'The Truth Hurts': Verizon Zings AT&T in Advertising Spat

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Earlier this month, AT&T filed suit against rival Verizon over a series of Verizon commercials attacking AT&T's wireless network, claiming that the ads were "blatantly false and misleading".

Late yesterday, Engadget reported that Verizon had filed a 53-page legal response to the lawsuit, and taken the opportunity to focus the case on what it claims is AT&T's failure to commit the resources to build out its network appropriately. The tone of Verizon's response is set from the very first sentence of its response's introduction:
AT&T did not file this lawsuit because Verizon's "There’s A Map For That" advertisements are untrue; AT&T sued because Verizon's ads are true and the truth hurts.
Six pages later, Verizon concludes its introduction with a similar take:
In the final analysis, AT&T seeks emergency relief because Verizon's side-by-side, apples-to-apples comparison of its own 3G coverage with AT&T's confirms what the marketplace has been saying for months: AT&T failed to invest adequately in the necessary infrastructure to expand its 3G coverage to support its growth in smartphone business, and the usefulness of its service to smartphone users has suffered accordingly. AT&T may not like the message that the ads send, but this Court should reject its efforts to silence the messenger.
The remainder of the document consists of Verizon's argument that its commercials touting five times more 3G coverage than AT&T are truthful, a fact that AT&T has at its most basic level admitted. Verizon parries AT&T's complaint that blank areas on the AT&T coverage maps used in Verizon ads are misleading consumers into thinking that no coverage is available when in fact non-3G coverage is offered in those areas by noting that it has held itself to the same standard as AT&T, showing as blank on its own coverage map depictions any areas not covered by its 3G network.

Verizon also takes issue with the procedural details of AT&T's lawsuit, claiming that the company has neither shown that irreparable damage to AT&T from Verizon's ads is likely nor demonstrated why infringement of Verizon's First Amendment freedom of speech should be permitted. Finally, Verizon points to the "free flow of commercial information" as being crucial to consumers, noting that comparative advertising is a common and effective means of assisting customers with purchasing decisions while also driving pricing competition and innovation.

Article Link: 'The Truth Hurts': Verizon Zings AT&T in Advertising Spat

kiljoy616

macrumors 68000
Apr 17, 2008
USA
Let the battle begin

Oh no you did not say that, haha, Verizon spanking AT&T.

When is AT&T going to get rid of all their old fart executive and get new blood.
Maybe then they would actually be taken serious.:rolleyes:

ChadJK

macrumors newbie
Mar 20, 2008
Gretna, Nebraska USA
LMAO! Too funny and too true. AT&T sucks so bad. The fact that Apple fanboys are so obsessed with owning an iPhone that they will break contract with their existing carrier to sign on with the WORST carrier in the US is just really sad.

usclaneyj

macrumors regular
May 1, 2005
Looks to me like Verizon is absolutely right and AT&T is going to end up looking very foolish.

Cachiro

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2008
Money Back

Att I want my money back and some extra for all the trouble & headaches.

sanford

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2003
Dallas, USA
LMAO! Too funny and too true. AT&T sucks so bad. The fact that Apple fanboys are so obsessed with owning an iPhone that they will break contract with their existing carrier to sign on with the WORST carrier in the US is just really sad.
I get great coverage, 3G and voice everywhere I am most of the time. I get great voice and 9 of 10 times EDGE service out in the boondocks. I don't see what the deal is. I know AT&T has problems in some areas, but go w/ the carrier+phone combo that works best in the area you most use your phone.

Then again I don't spend much time in small towns or driving through them.

ditzy

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2007
As far as I can tell AT&T don't have a leg to stand on. To me it is very clear that the ad is about 3G coverage. Unless the maps are inaccurate, which AT&T don't seem to be claiming, they're just going to have to put up with it.
Or improve their service.

SwiftLives

macrumors 65816
Dec 7, 2001
Charleston, SC
I was told that Verizon's 3G network is just for data. AT&T's carries both data and voice. (I could be wrong).

Personally, I haven't had any trouble with AT&T. Dropped calls are rare (once a month if that often). 3G Data is speedy. Edge is horrible, but my area is covered by 3G.

But I think Verizon will win this PR war.

And I suspect Apple is secretly disgusted with AT&T and would love to open the iPhone up to rival carriers. They just have to be sure they can justify the cost of a new iPhone with different technology that would pretty much only work in the US on Verizon's network.

jlbrown23

macrumors member
Aug 18, 2007
Someone in AT&T legal should really get fired for this. As anyone who has used both services already knows, Verizon is clearly the better carrier. All that AT&T is doing with this lawsuit is giving the issue more press, all of which will point out what we already know. And on top of it they will look like whiny babies who spend more time suing other people for pointing out their service problems than they spend actually trying to fix them.

Goona

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2009
****kkk you Verizon, why can't your useless network use voice and data at the same time. Why don't you mention that in your wonderful ads.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
****kkk you Verizon, why can't your useless network use voice and data at the same time. Why don't you mention that in your wonderful ads.
Nothing stopping AT&T doing just that is there? :confused:

AT&T need to respond with facts like that as it is a plus point.

Gregintosh

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2008
Chicago
I hope Verizon wins and AT&T is forced to step up its game. I am tired of the dropped calls and the lack of reception all around the city (Chicago). I say this as both an iPhone user and someone who depends on AT&T for their paycheck.

Cachiro

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2008
Someone in AT&T legal should really get fired for this. As anyone who has used both services already knows, Verizon is clearly the better carrier. All that AT&T is doing with this lawsuit is giving the issue more press, all of which will point out what we already know. And on top of it they will look like whiny babies who spend more time suing other people for pointing out their service problems than they spend actually trying to fix them.
Well said. Nice Thanks!!

CQd44

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2009
Edinburg, Texas
I hope Verizon wins and AT&T is forced to step up its game. I am tired of the dropped calls and the lack of reception all around the city (Chicago). I say this as both an iPhone user and someone who depends on AT&T for their paycheck.
geeze, chicago and you still get dropped calls?

I've only had one dropped call with t mobile and it was out of the blue. I wasn't driving or in the boonies or anything either. I called back and continued my conversation.

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Jun 20, 2005
Why doesn't AT&T come up with a commercial to combat Verizon's?

Why doesn't AT&T's commercial show a map of their total coverage compared to Verizon's total coverage? I bet AT&T has better coverage than Verizon.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
Why doesn't AT&T come up with a commercial to combat Verizon's?

Why doesn't AT&T's commercial show a map of their total coverage compared to Verizon's total coverage? I bet AT&T has better coverage than Verizon.
It's probably hard for them to do so. Comparing their EDGE network versus Verzion's 3G would most likely also be torn apart by some press.

AT&T seem to be getting a lot of bad press over this whole thing.

sanford

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2003
Dallas, USA
geeze, chicago and you still get dropped calls?

I've only had one dropped call with t mobile and it was out of the blue. I wasn't driving or in the boonies or anything either. I called back and continued my conversation.
We have great AT&T coverage in Texas. That's why. My best friend in LA, she has problems w/ voice in some areas, others not at all.

I've use Sprint, T-Mobile, Verizon and AT&T and have friends who use all of them. Universally, Sprint is terrible. Everyone else reports equal problems with the other 3 at various times. It's just an ad war. AT&T has less coverage penetration, especially in rural areas, but they have the phone everyone wants. Verizon has decent phones but not THE hot phone, but better coverage penetration. So they're going to scuffle. AT&T's complaint was that the Verizon map seemed to indicate that the areas represented by white, AT&T had no data coverage. But they have decent EDGE in those areas. They have a point. Had Verizon used some other color and noted it was EDGE-only for AT&T's weak spots then this wouldn't have come up, but then it wouldn't be a proper ad, would it? They're not going to tell you the clear, credible truth, not either company.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.