Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

smulji

macrumors 68030
Feb 21, 2011
Do you sit on the internet all day and criticize people's work or do you criticize their work to their face? Because no one likes either.
Too bad, so sad. If your work is s**t, it deserves to be called out. This is the big leagues, not high school. Even Steve Jobs called people’s work s**t when necessary. Those who couldn’t handle the heat, didn’t make it.

dwaite

macrumors 65816
Jun 11, 2008
I wouldn’t say he “called them out”. He asked a couple softball questions and bent over backwards to make their minimal answers look like home runs.

I get that he’s not going to get a bunch of apple execs booked year after if he’s tough, but this has become a waste of time. I don’t think asking a follow up or two would destroy his access.
They have zero requirement to answer the hard hitting questions with anything other than "we do not talk about future products" or another refusal. I don't know what sort of hard-hitting interview you think he was capable of getting out of them.

wigby

macrumors 68030
Jun 7, 2007
Too bad, so sad. If your work is s**t, it deserves to be called out. This is the big leagues, not high school. Even Steve Jobs called people’s work s**t when necessary. Those who couldn’t handle the heat, didn’t make it.
Ever since Jobs came back to Apple, he was a much different man. According to those around him, he was kinder and quicker to admit when he was wrong. I suppose you can pick which Jobs you prefer but please don't compare yourself to him.

Leehro

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2007
They have zero requirement to answer the hard hitting questions with anything other than "we do not talk about future products" or another refusal. I don't know what sort of hard-hitting interview you think he was capable of getting out of them.

That's not what I said. I don't expect hard hitting questions or questions about future products. There were barely any actual questions in the first place. He just kept equivocating and repeating their marketing messages ahead of any actual question, so he never really got to one. These are top executives at the most successful company. Ask them an actual question about the products they did make.

He could have asked about past products. Here's one: "The Mac Pro is your most capable and most expandable Mac. I know you have customers that love it, and they paid the price so they could configure it with additional GPUs and memory. The new model doesn't support that. What do you say to those customers? Why should they buy it over something else (like a Studio)" And then ask a follow up question, like "Are you interested in that market?". He was on to something with the mention of servers and cloud computing, but didn't really ask a question there.

It's a totally fair question about their most expensive computer. I doubt that would be off limits, but if it is, it just proves that these have become a total waste of time.

dwaite

macrumors 65816
Jun 11, 2008
Why should they buy it over something else (like a Studio)" And then ask a follow up question, like "Are you interested in that market?". He was on to something with the mention of servers and cloud computing, but didn't really ask a question there.
They give some vague answer about how they continue to be interested in serving the workflow needs of professionals, then if pressed further say they don't discuss future products.

The reality is that current M1/M2 SOCs have (common ARM) limitations that prevent efficient use by off-the-shelf dGPU/eGPU options.

If the real question is, "does Apple see it as important to make dGPU/eGPU work", I think the answer given was that they were more focused on making their iGPU and other parts of their existing SoC meet customer needs, and that when they look at real customer workflows the memory architecture enabled things dGPU/eGPU can't.

Asking about whether they have a product today that would help people with currently-GPU-requiring workflows _and_ existing tools for Mac (such as ML training) was a great way to go with the question, but the result was still a bit of a non-answer.

Apple doesn't try to "win" a market, they just try to take most of the money from it. Apple just isn't going to provide value for a hardware product targeting 3D render farms and AI training clusters.

It's a totally fair question about their most expensive computer. I doubt that would be off limits, but if it is, it just proves that these have become a total waste of time.
I don't know, there were a lot of really interesting tidbits about the development process of the new Macs and new headset that I don't think I would have ever learned about any other way.

Gruber did try to bring up things about the lack of information on any EU side loading features, but it was basically "we're working with regulators".

It's just going to be far easier to get them to talk about the things they did release, than to elaborate on the things they didn't release. This is an event in a theatre with people attending for fun, not the Nixon interviews.

We already know dGPU/eGPU support isn't there, Apple already knew that some people would be upset that it was missing, and we all know that there isn't going to be an ounce of information from Apple about if/when it is coming.

MacFarmer

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2022
Oh man, Gruber is such a bad presenter. He is so awkward and so nervous, like a little kid. And this is not a first time he is doing it! The time it takes for him to ask a question, the engagement, the awkward silences, the questions themselves are so so bad. I bet apple execs think that this is a time waste too. I think ATP would do a much better job than him. Just to be transparent: I used to read his site weekly, sometimes dayly, but I stopped reading his site few years ago. He pretends to be some kind of apple columnist, but actually he is just re-posting links to other sources. Just human curated read it latter bookmark :D

Yes I'm upset that he had this good chance to make a great conversation with with execs, and he did a really poor job at it. And yes, I know that the questions are pre approved, and vetted. But you can still do a much better job.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I’m genuinely not sure what you’re referring to here.
Why the need to only quote my post - and leave it out of context when clearly a button click away shows the context?

Craig killed it at the end with the guitar session. Coolest SVP at Apple. What a legend! 🐐

Make Craig the next CEO of Apple, please. He will do exceptionally well.
^ in context not the coolest SVP and definitely NOT a legend (not in the industry nor at Apple) ... but maybe according to young coders and fans of Craig.

Many other knowledgeable and hardware working and definitely REAL legends use to work at Apple and still didn't get to be seen as potential CEO's, nor did they most likely want to be.

I also forgot to mention Rubinstein

jonblatho

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2014
Oklahoma
Why the need to only quote my post - and leave it out of context when clearly a button click away shows the context?

^ in context not the coolest SVP and definitely NOT a legend (not in the industry nor at Apple) ... but maybe according to young coders and fans of Craig.

Many other knowledgeable and hardware working and definitely REAL legends use to work at Apple and still didn't get to be seen as potential CEO's, nor did they most likely want to be.

I also forgot to mention Rubinstein
As my bold text would suggest, I was asking what you were referring to by suggesting that macOS was free to upgrade under Bertrand Serlet, unless I misunderstood you.

If I understood you correctly: With the exception of Mac OS X 10.1, no macOS major version upgrades were free under Serlet or his predecessor Avie Tevanian. While the price for major version upgrades dropped significantly ($129 to $29) starting with Mac OS X Snow Leopard, which was under Serlet, free major version upgrades started on a permanent basis with OS X Mavericks, under Federighi.

Reactions: DeepIn2U
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.