Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brentsg

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
You missed my point. iPad got LTE just last week. Android devices have had it for a year now. So it could not have been an iPad back then even if you wanted to.

In summary, the OP could have had a feature that he didn't expect to be so awesome, on a device that he did not want.. a year ago.

whtrbt7

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2011
There's an AT&T tower near the exchange on Wall. You should have crystal clear reception in the area. Coverage downtown can be spotty depending on the type of paint your building uses :D. If you're in a pre-war building that hasn't stripped the lead paint off of the building, you'll experience a decent drop in signal strength.

pelicanflip

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2009
NYC
There's an AT&T tower near the exchange on Wall. You should have crystal clear reception in the area. Coverage downtown can be spotty depending on the type of paint your building uses :D. If you're in a pre-war building that hasn't stripped the lead paint off of the building, you'll experience a decent drop in signal strength.

I mentioned that I was on my Verizon iPad. And my building is pretty modern, it's just surrounded by a bunch of really tall buildings too. Some of which are kinda old.

CNeufeld

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2009
Edmonton, AB
I object to the use of "gay" as a derogatory term anywhere. On the other hand, for one reason or another, Apple and Apple products are associated with gays. Nothing wrong with that. Perhaps it's just a recognition of a design style or the fact that Apple CEO is gay.

Maybe he thought those other tablets were happy and carefree, and he objected to that?

C

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
In summary, the OP could have had a feature that he didn't expect to be so awesome, on a device that he did not want.. a year ago.

Exactly. Some people are so close-minded that they believe that Apple devices are always the best choice. Specs don't matter, you know. Well, it turns out that they do. When Motorola tablet has LTE and Apple tablet has HSPA (not even HSPA+), this spec means a lot as it turns out.

PaulNY

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2010
I'm about 18-20 miles north of Manhattan, no LTE love up here...work in Bergen County NJ, nothing there either..hopefully the wait wont be terrible, looking forward to the LTE speeds on my iPad

WyattFunderburk

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2010
Nashville, TN
Exactly. Some people are so close-minded that they believe that Apple devices are always the best choice. Specs don't matter, you know. Well, it turns out that they do. When Motorola tablet has LTE and Apple tablet has HSPA (not even HSPA+), this spec means a lot as it turns out.

And some people feel the need to hang out in forums for products they hate just to start arguments. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

boltjames

macrumors 601
Original poster
May 2, 2010

The OP is no Apple fanboy but wouldn't be caught dead with anything Android no matter how good the featureset is.

BJ

boltjames

macrumors 601
Original poster
May 2, 2010

The reasons I wouldn't even consider a non-Apple tablet are:

1. iTunes integration. Huge media collection, sync's across devices, not interested in re-doing some Android version of a media management system.

2. Airplay. I've got Apple TV's everywhere and the ability to sync my family photos/videos wirelessly and then broadcast them on my 55" HDTV instantly can't be under-appreciated.

3. Refined hardware/software. Apple is taking what they've learned in the first gen iPhone and iPad and are tweaking it perfectly every few months whereas the likes of Samsung and Motorola are still finding their formula for a successful first gen product. Steve Jobs said that the iPhone was a leapfrog product that was 5 years ahead of the competition; he's still right.

4. Family integration. My wife and kids all love their Apple devices, we share a single iTunes account, I get nice control over what apps they download, we save money by all using the same apps in multiple instances. Not interested in introducing a single Android product into the mix, not going to convert everyone over to a new platform because Samsung had LTE a year earlier.

5. Status. Yeah, it's on the list, but down low. I like having the real thing at a premium price, not some Android knock-off at a discount.

BJ

calilove

macrumors member
Mar 9, 2012
I've got a 35 minute train from Bergen County to Hoboken, PATH takes me right into Manhattan 8 minutes later. The caliber of commuter on my line, servicing a Top 20 Wealthiest County In America member is more akin to a country club than a public beach.

Though we could afford car services, taking the very-civilized NJ Transit to/from lower Manhattan is the way to go. Stop/go traffic in the back of a Lexus is nauseating and unnecessarily expensive.

BJ

This whole post is disgusting.

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
The reasons I wouldn't even consider a non-Apple tablet are:

1. iTunes integration. Huge media collection, sync's across devices, not interested in re-doing some Android version of a media management system.

2. Airplay. I've got Apple TV's everywhere and the ability to sync my family photos/videos wirelessly and then broadcast them on my 55" HDTV instantly can't be under-appreciated.

3. Refined hardware/software. Apple is taking what they've learned in the first gen iPhone and iPad and are tweaking it perfectly every few months whereas the likes of Samsung and Motorola are still finding their formula for a successful first gen product. Steve Jobs said that the iPhone was a leapfrog product that was 5 years ahead of the competition; he's still right.

4. Family integration. My wife and kids all love their Apple devices, we share a single iTunes account, I get nice control over what apps they download, we save money by all using the same apps in multiple instances. Not interested in introducing a single Android product into the mix, not going to convert everyone over to a new platform because Samsung had LTE a year earlier.

5. Status. Yeah, it's on the list, but down low. I like having the real thing at a premium price, not some Android knock-off at a discount.

BJ

Most points here are valid except for the last one. iPhone and iPad being most widely owned types of mobile devices surely can't be considered status devices. They are as ubiquitous as they come. :)

panzer06

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2006
Kilrath
You did not have to wait for new iPad to enjoy LTE. You could have had LTE-enabled Android device for one year now.

True and I did but while I enjoy the freedom and flexibility (of Android) the ease of use and UI (of iPad) brought me back to Apple this year. My rooted ICS 96GB Xoom is on the shelf for now.

Cheers,

Last edited:

macbook123

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2006
The Unlimited Data Plan is my friend.

And even if it weren't, my usage habits wouldn't change because of the speed. I'd still read the same amount of news articles each day. It's just less frustrating as there's no wait for the pages to load.

BJ

Sorry for the stupid question, but how do you have an unlimited data plan?

Grandfathered in?

I used to have the unlimited plan on the first iPad, but sold it long time ago. Can I still get back that unlimited plan?

superfula

macrumors 6502
Mar 17, 2002
Or just use a Droid RAZR Maxx. 3300mAh battery, people are consistently getting 30+ hours of moderate/heavy 4G LTE use out of the phone between charges.

False.

That's not correct. Motorola Xoom and Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.7 (which BTW is half the weight of iPad)

Of course it's lighter, it's significantly smaller than the iPad.

both have battery time around 10 hours. And Motorola Razr MAXX gets more than 8 hours of web browsing (on LTE) in real life which is probably close to iPad (but that's a phone not a tablet)

No idea why even bring this up when it only matches and loses to the iPad.

You missed my point. iPad got LTE just last week. Android devices have had it for a year now. So it could not have been an iPad back then even if you wanted to.

Given the OS Android phones were running at that time, people were sacrificing a significant amount of usability.

boltjames

macrumors 601
Original poster
May 2, 2010

Grandfathered in?

I used to have the unlimited plan on the first iPad, but sold it long time ago. Can I still get back that unlimited plan?

Bought the iPad 1 on the first hour the doors opened and selected the unlimited data plan. About three weeks later, AT&T discontinued the plan but agreed to grandfather existing users in.

You can't get the plan back because you dropped it (sorry) its only available for those who got it in Spring 2010 and never let it go.

BJ

pelicanflip

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2009
NYC

Grandfathered in?

Yes, unfortunately, you'd have to be grandfathered in. Otherwise, many more customers would be using unlimited data.

mattwestside

macrumors member
Sep 3, 2009
WOW.

The LTE coverage in the city is fantastic, fastest mobile speeds I've ever seen. Best part is that on my daily train commute there are 4 deadspots that have gone from, well, "dead", to LTE. It's insane how good this is.

Had Apple doubled the weight, halved the resolution, and doubled the price I'd have still bought one; the LTE speeds are ridiculous, completely changes the experience.

BJ

We're all aware of the iPad's pricing scheme....there's no need to have it in your signature. Is there?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.