The Sony PSP Phone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by gan6660, Aug 11, 2010.

1. gan6660 macrumors 65816

gan6660

2. saxon48 macrumors 6502a

saxon48

3. spooky2k macrumors 6502a

Yay, like the Nokia N Gage!

4. Thedeathbear macrumors 6502a

We all know that was VERY successful

5. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

Wouldn't that be like..Copyright Infringement or Patent Infringement or something for Samsung?

It looks exactly like a Samsung Captivate. Why would Sony develop a phone that looks exactly like their competitor's?

6. boy-better-know macrumors 65816

boy-better-know

that wasn't an actual picture of the device it was a mock up. anyway, its meant to look like the psp go which was released before the captivate. think

7. SoraLimit macrumors regular

LOL are we gonna have to hold it like a taco again? :p:p

8. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

You do know that's not the real thing right?

9. No ice please macrumors 6502

Sony just make a good phone. I know they can they just have to ditch anything that can relate to PSP.

10. Thedeathbear macrumors 6502a

I also forgot to say something. If people use it for a true gaming machine, the battery won't last half a day.

11. iUser4Lyfe macrumors 6502

Man, I would LOVE a PSP phone. Please Sony make this happen. PLEASE!!!

12. ToroidalZeus macrumors 68020

ToroidalZeus

Way too late. I remember when the PSP came out everyone asked if it was a phone too bad it wasn't. They could had some killer hype before the original iPhone came out.

13. 3lionsbecks Suspended

3lionsbecks

Looks pretty cool to me....since the PSP is a terrible system, I think this adaption of it with a phone actually makes it a worthwhile device.

I think Sony will hit a home run with the PSP/gamer market with this one.

14. spooky2k macrumors 6502a

I think that's my first sarcastic post that anyone has understood here :) I usually get flamed for stuff like that when people miss it.

15. Apple... macrumors 68020

Apple...

16. TheAppleGeek macrumors 6502a

Haha!

17. adztaylor macrumors 68000

Hmmm, have to see this thing before I rave about it. Sony aren't particularly good at making handheld gaming devices in my opinion. Don't get my wrong my PS3 is fantastic just when it comes to handheld...hmmm.

18. Savor Suspended

Savor

If Android can get Nintendo and Sony on their side, they will dominate Apple in the mobile gaming market. iPhone has some of the best casual games in the market, but not the "big boy games." The ones for the hardcore that want to see blood, guts, and nudity. The iTunes games are as G-Rated than Nintendo's. Apple does NOT have the expertise in gaming like Nintendo or Sony do.

LOL at Apple fanboys trying to compare N-Gage to the PlayStation brand name. The first two PlayStations sold 200+ million between them and had a 10 year lifespan each. The PlayStation 2 still outsold the new gen systems back in 2007! The PSP has sold over 50M and still alive after five years. How is this a flop? Because it couldn't beat DS? 50M sold is ALOT. And hardcore gamers need buttons. They need tactile feedback. Having touchscreen control should be an option. Slide-out controls will work here for both gaming giants. Apple will never add buttons like Nintendo or Sony will do. Too fat for their taste.

I really want to see the next generation portables from Sony and Nintendo to enter the cell phone market. Sell it in variations. The lowest end is the usual way without the phone part like the iPod touch is. Sell them for under $250 or $200. Then for an extra $100-$200 bucks, there is a PSP2 or 3DS (or GameBoy) with a phone capability and also sold unlocked in video game stores like GameStop. Imagine a Nintendo phone for under $400 UNLOCKED and being available at EB Games or Toys-R-Us? Now Japan and Korea use CDMA, but Nintendo and Sony can make a variation of it especially for their home country of Japan. Distribute their older catalog in the Android Market, but have their own store for the games that will be priced for $30-$40. Sony Ericsson can realistically do this more, but rumors that Nintendo wanted to team up with Nokia shows that Nintendo has been interested in the idea of entering the phone market a long time ago (circa early 2000's). Nintendo is the MASTER of casual games and portables, and it would be a shame if they couldn't get a piece of the pie in cell phones.

Hardware technology moves faster in the cell phone industry, but if the great games keep coming, these devices can last even longer than two years. Whatever unbelievable specs the next PSP may have will still be outclassed by phone hardware within months. The current PSP and DS have ancient specs compared to the 2G iPhone from 2007, and they are still around after 5-6 years. The next PSP or GameBoy (one screen) need to be phones as well. Look what's happening with WinMo 7 and Xbox. I can get my God of War and Mario Kart on the go without all the lame imitations from the App Store or needing install ROMs for it. Think about the popular games in the App Store like Doodle Jump. A game like that would be a joke to a hardcore gamer.

That is the one thing Apple has never targeted. The "hardcore gamers." Now portable gaming is normally catered for 5-min casual fun. Nobody has the attention span looking at a small screen. But at the same time, nobody wants to play 99 cent games all the time. They want more reputable franchises they have grown to love over the years. I want the blood and sex in games too that Apple would never approve. Targeting the hardcore gamers has potential.

So please, Sony! Make this happen with Android. And if Nokia and Nintendo rekindle a potential partnership, they both would have a winner in their hands. Nokia had no clue with the N-Gage. But with Nintendo by their side, it wouldn't be such a problem. The video game is still a multi-billion dollar industry. Marriage them with phones, and the industry gets even bigger and fun.

The P&S cameras, PMPs, and Internet tablet is something cell phones are getting close to mastering. Video games is still not in the level I want it to be where they can truly replace our video game portables to enjoy many of our beloved franchises. Mobile gaming needs more depth.

Have a remake of Final Fantasy VII on the next SE/Android phone, and I'm sold and will already plan my campout for launch day.

19. wreckshop macrumors 6502

wtf are you talking about. Clearly you've never played with a PSP go. That thing is not much bigger than an iphone, and is about the same size as an evo. Sony makes very good hardware. Its the software that's always sucked.

20. Pattycerts macrumors 6502

This is huge, and something Apple should have done first. It didn't work for N-Gage because the games sucked, they were cartridges, was a crappy phone OS, etc. This is going to be an Android phone (which is already established) with PSP games, no cartridges.

One of th things Apple iOS has over Android is better gaming. This will be no more once this phone is on the market. I think its gonna be huge, we'll see I guess.

When Apple announced 3.0 and its ability to work with accessories, I immediately thought of a potential game controller. Wrap-around bumper type w/joystick and a few buttons. They never delivered that though and I wish they did.

21. ohaithar macrumors 6502a

ohaithar

22. Savor Suspended

Savor

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation

I repeat, do NOT underestimate Sony and the PlayStation brand name. Especially if its allegiance is with a giant like Google. Android and SE will take off.

A marriage between Android and PlayStation could take Android to a new level in gaming and resurrect Sony Ericsson's marketshare.

I know this is an Apple forum with fanboys wanting to keep patting themselves on their back with their iPhone 4s. I get it. I love that device too. But let's start to look ahead and where mobile gaming hasn't reached yet?

This PSP phone needs to be done. Give us an announcement and a due date. People will camp-out for it, especially if this device can be sold for under $400 UNLOCKED at your local GameStop. This PSP phone will be the most anticipated phone in cell phone history OUTSIDE of the iPhone. Many Sony fanboys will line up around the block for this big time. Remember the camp-outs for a PlayStation 3 back in 2006? That was going for $600 when not everybody wanted a Blu-ray player or had a HDTV yet! Beware of a Sony COMEBACK. Remember how fast Nintendo came back with the Wii after some lackluster sales with the N64 and GameCube? Sony is the company that made playing video games feel "cool" with the original PlayStation when they targeted an older crowd back the 1990's. Nintendo consoles were labeled as a kid's toy. Sony was the one who helped introduce DVD players to the casual masses back in 2000. People forget PlayStation 2 is not only the best selling video game console, but the best selling DVD player ever. Sony married DVD and video games together. Sony then used the PlayStation 3 as a Trojan horse for their format known as Blu-ray. Look which HD format won out. Forward thinking. You just can't comprehend that vision right now sometimes. The first PlayStations sold over 100M each and lasted 10 years. God of War was made in 2005, and the PS2 hardware was pushed to the max. Incredible results. The PS2 still outsold Xbox 360, Wii, and PS3 as far back as 2008. Eight years after it was introduced. A game developer even said PSP has a 10-year lifespan. Hardware or design isn't as important to hardcore gamers. Only games and more games. The PlayStation 2 was underpowered too compared to the GameCube and Xbox, and it became the most successful home console in the industry because of its extensive library. Millions will easily forget the novelty and dud known as the Nokia N-Gage. Nokia can be terrible at design and lack the expertise that Sony has with gaming, design, audio, quality, software, and marketing. The PlayStation brand has sold OVER 300 MILLION SOLD WORLDWIDE to prove this.

A PSP phone could also be a phone I can actually enjoy and keep for more than 2 years just like my PSP and DS. Games is all that matters here. Both old classics and new games. Not so much in fancy UIs, best specs, or design (the PS2 was ugly to me). Great games and 3rd party support is a PSP phone's lifestream.

A PSP phone with Sony and Google backing it up will literally be a game changer for the industry. Apple is dominating now in games because of circumstances and competition. What competition is really out there for them for video games in the cell phone industry? There are no game masters like Nintendo or Sega to outgame them. We will also continue to deal with Apple's censorship and dictatorship too. When I want to rent a movie like Kick-Ass, it censors the name in iTunes. LOL! Gimme a break. Give me topless scenes like what I saw in God of War and Heavy Rain and the bouncy boobies from the Dead or Alive series that Apple WILL NEVER APPROVE.

[​IMG]

^^^ Concept of an Xperia X10 with PSP Go slide-out controls.

23. ohaithar macrumors 6502a

ohaithar

Nah...I rather see real boobs than some computer generated stuff

24. chembox macrumors 6502a

I have disliked the PSP user-interface ever since version 1.0.

25. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

I predict....failure. If this hits the market then there will be a mad grab for these (no doubt) but Sony will manage to screw it up somehow. Then "make up for it" by releasing another version of the phone that fixes whatever flaws there are in the original version. Kind of like what MS did for the XBOX360.