The Tonight Show with Conan O'Brien!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by emt1, Jun 1, 2009.

1. emt1 macrumors 65816

2. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

There was more funny in the opening skit (the cross country run thing) than there was in 17 years of Leno :D

I am a Letterman and Ferguson guy myself, but I am watching the first Conan episode just to see it and I may set the DVR to record this too.

3. emt1 thread starter macrumors 65816

Agreed. Completely. This means I get to go to bed earlier, too. Another plus!

4. dopey220 macrumors 6502

dopey220

So far, I approve. Love the appearance of his Taurus.

5. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

His first ep airs here in several hours. I can't wait, the few months with Leno and Fallon has made me depressed. Leno was decent, but not amazing like Conan. Fallon just plain sucks.

6. DrStrange macrumors member

7. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

It was great that Conan kept his 12:30 humor and just evolved it. A nice change from Leno's old person humor.

Fallon is getting better but a lot of his humor is just uncomfortable. Most of his jokes die.

8. Surely Guest

Surely

I'm going to check out tonight's show. I haven't watched Conan in a few years because I don't stay up that late during the week anymore.

I'm glad he's on at 11:30 now!

9. jecapaga macrumors 601

jecapaga

I'll be checking this out in a couple hours. Nice to hear that it's off to a good start.

10. chstr macrumors 6502a

chstr

11. Randman macrumors 65816

Randman

Andy was a little forced. Get him on the couch and let him be Andy. Pearl Jam sounded off. They also needed to play a classic with the new song.

Loved the opening bit. A little too much Will Ferrell.

12. luminosity macrumors 65816

luminosity

I'm more of a Leno fan than of Conan. Nothing personal, I just prefer the more classic style Leno has, and my preference is almost always for understated/dry vs. what Conan brings to the table.

13. jecapaga macrumors 601

jecapaga

Pretty funny that he took the Universal tram out on the streets. Circle, circle, circle..!

14. Mike Teezie macrumors 68020

Mike Teezie

Love Conan, but it seemed a little forced. I'm sure he'll get the kinks worked out, and it will be brilliant.

Will Ferrel was awful. Amazingly unfunny.

Pearl Jam was cool, but the mix wasn't doing them any favors.

For Andy, I agree, get him on the couch. I want more weird, scripted awesomeness with Max.

15. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Without a doubt, Conan isn't for everyone. His type of humor is... well it isn't the bland humor for old people that was Jay Leno. And I applaud that.

Having been a huge fan of Conan for many years (his years of writing for The Simpsons are IMO their heyday), I am glad to see him a little earlier. It's a big night for him, so there's no surprise that he might be a wee bit nervous. The in studio audience is probably 2+x the size that he's used to, and the potential TV audience is even bigger.

I thought it was pretty good and set my TiVo on stun. I bagged on Pearl Jam. Sounded terrible to me.

But I'd like to know WTF Leno & NBC is thinking coming on at 10PM every night? He should take a daytime show opposite Tyra or something. Around the time when old folks are heading to bed. :rolleyes:

16. chstr macrumors 6502a

chstr

I disagree. I think ferrel kind of helped Conan out of his nerves. I though Pearl Jam sucked, although I appreciate the attempt at an earthy sound. I definitely don't want to see andy on the couch but DO want to see more of Max.

17. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Leno at 10 will cheapen the Tonight Show, and is NBC wiling to give up a full hour of prime time programing. They should have let him go to ABC and had a real 3 way fight. I don't know if the bigger issue with Pearl Jam was the mix or just the band getting too old.

18. Deefuzz macrumors 6502a

Deefuzz

It was a great debut show. I missed Conan.

All was great except for Pearl Jam, they are terrible.

19. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I think most of the funny bits will be there. The first night is not a real night of comedy. The first night is getting his feet wet. I can't wait for the masturbating bear to make his first Tonight Show appearance.:D

20. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Neither. Pearl Jam has always sucked :D

21. Deefuzz macrumors 6502a

Deefuzz

I'm glad someone finally said it.

22. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

They were good back in the day, the problem is that they are still around. I was hoping they would sing a classic song last night.

23. NoSmokingBandit macrumors 68000

NoSmokingBandit

His new set is just amazing. Such great design and color, i love it.

Conan wasnt quite as funny as i expected for the debut, but it will probably take a few days to get used to the new time slot, studio, etc...

Its great to have him back though.

24. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

I'm spending my lunch time watching Best of Conan clips on Hulu.
    People have been coming by my office to see what all the laughing is about.

Did anyone notice the mugshot of Glenn Campbell worked into the set design background above where the guests sits?
    Local radio statin says it's there, but I can't see it.

25. chstr macrumors 6502a

chstr

the opening scene was so cool. Conan running through manhattan and across the GW. Love it