're saying, OP, but I think the larger phone, with its extra internal space, allows for sooner implementation of technology and features before they are compact enough for the smaller phone. Not saying Apple isn't putting a finished product out there in the larger phones, but that the technological changes and innovations they make allow for more to be put in the same size or smaller sizes.

12. DUIduckSAUCE macrumors 6502

DUIduckSAUCE

apple is in the business to make money and this is how they can better maximize their profit.

13. Superrjamz54 macrumors 6502

Superrjamz54

They already delayed the Oled screen to 2017. The lightning port provides the same advantages as the USB-C port with the added bonus of lining apples pocket with proprietary equipment charges. They aren't going to use a larger port in their phone though. Type C is a huge improvement over the piece of garbage Micro USB port. Third party type C cords have their own issues right now and won't be settled until their is an actual standard for that port.

14. JayIsAwesome macrumors 65816

JayIsAwesome

The Plus model iPhone is basically Apple's flagship. Pretty much became official this year. And while I get where the OP is coming from...one thing that I do disagree with is saying the 4.7 model works better as a phone. That's just an opinion, not a fact. IMO the Plus works better as a phone, for me, b/c I have bigger hands. Texting on the Plus is loads better than on my smaller 4.7 6S.

The Plus also works better as a media device. Netflix, YouTube, iTunes movies, etc looks better on my Plus than my smaller 6S.

Like I said before, the Plus is basically Apple'a flagship. And the phone is also more costly than the regular 7 so Apple should have some features exclusive to the Plus IMO. But that's just me...

Now bring on the iPhone 8 Plus.

15. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

The vast majority of people I know and see buy the 4.7" iPhone so I've never got the impression it's the inferior model.

I can happily sacrifice a very slightly better camera and battery life for a phone that fits in my pocket and can be used one handed. It's not second class, it's just the same. I don't know why people are so obsessed with trying to inflict superiority on insignificant matters like this?

16. navier macrumors regular

navier

If the price was the same for 7 and 7+, would the majority of people still buying the 4,7"? (I'll do)

One could also say "The vast majority of people I know and see buy the Mate Black iPhone so I've never got the impression it's the inferior model.", about the Jet Black vs Mate Black debate, but it is a fact that the Jet Black one is only available starting from 128GB thus, the Mate Black will be widespread. (and I am not saying the Jet Black is better or worse, I am only talking about the Prices: Supply vs Demand)

17. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

Yeah the 4.7" is popular due to it's size over the cumbersome Plus. If the prices were reversed and the Plus was cheaper, I'd spend the extra for a smaller device no question and it's a topic I often see discussed. The prices aren't too extreme for it to be a factor I don't think, especially on contract.

18. apolloa, Nov 27, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2016

apolloa macrumors G3

apolloa

It's only marketing and charging what people will pay, a 750p screen is peanuts in costs, yet Apple charges maximum money for it. I know my Nexus 5 has a sharper display at 4.95" and 1080P resolution. But millions will buy the standard 4.7" display anyway, I have. I hate the Plus size, it's massive. For me a 5" borderless display at 1080P would be great, let's see if they make one?
    As for the cameras, well they have made the iPhone so thin I don't know if it'll fit, that's Apples design fault though. The space and size also means the entire iPhone 7 vibrates when the speakers are turned up. Feels cheap IMO.

They also have no reason to not fit 3GB RAM really, they just don't. But it seems to hum along alright with iOS anyway. Let's see if Apple fit an OLED screen to the 4.7" model and increase the resolution, probably won't be till 2019 though.

So I say ditch the stereo speakers, increase the screen to 5" and 1080P and OLED and borderless. And fit the same SOC and RAM in both models.

19. geta macrumors 6502a

OP, why do you think the SE (the smallest phone in the lineup) is a 'second class phone'? because it dont have 3D Touch, dual camera, or coz of the "old" shape?

Thats your opinion, the normal 4.7" version is the flagship phone, the Plus version is something else, a Phablet. Maybe for your needs, mainly media consumption, the Plus fits your daily usage, and you dont mind sacrifice portability for that, others not.

In my opinion the SE is the best iPhone out there!

20. Channan macrumors 68030

Channan

The iPhone 7 doesn't need that extra GB of RAM, though. The iPhone 7 Plus did.

21. Thor_1 macrumors 6502a

Needed, no. Nice to have, yes. Apple could have added this since they already had a source for the 7+.

22. pat500000 macrumors 604

pat500000

Lol it's like a time when a misbehaving child got locked up in the attic.

23. Jimmy James macrumors 68040

Jimmy James

I agree with the OP.

The Plus is an impractical size for me. That is a separate consideration from the feature set.

24. fatalogic macrumors regular

fatalogic

This isn't any different than the rest of Apple's entire product line. The biggest variant is also the most powerful/ has the best features.

25. ThunderMasterMind macrumors 6502

ThunderMasterMind

I can get along with the fact that the differentiation between the sizes is a little stupid. When I heard that the SE was on the way as a new 4" iPhone, I was excited and I would've traded in my 6S for it, but having an outdated display missing the wider color gamut and 3D Touch, slow Touch ID, and lower spec Camera than the 6S, it just kept me away from it. The phone just turned into a "budget" phone, and it turned me away from it. Quite frankly it pissed me off pretty badly. I just hope that the next SE adds what is missing and actually gets the things that the normal flagship iPhone has at the time.