The thick lines behind the iPhone 6 are for wireless charging ?

DBZmusicboy01

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 30, 2011
There's just no other purpose than that.

Why will Apple have those big lines for if it doesn't have a use for it?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Don't think we know there would be lines to begin with. And even if there are doesn't mean they are there for some specific use.

jlake02

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2008
L.A.
I really hope they're for some "new" tech because if they're not old Ive is going to have a lot of explaining to do... they're so ugly :(

CarmelMacchiato

macrumors member
Aug 9, 2014
Who's going to see them anyway. Most of the lamestream slap some tacky plastic case on it.

Last edited:

iBanker

macrumors regular
Aug 14, 2014
46th floor
The upcoming iPhone boycott due to "linegate" will surely cause Apple to do an emergency redesign! You heard it here first!

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Be nice if they served some other purpose. I could overlook their appearance if that was the case.

Keep in mind its very difficult to get dissimilar materials to color match perfectly especially with age and wear. A lot of the time its better to design it to look different because in the end intentionally doing that is better then it accidentally happening over time. Sometimes it just looks bad from the start if you try to match it.

Like on a car that a body panel was damaged. If the car is older the body shop will need to blend the paint so it looks seamless and then make it look slightly older so it matches. Even then its very noticeable to the trained eye.

juanrp

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2014
Florida
They're just antenna bands. I don't see the purpose of NFC. I haven't seen a single person in my life use NFC.

But then again, we don't know.

lynyrd65

macrumors member
May 21, 2011
I don't get all the hate. The lines don't bother me. I would much rather have better signal than have some fashion symbol.

The thing I do worry about is the protruding camera lense. That guarantees that I will have to use a case.

CarmelMacchiato

macrumors member
Aug 9, 2014
I don't get all the hate. The lines don't bother me. I would much rather have better signal than have some fashion symbol.

The thing I do worry about is the protruding camera lense. That guarantees that I will have to use a case.
The camera lens is most likely sapphire like on the 5/5S so I wouldn't be too concerned about that either.

juanrp

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2014
Florida
Really where do u live? The outback??
Haha...I guess? Not really funny, if that's what you were going for.

But no, if you took an extra .5 seconds to look at my location, or just glance at it, you'd know that I am in Florida.

Never seen NFC..never.

Hexaea

macrumors member
Nov 29, 2008
Chicago
Haha...I guess? Not really funny, if that's what you were going for.

But no, if you took an extra .5 seconds to look at my location, or just glance at it, you'd know that I am in Florida.

Never seen NFC..never.

Chicago reporting in, also never seen anyone actually use NFC.

juanrp

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2014
Florida
Chicago reporting in, also never seen anyone actually use NFC.
Hmm, now that I think about it, I think I have seen some keypads that have it on top of them, like at McDonald's, but have never seen someone use it.

Old fashion 'swipe card' feature.
:rolleyes:

lynyrd65

macrumors member
May 21, 2011
The thing is, the current NFC environment is insecure and lacks standards. Apple will change that with Touch ID and IOS 8.

I fully expect NFC with the new iPhone to be the start of a mobile payment revolution that will end with physical credit and debit cards becoming obsolete.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Really where do u live? The outback??
Why is it really widespread in most places? Have barely seen it in Silicon Valley, and you'd think that would be a place where things of that nature would be even more common.