The touch does not have auto-correcting keyboard??

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Evangelion, Sep 17, 2007.

1. Evangelion macrumors 68040

I was reading the review at Ars Technica, and I noticed this:

Is that true?

OK, I have participated in the thread about the crippled calendar on the touch. And I thought it was not a big deal. But lately I have started to change my tune. They should NOT cripple the software. So far we have removed apps (notes, email), degraded apps (calendar) and now we have degraded data-entry. Why, oh why?!?!? Where is the rationale?

2. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

3. sblasl macrumors 6502a

sblasl

When people finally wake up and come to the realization that the iPod touch is not an extension of the iPhone product line, it will only be then that they can accept it for what it is and enjoy it.

4. Evangelion thread starter macrumors 68040

Maybe because there is no point in artificially making product WORSE? How would you feel if you bought a car with V6-engine, only to find out that it only had three functioning cylinders?

Anyway: I'm glad that the auto-correction IS present on the touch :).

5. madmaxmedia macrumors 68030

it depends on the context, some places it is disabled (passwords, etc.) I am typing this on the Touch and it is auto-correcting.

6. RumMunkey macrumors 6502a

RumMunkey

Sigh. One last time.

The iPod touch is a mobile entertainment device.
    The iPhone is a mobile communications device.

Each has it's role, thus THEY DIFFER.

Complaining that the touch doesn't have the same apps as the iPhone is like complaining that a Mazda XR-8 doesn't have the same towing capacity as an F-150!

They are 2 different automobiles, with 2 different purposes; even though they both have 4 wheels and an engine.

7. sblasl macrumors 6502a

sblasl

Thank you, my point exactly!

8. twynne macrumors 6502a

Well - taking that argument a bit further... why does one need a calculator or full web-browser on an 'entertainment device'? And if the browser were only there to support browsing/buying music, why not limit it to just the Apple site/store?

I can understand the argument that this is just an extension of the iPod line, but this argument becomes increasingly difficult when Apple choose to include *some* applications but not others.

9. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Well, if it was a recent model Accord, I'd feel the Honda engineers had done their job and were saving me money. :p (As long as the three non-functional cylinders came back when I needed them).

B

10. sblasl macrumors 6502a

sblasl

And that is Apple's choice/decision.

11. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

That doesn't mean the consumers are obligated to approve of it.

12. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

Agreed,

Both sides have great points, however it is the consumer approval / interest that is going to sell these products, hence make Apple money.

I view my iPod touch as an upgrade to my 5g (which I still have) in that light, it is a great upgrade, with many new amazing features.

13. Dimitryi macrumors newbie

Okay, so the Touch is a mobile entertainment device and the iPhone is a mobile communications device. I'm with you there.

But what does the Touch offer as a mobile entertainment device that the iPhone's entertainment and multimedia capabilities do not? 8 more gigs of memory?

The Touch even loses features from the iPhone that I could consider "mobile entertainment" features. Like the physical volume controls. With the iPhone, you can change the music volume without taking the device out of your pocket and looking at it. But with the Touch, the mobile entertainment device, you can not.

14. RumMunkey macrumors 6502a

RumMunkey

It doesn't need a calculator. They can take it off for all I care to be honest.

As for the web browser... last time I checked, the web was a form of entertainment (or, more specifically a delivery method thereof).

15. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

btw, after a wee bit of prodding from myself and a couple of other posters, the review has been edited.

It now reads:

16. aristobrat macrumors G4

I thought Steve specifically covered the browser part during the special event.

Some WiFi services require that you login through a web browser before your device can use the network. Some WiFi services, even if free, require that you use your browser to agree to their terms of service before your device can use the network.

So even the sole intention of WiFi on the touch was for the Apple site/store, it'd still require a unrestricted browser to be able to be used in most public places.

17. iMJustAGuy macrumors 68020

iMJustAGuy

no bc then everyone would be B****ing about that..! (not having a calc.)

18. Evangelion thread starter macrumors 68040

Sigh. One last time.

There are significant differences between iTouch and iPhone at the hardware-level. If you need a phone, iTouch will onbiously not be suitable, you need iPhone. iPhone can do everything iTouch can do, and more. And for that extra functionality, you pay a bit extra.

Now, there is exactly ZERO need for artificial software-crippling in this case, there are already differences in the hardware. But please do tell me: how does this crippling benefit me, the user? Go on, I'm waiting. How does it benefit me that the touch does not have email, editable calendar or notes? Please tell me.

It's nowhere near the same. iTouch and iPhone are practically identical, save for few hardware-differencec. F-150 and MX-8 are VASTLY different cars. Yes, they are both cars, but there are different kind of cars out there. iTouch and iPhone are practically identical hardware, save for few missing pieces of missing hardware-functionality on the touch. So why is it's SOFTWARE crippled?

"but it's because iPhone is the communications-device, while iTouch is the mediaplayer...". Then why does iPhone have a built-in iPod? Why does iTouch have contacts, calendar, email etc. etc.? How exactly would iTouch be a WORSE device if it had REAL calendar, notes and email?

Are you SERIOUSLY trying to defend the practice of actually making products WORSE on purpose? Is THAT what you are doing here?

19. aristobrat macrumors G4

Gesh, you act like this is something new.

Ever wonder why the MacBook doesn't have a backlighted keyboard, FireWire 800, a choice in screen coatings, or any other thing that the MacBook Pro has? Tell us those weren't choices made by Apple "to make it WORSE on purpose" (as compared to the MacBook Pro).

It's fine that you want the iPod touch to be a mobile communicator, but that's not how Apple is marketing it, and no matter how much you stomp your feet around here, it's probably not going to change anytime soon.

20. KittyToy macrumors 6502

KittyToy

you people complain to damn much, if you don't like it take ya money else where. lets be honest Steve only put wifi on there so you can spend more money on itunes while on the go. he did not intend for it to be PDA. if you want a PDA go buy one simple. otherwise suck it up and shut up. on another note I love my iPhone and soon I will love my New red Nano...TY Steve for my 100 credit...whoooooooooo hoooooooooooo I'm officially an apple FanGirl!:D now someone give me some insight on these imac's I think I need to fully convert but I:) wont give up my Toshiba laptop.....We are InSynced!

21. isaac17 macrumors member

As far as the macbook keybaord goes, I liked it a lot better than my new backlit macbook pro keyboard, obviously they couldn't do the separate keys like that while keeping the lighting. The firewire 800 is also a hardware thing, we're talking software. They just copied and pasted the calendar software over, but the whole 'no adding new events' is a deliberate act to make iphone better.

Not worth complaining about, because hopefully itouch will be hacked soon and we'll get our precious mobilemail.app and normal calendar app, but still, it doesn't annoy you at ALL that apple took out the add event out of calendar or left out Mail?

22. mrkgoo macrumors 65816

Exactly. It's probably even more akin to, say, my PowerBook, which came with stuff like Graphic Converter, omnigraffle and so on - iBooks at the time didn't - are they crippling lower end models by not including software? Maybe, but it's not really that big a deal.

As much as I'd love a mail app on the touch, Apple are entitled to include what they want with it.

If it hurts so bad, maybe you should think of it not so much as a crippling of the iTouch, but a bonus feature in the iPhone.

Just because the hardware is capable of running something doesn't mean you should get it free.

23. PygmySurfer macrumors 6502

All hardware, not software. Not allowing Mail, or editable contacts on the iPod touch is more akin to Apple not letting you run Photoshop on a non-pro Mac.

24. screensaver400 macrumors 6502a

Hear hear.

The F-150 and MX-8 argument would be apt if people were complaining about the 5G iPod not being able to run YouTube, Safari, Mail, Contacts, etc. That isn't the case. The biggest hardware difference is the lack of GSM/EDGE. Other than that, stuff is just moved around.

I understand they don't want to cut into iPhone sales. So let me buy the "missing" Apps from iTunes for $9.99 or $4.99, depending on the capabilities. I'd buy Mail for $9.99 and Weather for $4.99.

25. TonyHoyle macrumors 6502a

Perhaps they'll let us do just that.. the thing runs OSX after all - not a lot of point in having a proper OS in there if all it's going to run its entire life is the calculator and safari. The 'ipod games' that get produced for it might actually be worth buying for once, too.