the way stacks were supposed to be

Discussion in 'macOS' started by drugs!, Dec 4, 2007.

1. drugs! macrumors regular

2. psonice macrumors 6502a

I'm struggling to see anything different.. what changed?

3. lofight macrumors 68000

lofight

???? not alot of different things, only on the left, renaming..

4. drugs! thread starter macrumors regular

you know, making it completely customizable, not forcing you to make new folders with alias's if you just want a few thing in one stack.

he made an office stack, an adobe stack,

This can clean up your dock while still allowing you to access all your programs with 2 clicks, instead of looking through the finder.

5. Neo110503 macrumors regular

They changed the function where you could grab random objects and make a stack out of them.

6. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

:confused::confused:

For a start it is not confined to the right of the dock, you can put any applications (and files/folder combo) together without having to have the whole folder as the stack, you can rename the stack once created.

If stacks were like that then it would be a very cool and very useful feature, as it is in is a nothing feature.

7. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

There's nothing different. You can make a Stack from any grab of applications together. The only thing different is it's positioned anywhere on the dock and I don't like that. It's easier to know where my stack reside and that would be over on the left side of the dock.

8. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Can you, because I can't.

9. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

I would love to use that group apps on the left side feature and rename them. Office Stack, Adobe Stack, Video Utilities Stack, really clean up my dock.

10. kresh macrumors 6502a

kresh

Me neither. I grab four random apps and drag them to the dock and it adds four individual app icons.

11. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

You have to create a folder for the apps to reside in then you can choose what apps you want and then drag it to the dock. The video does show individual apps but that's a hack. It's no big deal to create a folder. Not against you but if creating a folder is too much trouble for someone then they shouldn't be using a computer.

12. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Thus it is not the same.

IIRC the old stacks used to be able to do this with any bunch of files/folders/applications even from different directories.

13. drugs! thread starter macrumors regular

you dont get it. To make a new folder and move all the apps around defeats the purpose of having a dock that can be modified with selecting and dragging objects into it. What can be seamless now has a dumb workaround which also screws up your file format.

14. drugs! thread starter macrumors regular

and please, dude, layoff the "and if you can't maybe you shouldn't be using a computer" bulls hit

15. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

In other words, what Apple keeps calling a "Stack" is nothing more than a fancy new folder view setting that only appears when you put the folder in a certain place in the dock.

16. kresh macrumors 6502a

kresh

Like others have already said, this is not the same. I do use folders as stacks, there are almost as many folder stacks on the right side of my dock as I have app icons on the left side.

It's fugly, awkward, and definitely un-Apple like as I have come to expect.

17. drugs! thread starter macrumors regular

someone post this video in the main mac rumors page

How would one aggressively reach out to apple to hopefully patch stacks in a future update?

18. REBELinBLUE macrumors regular

There is another video somewhere (can't find it anywhere in my digg history, I'm sure it was on there) thats shows you being able to browse down into folders also in the developer builds.

It is such a shame that they changed all of this, as it is now they are fairly useless to me, the only stack I have is the download stack. :(

19. Quillz macrumors 65816

Quillz

Couldn't agree more with everything that's been posted. That video, likely from build 9A466, showed how Stacks was very useful. It maintained the nested folder browsing, and yet you could also put Stacks anywhere, and make them out of any application, document, folder, etc. Right now on my Dock, I have all the iWork applications. I could have made a much more compact Dock if I could make an "iWork" stack, for example.

20. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

While I totally understand that if you use a lot of stacks it would be more beneficial to have them reside anywhere on the dock (I only use 3 stacks) some of you guys expect too much from Apple as if the company is some high and mighty kingdom and owns their own state on the map.
    Apple is just a company like Microsoft. Do you hold Microsoft to such standards? My guess is no, and Windows is not very feature rich but people still use it without complaint and Microsoft could still buy Apple out.

21. drugs! thread starter macrumors regular

what are you talking about? Microsoft??? What?

We are talking apple OS, and yes i hold apple and their products to high standards.

i dont know what you are getting at with the last sentence.

22. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

When Microsoft announces that their next operating system will have features X, Y, and Z, and releases videos and papers discussing how great these features will be, and then later cancels or postpones those features, then yes, people get upset.

23. Brendon Bauer macrumors 6502

I think most of you are overlooking the clean and simple look that Apple likes to achieve. How would you know whether an application was open inside of an application stack? Would you have to click on all your stacks to find what's running? Or would there be multiple "bubbles" underneath the stack? It might have something to do with the fact that they had no simple way to show what was running. There's probably a way, but I'm just not sure how they'd do it. Just a thought...

24. drugs! thread starter macrumors regular

good point, but then why have stacks at all. You make an app stack, chances are you have too many that will fit in the grid and are going to have to open up in finder anyway.

25. stevep macrumors 6502a

stevep

Given up on Stacks - after using the click and hold Tiger way of finding what I want I got increasingly frustrated with this backward step and have resorted to using Hierarchy (http://charlesorourke.com/hierarchy/ ).
    Not quite back to how it was but until Apple come to their senses on this one it will do very nicely.