The thing I hate about the rMBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by UBS28, Mar 9, 2013.

1. UBS28 macrumors 6502a

Spending so much on that laptop, you don't even get top of the line components. It's not even certain that your SSD is made by Samsung.

I know Apple hates Samsung, but the fact remains that Samsung is the best at what they do and when you spend so much on a laptop that is not user-upgradeable, at least ship it with SSD's from Samsung such as the Samsung 840 Pro.

It's a lottery if you get a rMBP with a screen and SSD from Samsung.

2. Sean76 macrumors 6502

Sean76

Do you own a rMBP? Or are you planning on getting one?

3. UBS28 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Planning on getting one with Haswell. If my rMBP doesn't have one from Samsung, it's going back for sure :)

4. Brian Y macrumors 68040

Oh dear god.

Just buy the thing and be happy with it. If you love Samsung so much, buy one of their laptops.

5. locoboi187 macrumors 6502a

I'm sure by Haswell, whichever manufacture Apple picks will have their **** together. And I haven't heard of any SSD issues on the rMBP. Am I missing out on something? I know about the whole LG vs Samsung display panel thing, but I guess I'm out of the loop with the SSD haha. Enjoying my rMBP though, Samsung display.

6. Liquinn Suspended

I'm waiting for Skylake currently... or should I wait for Skymount?

7. jamezr macrumors G3

jamezr

do yourself a favor and just don't buy it....you are already stating your displeasure with the rMBP line so why buy one?

8. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Since you already hate it, why even bother buying it?

9. Yamcha macrumors 68000

The fanboyism is clearly showing in many of the comments. Frankly I would also be hesitant to buy any laptop that is known to have heating issues due to SSD's or any other component.

If I were you I'd wait for the next Macbook Retina refresh, by then I suspect the issues will be resolved. Or perhaps a firmware update may just fix this issue in the future.

Samsung, whether you guys choose to accept it or not has one of the best SSD's in the market in terms of reliability and performance.

10. UBS28 thread starter macrumors 6502a

The rMBP's with non-Samsung SSD's have heating issues. (So the good rMBP's are the ones with Samsung SSD + Samsung displays.)

Nice that you ended up with a Samsung display. Hope I'll be lucky enough that mine will also be a Samsung.

11. swerve147 macrumors 6502a

swerve147

Just to clarify, we're not talking about heating issues in rMBPs with Sandisk SSDs. We're talking about random fan spikes. In other words, the fans spin up for no reason. Nothing's overheating at this point.

12. KPOM macrumors G5

It isn't heating issues. It's a firmware issue that is causing the fan to act up sometimes. I'm sure Sandisk and Apple will find a fix. Would you prefer that Apple use the new Samsung SSD 840 that was causing failure issues for AnandTech?

My point isn't to bash the Samsung SSD. It's just to point out that Samsung isn't immune to those sorts of issues, either. And it isn't as if Apple is the only high-end manufacturer who uses multiple suppliers.

I've had a MacBook Air with the Toshiba drive. It was fine. I have a rMBP with the LG screen and Samsung SSD. It's fine, too. The Samsung 830 drive that Apple uses is slower than the 840 and some of the newer drives, but it is more reliable. Sandisk is a step up from Toshiba, which struggles with incompressible data.

13. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I agree - If you're unhappy with the the components then don't spend the money. Vote with your wallet.

Personally I don't care what label the components have, as long as the laptop works as I expect it too. Of all the the years I've owned apple laptops, I've never once decided for or against the laptop because of who makes the storage, ram or display and never once have I been disappointed.

14. Sean76 macrumors 6502

Sean76

All this talk about Haswell is so ridiculous already! Most of the people talking and filling up forums probably wouldn't even know the difference between the current units and the next generation ones. I get the whole excitement about how improved the Graphics will be and what not, but all this talk from so many people saying...I'm waiting for Haswell, the computer is no good without Haswell is just so annoying already.

1st off the Haswell chips aren't being released until June, so who even knows when they will make it into the next generation of Macbooks. They very well may not turn up until the fall of 2013...lol, that's roughly 8 months away!

I can see a real gamer maybe stating they want to see what these chips bring to the table, but the average person that's just sitting around, poking on the internet, and trying to figure out what's best to buy should really look no further then the current generation of Macbook pros available today...Amazing how some people could be so hyped about something they probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference about anyway!

15. vatter69 macrumors 6502a

vatter69

Coud not agree more. It's getting ridiculous. People even opening threads whether they should wait for Skylake or whatever the next,next reincarnation of Haswell is going to be.

16. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Well that`s always been the tendency here, newer, better, greater, you know how it is. Those willing to wait for the 13" Retina with Haswell should see a real world benefit, the 15" not so much, other than that it`s the same old, same old :p

If you need buy now, buy now, if you can wait, well wait just don't expect a mind blowing experience unless you are coming from a 4-5 year old machine ;) the single most significant improvement to performance for most computers now is the SSD.

----------

:rolleyes: Another waste of bandwidth...

17. locoboi187 macrumors 6502a

I guess I'm lucky. Samsung screen and SSD is SM256E, which I'm pretty sure is Samsung too from what I read on the forums. However, I've been reading that not a lot have been getting Toshiba but some got Sandisk. I think I just got lucky with arguably the best manufacture versions for the rMBP.

18. 1member1 macrumors 6502

all the people who hate or say the current rmbp is suck are those who don't have it and plan to buy it in late 2013.

Apple cannot rely on one ssd manufacture. samsung has good SSDS but they are not the only one.

19. adjeff8 macrumors 6502

adjeff8

It's really not so much about Haswell, my point is that I want the 15" retina in a bad way but I will never buy a Apple 1st generation anything. Especially when we're talking about $2,500. And this latest tiny spec bump doesn't qualify as a 2nd generation

20. Sean76 macrumors 6502

Sean76

Your point for your needs may in fact be valid...Depends on what your using the machine for.

However the thing thats getting under mine and a lot of other peoples skin is the amount of talk, and amount of threads basically dedicated to the sole purpose of people just belly aching about how bad the retina machines are now, and how they're waiting for Haswell like it's the cure for all computer woo's. And as stated by a few including myself, we don't even know for sure when we'll even see these machines.

Honestly as a 13 inch rMBP owner and tech geek who goes through a ton of tech gadgets a year I can honestly say my machine is awesome, I grin every time I take it out of my lap top bag, I love it and feel like it's the best lap top that I've ever owned. Now will something better come along at some point, absolutely! But for the time being I feel like this machine is awesome.

21. racer1441 macrumors 68000

Don't even own one and your complaining. Don't ever buy one. Buy one of samsung's pos machines.

22. huskernation macrumors newbie

Oh for craps sake, thanks for returning perfectly good laptops so legitimate buyers can absorb the cost of returns through higher prices. As stated earlier, DON'T BOTHER!

23. idunn, Mar 9, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2013

idunn macrumors 6502

Prime time in training

With the recent price reduction the rMBP is all the more tempting. The quandary comes with Haswell on the horizon, with the prospect of some significant performance improvements especially with the 13" rMBP. However, entirely aside from Haswell, there may be more compelling reasons to forego this first iteration.

There are reports by perfectly content rMBP owners with seemingly nary a problem. So that. But in consideration also many with some of the following:

• Image retention. This seems a roll of the dice on an otherwise lovely screen with problems that may only appear six months later. One would be advised to purchase Apple Care (for this alone), and also possibly plan on having one's baby visit the "hospital" at least once.

• Turbo fans. Something that seems to afflict primarily the 15" rMBP models, in fans inexplicably scrolling up to max, concurrently system speed throttled down. Very annoying and limiting. Some find temporary solace in constantly resetting SMC. It has been suggested this may be a hardware defect, not solved by a software update.

• Wi-fi blackouts. Perhaps only Apple can answer why a brand new retina should repeatedly drop its wi-fi signal or suffer significantly slower speeds when older MBPs do not. The use of bluetooth in conjunction with wi-fi often seems an issue. It has been suggested that the retina is not to blame but one's otherwise fine (until now) router that all else still uses fine.

• Blazing hot. Why should one risk burning their fingertips on the keyboard, or otherwise find their retina doubles well as a cooktop? Some report such issues, and apparently this beyond the propensity of all the aluminum models to disperse heat with alacrity.

• UI lag. Some report few if any issues in scrolling or lag in general. Others not as happy and questioning why their quite expensive new notebook should be performing worse than a MBP a year or two older. Or, why would one even think of this unless…?

On the other hand, there is the opinion that these new retina models represent the near perfect notebook. Indeed they may—and perhaps all the more so when Version B with Haswell appears. Until then, Apple seems to be using its customers as guinea pigs in sorting out a few things it might like to change in the future.

Caveat emptor.

24. B... macrumors 68000

B...

Completely agree. I think some customers are just too immersed in the details like brand and not focused enough on the impression it makes. When I went to the Apple Store today, I thought how amazing the rMBP was, not, "Oh, I hope it doesn't come with a Toshiba Ssd, because that would ruin the whole product for me!" I think if there was no way to tell what brand people have, most wouldn't know the difference.

Just my two cents.

25. swerve147 macrumors 6502a

swerve147

No one is burning their fingers on the keyboard. Temps are hot, but not enough to cook something on them. That's just nonsense. As for WiFi, I've been on this board for the past few months and every WiFi issue that has been brought up has been resolved due to external conditions, not the Retina MacBook. I'd like to see some of these links claiming Wifi is borked on the rMBP if you have the chance to provide them.