The Truth about the A5X, Ram, and GPU ect

Discussion in 'iPad' started by borgqueenx, Mar 11, 2012.

1. borgqueenx, Mar 11, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2012

borgqueenx macrumors 65816

This is the truth, no one knows yet.
    I wanted to make this thread since i saw so many people talk about the a5x like they knew everything about it!
    No one knows about RAM. maybe it got a 512 and 256mb, or just 1GB.
    No one knows about A5X. Maybe its dual core, maybe its hybrix gpu and cpu. maybe its been upgraded to a15 architecture. maybe not! Maybe its 1ghz, maybe its 1.5ghz!
    No one knows about the GPU. maybe its a slight upgraded GPU instead of just 2 cores added!

We're macrumors here. Not everything is the truth immediatly.
    But since we're macrumors, i am going to say i actually expect a fairly big upgrade in terms of processing and graphics power. Because the battery still only allows 10 hours while having 70% more battery!!! Ofc the extra led bar behind the retina display(probaly) and the pixels themselfs ect ect sucks up power. but 70%??? Na, i think we're also having a nice cpu/gpu upgrade.

But again.....we know nothing. Dont act like you know until there has been a teardown ;) :apple:

Edit: thanks for the downvote you downvoters. At least i stay at the truth:)

2. Buildbright macrumors 6502a

Thank you. So many people on here act like they are some engineer/detective because they hang on every word at the keynote and use some silly math equation.

No one on here knows for 100%. If you did you would be blogging and getting insane traffic. I was raised in not running ones mouth until you know for sure. Because after awhile people think you are a fool.

3. MacAttacka macrumors 6502

I thought the A5 was plenty fast in the iPad 2. The big deal this time round is the retina and Apple would have ensured such a screen was backed up with just the right amount of ram, GPU, CPU and battery all with a minimum 10hr usage per charge. Whatever the guts are in the new iPad is certainly draws a hell of a lot of battery.

Like you suggest, its probably primarily the screen. 4x the resolution is powered by the quad GPU. Although thats the main bump, I could image the CPU still plays a part feeding 4 times the information to the GPU. I think the clocks are higher, not that we would ever expect Apple to tell us. We know the A5x is the A5 on steroids. It makes much more sense to has two supercharged cores than 4 slower ones. iOS apps are not very multithreaded anyway.

I think once we start playing with our new iPads we'll all appreciate Apple have done awesomely with the new iPad whatever they included in the A5x.

4. cole01 macrumors 6502

I can't wait to find out what's powering the new beast. It's fun and mysterious that Apple is so mum on specs but also very frustrating. 16th hurry up!

5. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

We know more than that.

It's the A5 CPU clocked at the same 1GHz. It's also still 45nm.
    It definitely doesn't have 256MB (common sense).
    It probably doesn't have 512, because graphics memory is shared and the retina display requires a large amount of video memory.
    Probably 1GB, because Apple doesn't overdo things.
    The GPU is the iPad's 2 core GPU with four cores. It's the same hardware as in the PS Vita. Serious horsepower.

A lot of what you said was already verified.

6. daleski75 macrumors 68000

daleski75

7. borgqueenx thread starter macrumors 65816

so, whats your source?
    I ment 256mb plus 512mb. not just only 256mb.

8. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

a testing data screen for the iPad leaked a few days back that listed the number of wired/unwired pages in use. When you did the math, it came out to 1015MB or somewhere around there...which is 1GB of RAM

9. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

Can't be 768MB. Nobody but GPU manufacturers use that amount, and they've stopped as well. And as the above poster said, most likely 1GB.

10. whtrbt7 macrumors 6502a

It's not truth that we spout here but conjecture. When people like me say something about overall speed and what we know, we are speculating on performance. Normally, with educated guesses, we get pretty close. We also base our answers on what is currently available as consumer technology and do a heads-up comparison. While it's true that we don't know how much RAM the iPad 2012 has, it can be speculated it has at least 256MB of RAM. RAM is important for paging certain applications and running applications in the background so most of us hope we have at least 512MB of RAM or even a full 1GB of RAM. It's important to have at least 512MB of RAM now so considering the Retina display, if the iPad doesn't have at least 512MB of RAM, we'll see slowdown happen when we run more than a few apps. Apple chipsets are also sandwiched with multiple layers so we know it's a single processor with multiple cores and with a graphics layer. We also know that the 4x performance comes from the graphics chip because what Apple is concerned with is not base calculations from a CPU but rendering speed of a GPU. The reason why the iPad 2012 "seems" faster is due to rendering speed. Granted, I still get a little bit of lag when I open some books on iBooks but the 2012 iPad will be able to load the book faster due to the combination of CPU and GPU. When there is a teardown, we will end up re-evaluating but most of us tech people are pretty certain about performance and those of us spec-heads that understand "real-world" performance will understand that the 2012 iPad is faster than current Android models even with ICS.

11. borgqueenx thread starter macrumors 65816

Ah it was leaked. So...its a rumor;)

----------

Is there a app store app we can start to see the inside?
    Then we have fast anawer on 16 march.

12. jmpnop macrumors 6502a

jmpnop

Even though the iPad has more things to process compared to iPhone, Apple intentionally went with 256MB RAM in the original iPad. Safari often ran out of memory, and eventually when iPad 2 was released people were forced to upgrade. That said, I wouldn't be surprised if the new iPad has 512MB RAM:rolleyes:

13. TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

14. Anlino macrumors member

The Epic people said that the iPad 3 has more RAM than the current stationary consoles, which both have 512 MB. As some poster wrote above, it is highly unlikely that it has 768 MB, and knowing Apple, they wouldn't overdo it and go for 1,5 GB. That means that the iPad 3 most likely has 1 GB memory.

15. borgqueenx thread starter macrumors 65816

Yes. Assumpions and guesses.
    Thanks for the idiotic downvoters who cant see logic in my post.
    The post vote system is crap anyway.

16. whtrbt7 macrumors 6502a

Let's put it this way, if Apple was able to make the 2012 iPad have only 512MB of RAM, it's a marvel of modern engineering. Do more with less is always the mantra of all engineers.

17. Radio macrumors 68000

its been revealed that the ipad has a gig of ram.

anyways - ur post is crazy

18. Saberon macrumors 6502a

Quad core graphics + 4x the pixels with 512mb of RAM? No way in hell. My iPad 2 gets low on memory after I start doing enough on it.

19. Defender2010, Mar 11, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2012

Defender2010 macrumors 68030

Defender2010

A more apt title for your thread may have been:
    " Nobody knows the truth about the A5X, Ram and GPU 'ETC' " rather than " The truth about the A5X, Ram and GPU ect " as it suggests you know the truth and wish to declare something with us all, but as it turns out, you don't and this thread is just an opportunity for you to shout a bit and make your voice heard. We know we can guess and speculate, and it's just a bit of banter, so don't get so wound up. All will be revealed soon by iFixit or whoever...
    A big THUMBS DOWN vote from me...:(

Sorry, but badly titled threads bug me, as I think I am going to read something interesting, but don't....:p

20. whtrbt7 macrumors 6502a

The truth is, Apple stole the tech from the aliens that are housed in area 51. They backwards engineered their technology so they have advancements for the next 20 years. Unfortunately for the aliens, Apple geniuses accidentally activated the transponder on the ship and sent a message stating "We are coming to get your technology and kill all of you in your hibernation cycles." So after 20 years, we will be in a technological dark ages. The end.

21. DreamPod macrumors 65816

DreamPod

We do know some things as fact. We know the device has more than 512MB Ram. We know the GPU is twice as powerful as iPad 2. We know that the screen has 4 times as many pixels as iPad 2, so only being twice as fast means that an app taking full advantage of the new screen will not run as fast on iPad 3 as it would on iPad 2. And there's a similar issue with RAM unless it's 2GB (very very doubtful).

22. borgqueenx thread starter macrumors 65816

ah, i can see the logic in this. Sorry for confusing:)

23. Bensalama21 macrumors regular

People KNOW that it is 1GB of RAM... Maybe you just don't know the facts?

24. borgqueenx thread starter macrumors 65816

okay....tell me the direct teardown showing 1gb of ram, a test of software wich shows 1gb or a statement of apple saying it got 1gb or ram.