The Weeknd Stars in Two-Part Apple Music Ad During MTV VMAs

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple debuted a new two-part Apple Music ad featuring The Weeknd during the 2015 MTV VMAs on Sunday night. The one-minute spots show The Weeknd walking backstage after performing at the VMAs, getting into a limo driven by actor John Travolta and listening to Beats 1 Radio while scrolling through his artist page on Apple Music Connect.

The Weeknd then arrives at an VMAs afterparty with his single "The Hills" playing and shuffles through additional songs from an Apple Music playlist, followed by the tagline "It's all in your head. Create your own party. Unlimited music for $9.99."

The Weeknd was one of the most played artists on Beats 1 since the radio station went live on June 30, alongside Drake, Disclosure, Fetty Wap, Jamie xx, A$AP Rocky, Years & Years, Kendrick Lamar, Tame Impala and Major Lazer.

Apple launched a worldwide advertising campaign for its new streaming music service earlier this month, with billboards, posters and other signage appearing in cities including Los Angeles, New York, San Francisco, Tokyo, Toronto and Mexico City. Later in August, Apple released three artist-focused Apple Music ads starring James Bay and Kygo.

Article Link: The Weeknd Stars in Two-Part Apple Music Ad During MTV VMAs

Reactions: nortofthe13th

Daalseth

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2012
Nice ads. Clever and well done. They don't really speak to me though. They haven't made the case, for me anyway, as to why it's better than the free options. Still gonna pass on the $9.99/mo.

AngerDanger

macrumors 601
Dec 9, 2008
I wish Apple had the nerve to leave the ending ambiguous. I'd grown so attached to the protagonist in part one that when part two came around, I felt let down by the it's-all-a-dream trope. The story arcs involving the John Travolta driver and the many interchangeable female characters would've been better served had the viewer been left guessing. Chris Nolan did it, Apple, and you could too.

Last edited:

peterh988

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2011
It amazes me how many people have commented anytime a young musician gets posted on macrumors, that it's not "their kind of music" or "I'm not the target audience". We care so much about your preferences.
You'd think they'd spread the coverage of different genres in their ads though, to try and sell it to everyone.

My first thought on this was "Oh look, more hip hop"

Chances are most genres would fit in the "not my kind of music" category for me, but I'd at least appreciate they were spreading the coverage out.

(I appreciate this ad was specific to the event being referenced, which mitigates it somewhat)

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
:apple: Making the VMAs interesting once again.
Totally missed the VMAs this year. Not sure that is a bad thing considering Miley was hosting. Saw some pictures and this girl (actually younger than my daughter) naked out there (actually naked). Yeah not my thing at all.

As for the ads, I like them. They do a good job of conveying why the Music may be right for some people. I am never gonna be one of them, but I think this is good marketing.

SDAVE

macrumors 68040
Jun 16, 2007
Nowhere
It amazes me how many people have commented anytime a young musician gets posted on macrumors, that it's not "their kind of music" or "I'm not the target audience". We care so much about your preferences.
The Weeknd was great when he was making mixtapes and releasing them for free.

Reactions: AleXXXa

Nevaborn

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2013
That is the single worts ad I have seen from Apple. This guys just looks like he has had far too many drugs starting stoned in the limo then totally off his head sat on a sofa. Apple needs to really up their game as if I did not know that was an iPhone or what Beats1 was I would of been very confused. Would of been better to revolve the Ad around John Travolta.

ck2875

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2009
Brighton
Apple debuted a new two-part Apple Music ad featuring The Weeknd during the 2015 MTV VMAs on Sunday night.

The one-minute spots show The Weeknd walking backstage after performing at the MVAs, getting into a limo driven by actor John Travolta and listening to Beats 1 Radio while scrolling through his artist page on Apple Music Connect.

The Weeknd then arrives at an MVAs afterparty with his single "The Hills" playing and shuffles through additional songs from an Apple Music playlist, followed by the tagline "It's all in your head.
Well if nothing else, MacRumors convinced me to watch the ad to see whether Apple's ad featured a knock-off MVA, or whether the blog author's attention-to-detail could only span one sentence.

NorEaster

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2012
So I guess no one here (including yourself) should ever post an opinion or preference? You criticize those who replied to your post as "elementary" but perhaps telling folks you don't care about their preferences is childish as well. My friends and I used to do that all of the time in junior high... expressing ennui at other people's thoughts is a hallmark of immaturity.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.