The Weeknd, Drake and Disclosure Among Most Played Artists on Beats 1

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Aug 12, 2015.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Quartz yesterday published an article which analyzed data from Apple Music's Beats 1 radio station, in an attempt to get a feel for the station's most played songs and artists throughout the month of July. The company took data collected from 12,445 songs specifically from "early July to early August," and discovered that artists The Weeknd, Drake, and Disclosure were the top three most-played musicians for the month.

[​IMG]

The Weeknd was also on top of the most played song chart, with the song "Can't Feel My Face" -- which he performed live at WWDC in June -- played a total of 107 times in July. Artists including Rachel Platten, Beck, and Selena Gomez, amongst others, round out the rest of the list thanks to the popularity of their current chart-topping songs "Fight Song," "Dreams," and "Good for You," respectively.
    Quartz also found the top genre on Beats 1 to be hip-hop (1,726 plays), with alternative (1,506 plays) and electronic (802 plays) rounding out the top three spots. Still, "a quarter of the songs in the dataset" that Quartz measured were only played one time, so Beats 1 is still managing to present a few diverse tracks into the mix every once in a while.

[​IMG]

The response to Apple Music has been mixed, with the service's detractors pointing to the initial speed bumps syncing with iTunes and an over-reliance on specific musical genres in Beats 1, the latter of which Quartz has now detailed. The rest of Quartz's report on Beats 1 is definitely worth checking out, with charts analyzing the volume of songs played on weekdays versus the weekend and even one highlighting songs played most frequently in pairs.

Article Link: The Weeknd, Drake and Disclosure Among Most Played Artists on Beats 1

2. DarkWinter macrumors member

Surprised that Pharrell isn't on that list! :p

I have to admit that I was very impressed for the first couple of days when Beats 1 launched, but soon found that more or less the same songs and artists were repeated over and over after that.

3. Daalseth macrumors 6502a

Interesting that Classical isn't on the Apple Music genre list anywhere.
    Looking down the list I guess I'll not be signing up any time soon.

4. TheAppleFairy macrumors 68020

TheAppleFairy

On the entire list the only two "artist" I have ever heard of are Beck and Selena Gomez. Out of those two the only song I know is "Where it's at".

5. brendu macrumors 68020

I stopped listening to Beats 1 because I'm not into hip hop and that's all they ever play when I've tuned in. I prefer 'for you' because I'm always finding new things I really like.

6. SpasticPat macrumors 6502

SpasticPat

I agree, on the 'For You' page they've found me tons of playlists to listen to based off what I like, it works perfectly or me.

7. teslo macrumors 6502a

teslo

i only know a couple more, but major lazer's video where they jump around humping everything/everyone was a pretty huge viral video a few years ago. worth watching at least once with your jaw on the floor, wondering where music culture is headed in the next decade or so.

8. From A Buick 8 macrumors 68040

From A Buick 8

There is classical music in AM, it is just not played on Beats 1. AM is more than just Beats 1.

9. TheAppleFairy macrumors 68020

TheAppleFairy

I am more into Rock, Country, 80's, 90's, 90's grunge, Southern Rock, Metal, alternative, indie rock, indie pop, even rap pre-90's.

Pretty much anything that isn't the current urban music.

10. Robert.Walter macrumors 65816

I'm in about the same boat... I recognize your two and raise you two more (known only because Apple promoted them.). Of these 4, I only know one song from Beck, Devil's Haircut, and I like it.

Otherwise, these results make me feel like an old fart.

11. 69Mustang macrumors 604

69Mustang

So... basically, a radio station plays top songs and genres the most. Color me shocked.:rolleyes:

12. Robert.Walter macrumors 65816

I think that branch of music has more in common with bizarre performance "art" than with normal music. Same for Miley, although I am amenable to her free the nipple esque campaign, I can't help but feel that it is a gimmicky crutch for unsustainably limited talent.

13. From A Buick 8 macrumors 68040

From A Buick 8

My post was more for Daalseth (She or He) had asked about classical music. However to your post I have found a wealth of the music you like on AM, just not Beats1. But to be fair Beats 1 is not designed for folks like me or (and it sounds like) folks like you also.

14. keysofanxiety macrumors G3

keysofanxiety

"We want to make a radio station just for music, not one specific genre like other stations"

Bunch of deluded airheads.

15. CEmajr macrumors 601

Well to be fair you'll be hard pressed to find a regular radio station that plays Hip-Hop, Alternative, and Electronic music all on the same station.

16. Baumi, Aug 12, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2015

Baumi macrumors regular

It does seem to have a U.S. (or maybe English-language-countries?) bias, though. I'm from Germany: Many of the American Hip-Hop acts aren't all that well-known over here, and R&B and Soul aren't nearly as successful as they are in the states.

I've also never heard of any of the artists listed in this analysis, but I'm not sure whether that's due to regional taste differences or whether I'm just an old fart who doesn't keep up with popular music anymore.

(EDIT: Typos)

17. Mums Suspended

Mums

The pop music format of formulaic 3-5 minute songs is so tired. I listen to ambient drone on SomaFM. There are almost no good pop songs or artists out there any more. Tame Impala is very good, and of course Beck. But almost all of it sounds computerized, ghettoized, fragmented, ugly, cheap and bad.

18. QCassidy352 macrumors G4

QCassidy352

Count me as another who has never heard of many of the musicians in this top 10 or 20. Guess I'm old.

19. Sethp macrumors member

One thing that really made me disappointed is that shows are repeated. If Zane is on in the morning in the U.S. he's on in the evening in Europe. If Ebro is on mid day in the U.S. He's on at night in Europe so I don't have to listen ;)

20. keysofanxiety macrumors G3

keysofanxiety

21. Traverse macrumors 604

Traverse

On one hand I'm surprised, but then unsurprised. I guess Beats 1 will just play whats popular and Apple's been pushing rap in Hip Hop in almost every aspect of Apple Music's advertising that I've seen.

Still, I kind of thought their live station would be more evenly distributed. Meh, I never signed up, but the "For You" section looks like it will be much better for most people.

22. navaira macrumors 68040

navaira

Maybe a part of Beats takeover was that Apple have to "keep it real" and be "down with tha kidz"?

I have a displeasure of knowing most of the "artists" on this list, and by the looks of it, I haven't lost anything by ignoring Beats 1. If I want to listen to Currents or "Lean On", I've got them here at hand. The rest, Apple should pay me 9.90 a month to listen to, and I'd argue that's not enough.

23. dmylrea macrumors 68030

dmylrea

Likewise. I guess we know who Apple Music's demographic is. There are plenty of services that have "stations for me", so who needs Apple Music? I'm happy with Google Play Music.

24. bushido Suspended

bushido

i thought the genre depends on the country they stream from. like US had a lot of hip hop while the UK got more electro pop and hipster music

25. iKrivetko macrumors 6502a