The spec argument.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by therationalist, Jul 8, 2011.

1. therationalist macrumors regular

therationalist

I am an avid tech fan and frankly don't have any loyalties to any one company. Will buy what I find best and hence now own both am ip4 and galaxy s2.

Been reading these forums and the lack of logic here is staggering.

Iphone fans claim that android phones need much better hardware in terms if specs and batteries to compete with am iphone.

The problem with the above statement is that you are not comparing like for like. Imagine if I said this ;

"The iPhone needs much better specs than my old nokia 8210 to be functional "

The above statement is absurd cos the iphone does a lot more than an old nokia and hence needs better battery and specs

JUST LIKE *drum rolls*

A android phone need better specs than an iphone cos it does a lot more.

When you compare ios to android,its not a fair on ios which is designed to be simple and do most of what an everyday user needs to do.

Ios is like a diesel engine. Efficient, somewhat boring, does everything well but no soul. Android is like a v8,raw and begs to be tweaked to knock your socks off.

In conclusion,please don't compare ios to android. They are completely different animals.

2. nunes013, Jul 8, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 8, 2011

nunes013 macrumors 65816

nunes013

so what happens when you jailbreak an iphone and they can do all the same stuff. stock, android has more features out box than iphone but when you jailbreak they can be very similar.

3. walie macrumors 6502a

not quite

4. Certinfy macrumors 6502a

Certinfy

Not really...

5. nunes013 macrumors 65816

nunes013

ok not all the same stuff but stuff that can require a lot more cpu power and RAM.

6. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

OP, just read your last sentence to yourself again.

Btw guys, might want to remove those pics. They'll get you warnings here on MR

7. Dr Kevorkian94 macrumors 68020

If i Choose to jailbreak my iPhone if i tried i could basically get the same features android has hell i could get it to look the same if i wanted. but also there is about 500 different android phones, where as there have been 4 iPhones released yearly. Android is software, that is then applied to run on some phone that any company creates. What i'm trying to say is that the makers of the phones tried to add every possible feature right off the bat to quickly gain the market, if they forgot something or a new feature was created they quickly made another phone, hence the amount of droids they have created in the time since android was released. Also the android software is not exactly fine tuned to every phone they decide to put on it, this is why Cough cough there are sometimes slow and crash and use up more of the devises recourses. as where an iphone can have equal or lesser specs and get the same, and much better performance without the crashes and slowness. I know so many people who have just gotten rid of their droid because of how much a hassle it is. plus its not as easy to use, so i think this shows that an iPhone is much better.

8. Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

Thats not really true. Then if you Root an Android, now your talking something different altogether that iPhone cant begin to touch.

People should jus be happy with what they have. I know i am and i choose to have an Android over an iPhone for a handfull of reasons. Somebody elses reasons will be different than mine.

9. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

I take it you have never hung around any diesel forums?

10. Gathomblipoob macrumors 601

Gathomblipoob

I just can't take anyone seriously who uses the word "cos."

11. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

That's quite a contradiction you've made right there OP, you compare them and then tell others not to do that.

12. Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

You're very right about this point, but..

You just compared the two. Hypocrite much?

Also, Android phones try to overcompensate for the lack of a stable OS, and that's why they emphasize on specs. Specs don't mean anything when your platform is still laggy and dysfunctional for the average consumer. That is why the iPhone is the best consumer smartphone, and Android phones are great for tech geeks.
    This reminds me of the Mac vs PC arguments..

13. flipster macrumors 6502a

PC: IT HAS BETTER HARDWARE LAWLZ

MAC: IT HAS BETTER SOFTWARE LAWLZ

Sound familiar?

I had like 4 different types of phones, all running Android. (Sense, Motoblur, etc). IMO, specs are nothing if the software is ******. Good to see that the Samsung Galaxy S II has gotten rid of all the annoyances though, it's on par with the iPhone, maybe a little better!

14. maclaptop macrumors 65816

maclaptop

Nice try, but it's not even close.

I have had every iPhone to date and several Androids including my new Samsung Galaxy S II.

When I compare an iPhone that's jailbroken, to nearly any Android the difference is striking. I really like my iPhone for music & such, but it doesn't even come close to an Android phone. The list of Android advantages is very lengthy. The major points are lack of memory card expansion port. This alone is a huge shortcoming. And it goes downhill from here. If I didnt enjoy my iPhones and Macs I wouldn't spend the money, but I do.

Yet that said I'd feel very limited if I didn't have the terrific Androids I do.

15. yetanotherdave macrumors 68000

yetanotherdave

Why do I only ever see arguments about android vs iphone on threads that people start just to say "i'm so sick of the iphone vs android argument". They invariably then state their opinion, and sign off with "don't even try and argue this with me, I've already told you that you are wrong, why even discuss this."

How about, and it's an extreme idea I'll grant you, but how about we take a step back, realise that none of us invented, designed or manufacture this product, that it doesn't really matter that much to us, that they are BOTH amazing products, both with strenghs and weaknesses, and that while I may have a preference for one, you having a preference for the other does not invalidate my choice.

That then frees up loads of time for slagging off windows mobile, symbian and blackberry :p

16. nunes013 macrumors 65816

nunes013

i was talking software not hardware as android is software and thats what the op was discussing (not meant to sound mean btw). android can do more out of box but every year apple adds new features that other phones have but optimizing and perfecting them. there are a few things that android has that i like and wish iphone had however. im sure they will come but it would be nice to have them now w/o jailbreak.

17. ESPN macrumors regular

Right on cue.

18. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

I love these responses, cause it's never in detail. :rolleyes:

Besides over/under clocking(which is not really needed on a iPhone), what can a rooted or non-rooted android do that a jailbroken iPhone can't? ..... IN DETAIL PLEASE.

19. diamond.g macrumors 603

diamond.g

Just one, update OTA. Can't do that on even a JB iPhone. (iOS 5 Beta withstanding, since there hasn't been any updates OTA, yet)

20. taps-1975 macrumors newbie

well my iPhone can put bookmarks in folders right out of the box - still waiting for the mighty android to be able to do the same.

21. diamond.g macrumors 603

diamond.g

Hey, Android can't play iTunes protected content, nor can it run iOS apps... :D

22. walie macrumors 6502a

There's an app for that

23. walie, Jul 11, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2011

walie macrumors 6502a

Just a few off the top of my head...

Tasker - context dependent task scheduler/full automation - http://lifehacker.com/5599116/how-to-turn-your-android-phone-into-a-fully+automated-superphone

Juicedefender - control CPU/3G/Wifi and a whole bunch of other things to extend battery life - http://latedroid.com/juicedefenderapp/

Titanium backup - not only backup all your apps to dropbox (which i believe iPhones can do) but have full control over which applications/processes are running that are not needed - http://matrixrewriter.com/android/

Complete backup and restore of your phone, no bloated iTunes necessary, or a computer for that matter, kinda like that PostPC stuff that Jobsey is blabbering about

Custom ROMs - ROM manager - backup, install or update roms either from an SD card or OTA

SetCPU - Why not overclocking? Just because YOU don't think its needed doesn't mean OTHER people won't find it useful, like the group of people who complain that every iOS update makes their silky smooth animations all stuttery and unusable - a little dab of overclocking will fix that right up.

24. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

There are JB apps similar to those. I'll admit they are not as robust in the settings, mainly cause devs know there's not a huge demand for battery saving on the iPhone vs the demand for it on Android. But if Devs want to make the same exact apps for the iPhone, they could easily do so and distribute it via Cydia or whatever.

SBSettings does the job for me.

Well iOS5 won't require iTunes. I myself have never minded backing up via iTunes. Unless I was to backup 100 times a week, I really don't care much about OTA much for entire backups.

This is device specific and not all Android devices have SD slots. And OTA will be here iOS5.

Also iOS & Android are to differ beasts.

IMO, iOS out of the box is already optimized to work extremely smooth ... so all that's really needed is a jailbreak for added functionality. There's really no reason for custom ROMs on the iPhone.

Android on the other hand is a whole differ story. It's more like the WM6 & below days. Devs will cook up a ROM that's better optimized to work for a specific device(s) mainly to solve a problem or cause the default ROM is crap. With WM, most ROMs were made for better memory management. With Android the big thing is power management.

Over/Under clocking should not be necessary on any new device. Also (correct me if I'm wrong), but it seems problems that some users are having with animations don't have anything to do with processing power at all. If that were the case, it would be widespread.

25. Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

SBSettings dont come close to doing what Titanium backup does. And what Android phones dont have an SD micro slot? Im pretty sure they ALL do....except for the Nexus S which isnt a top of the line phone but rather more a development phone that gets all the firmware upgrades first.