The U.K. iPhone 4 Thread

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by CD3660, May 29, 2010.

1. CD3660 macrumors 68040

CD3660

O.K. We've got the iPad launch successfully out of the way and thousands of us are very happily enjoying the stunning multi-functional gadget that it is but it is time now, for those of us who enjoy the thrill of the chase, to focus on the imminent launch of the new iPhone.

Due to be announced in just over a week at WWDC, I wonder whether it will be available to buy within days of that announcement. I suspect that Apple will be bending over backwards to make it available to purchase as early as possible in view of the unfortunate leaks which must have had an impact on sales of the 3GS.

Personally I can't wait as this seems to be a significant upgrade with brand new hardware (which looks pretty good) and multi-tasking promised.

Bring it on! :)

2. sparkie1984 macrumors 68000

I'm praying for a payg release straight away, or I can't get one.....

3. CD3660 thread starter macrumors 68040

CD3660

I'm sure there will be one. Since the 3GS I have always bought the PAYG version (which is exactly the same hardware as a contract phone) and used my contract sim in it.

Seems to be the way forward.

4. Appleboyjohnny macrumors newbie

Me too! Pay and Go release straight away please! :)

5. Pez555 macrumors 68000

Pez555

+1 here.

i have a 3G and a 3GS, i told myself i wouldnt be getting the 4G but that has gone to pot.

pay as you go for me :) (the highest model!)

6. angevil macrumors regular

I hope we in Europe get it at the same time. International launch is the way to go.

7. kuruption macrumors member

i definitely want it to be on pay as you go straight away, if you pay that and then pay for a simplicity contract, the total cost over 18months or 24months is less than signing a contract for it and you can easily switch carriers if you want.

8. CD3660 thread starter macrumors 68040

CD3660

That's my approach too. It's cheaper and gives you total flexibility.

9. MacScoob macrumors member

yea im getting PAYG and putting my simplicity sim into it, cheapest option.

does anyone know if the 12months free internet with a new PAYG iphone from O2 will work with a simplicity contract or will i have to upgrade my simplicity package to one which includes the unlimited internet?

10. sparkie1984 macrumors 68000

They'll be fools to not release it on payg IMO!!

I hope we get it soon ish too

11. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

I don't think it will be days after could be week or two after wwdc and I think for the first couple weeks of release they only do contract iPhones and not payg but u never know till the day

12. CD3660 thread starter macrumors 68040

CD3660

I can't see why you shouldn't be able to continue with your existing iPhone Simplicity contract (and sell the Sim that comes with the phone and includes free internet, on eBay), but I think you'll need a replacement Sim card as I believe the new iPhone uses a MicroSim like the iPad.

13. act1980 macrumors regular

act1980

I wanna trade in my 3GS when the 4G is released. Thing is, they are saying the new iPhone is gonna have a micro sim so how am I gonna put my current sim in the new phone? Do you think 02 would provide one? I am on a contract.

Thanks!:)

14. CD3660 thread starter macrumors 68040

CD3660

Although the PAYG version of the 3G only came out a few months after launch, the situation was different with the 3GS where the PAYG was available from day 1.

I believe it will be the same this time around otherwise sales will be limited due to the number of people tied into contracts with O2, Orange, Vodafone and Tesco.

Although it is possible to cut down a normal Sim to MicroSim size (as I have done with the iPad that I'm using to post this) I' m sure O2 will let you have a replacement Sim which is the correct size.

15. CptAwesome macrumors member

+1, same situation mate

16. mofei1 macrumors regular

i'm hoping vodafone will have it on pay as u go on release day otherwise i cant get one :mad:

17. sparkie1984 macrumors 68000

I'm not sure why voda don't offer the iPhone on pay as you go currently???

But unless anything changes their end then i wouldn't expect to see the new one on payg either!!!

18. mofei1 macrumors regular

yeh, thats the thing. Not looking good. Still have 12 months remaining on my current vodafone contract :(

19. tungstentim macrumors regular

tungstentim

I really hope that we get it in June, my iPhone 3g feels so slow these days. Lets hope and pray that they do move the launch forward because of the leaks.

I need a new toy!
    32Gb version for me this time.
    :eek:

20. Boblister macrumors 6502a

I will not have another contract. I said that when the 3GS came out and O2 screwed us over. So it's PAYG or nothing. My 12 months free internet from when I bought the 3GS on PAYG is due to end soon. As O2 is total rubbish around here I will probably put Three in it on PAYG. No worries in cutting a SIM down to size.

21. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

ah right good news for payg peeps I may not have enough for payg so I have to go into a monthly contract, with orange but if they wont let me keeo my non-iphone tariff I may have to switch to O2 for their 18 month unlim txt deal

22. CD3660 thread starter macrumors 68040

CD3660

Oh yes you can! Buy a PAYG one on O2 and pay £15 to have it officially unlocked (assuming that they will do the same for the 4G as the 3GS). See here:

http://shop.o2.co.uk/update/unlockmyiphone.html

Nor me, but you could get an unlocked one by taking the route I've explained above.

23. sheppy1 macrumors 6502a

sheppy1

I'm hoping for it to be released soon after it's announcement on contract as I will be cancelling my current contract and starting up a new one with whichever provider has the best deal at the time

24. Flumps macrumors regular

Flumps

I have never ever owned an Iphone before so this will be my first apple phone purchase when my upgrade is due (July 29th) with Orange. I'm really excited as iv used a friends 3GS and found it a fun and easy phone to use and i just hope that the 4G Iphone managers to keep that as well as bring in some new features and just hope they will still have some in when it gets to the end of July :p

25. mofei1 macrumors regular

Just have to wait and see what happens. Not long now :)