Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

1957GoldTop

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2012
I'm always amazed at the cheap ass people who complain about paying money for what is basically all the music in the world you could want for less than $10 a month. Suck it up. If you listen you should pay and $10 a month is a ridiculously low price for what you get. Whether you're using Apple Music or another service doesn't matter. Don't be a leach; pay the subscription fee.

Although, I watched the VMAs for the first time in decades last night and I can see why nobody would want to pay for music anymore.

Nice ads. Clever and well done. They don't really speak to me though. They haven't made the case, for me anyway, as to why it's better than the free options. Still gonna pass on the $9.99/mo.

MyMacintosh

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2012
I miss the days when Apple promoted indie artists in their ads, instead of pushing more of the same old mainstream garbage.

Now that's genius advertising. What happened? :( I discovered a few awesome artists precisely through Apple ads. They really knew what they were doing back then.
Ironically, The Weeknd isn't mainstream. Well until recently.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
You didn't miss a thing. The show was so horrible. Miley Cyrus, plus Bieber, plus Nikki Minaj, plus Kanye, plus fights on stage. Terrible show.
The ad was funny. Given how unfocused the dude's eyes looked I would expect him to hallucinate nothing less than John Travolta and one huge party. Really, Betty White should have been in there somewhere and that would have made the whole thing complete for me.

Miley, Biebs, Nikki and Kanye were all together in one building and nobody thought to seal the doors and windows shut? Dang!

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
I miss the days when Apple promoted indie artists in their ads, instead of pushing more of the same old mainstream garbage.

Now that's genius advertising. What happened? :( I discovered a few awesome artists precisely through Apple ads. They really knew what they were doing back then.

To be fair, that was the music scene back then, and this ad depicts the music scene right now.

Reactions: MyMacintosh

winston1236

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010
I'm always amazed at the cheap ass people who complain about paying money for what is basically all the music in the world you could want for less than $10 a month. Suck it up. If you listen you should pay and $10 a month is a ridiculously low price for what you get. Whether you're using Apple Music or another service doesn't matter. Don't be a leach; pay the subscription fee.

Although, I watched the VMAs for the first time in decades last night and I can see why nobody would want to pay for music anymore.

Well, not pay for top 40 music for sure. I'll buy the work of real artist.

Trozetar

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2011
Reading, Pa
This seemed well put together and correctly aimed at the audience that would watch a VMA show. I also already liked The Weekend, so the music choice didn't bother me....

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Euhm, "Music"? ORLY? :D

Oh come on... It's not THAT bad. I have to listen to the radio in the car almost everyday, and saying this ISN'T "music" is disregarding everything else that's in the charts right now.

I don't really care for The Weeknd, but he stands out among the actual truly garbage music that's played back to back next to his stuff.

Like I said in an earlier post, this is the music scene now, and the kind of music that was used in iPod + iTunes ads is long gone.

noveneerhere

macrumors member
Apr 8, 2014
Very few people understand what marketing and advertising does. Commercials are not designed to make you think, hey I need to go out and purchase this right now. I need this in my life. I can't live without it. It rarely has that affect on most people. Advertising is designed to create brand awareness. So when you are shopping for that specific product, you recognize XYZ brand over generic ABC brand with no advertising because the advertising of XYZ product is ubiquitous and omnipresent.
Marketing doesn't necessarily have to be that way, and most of Apples ads are usually about informing about new services/products... their brand is naturally incorporated in that but not the priority.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
Ironically, The Weeknd isn't mainstream. Well until recently.

The radio stations locally started overplaying their "earned it" song until I got so fed up I'd instantly turn it off whenever I heard that horrible first few seconds.

So maybe I'm a bit biased against them. The song wasn't even that good. Maybe I'm getting old? I dunno, I like a lot of other new music. This song just grated on me somehow.

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
:apple: Making the VMAs interesting once again.

Were they ever interesting? The last one I remember watching was some time in the 90's. I think the only thing I remember about it was Jenny Mccarthy alluding to having sex with Damon Wayans. Or maybe someone else.... Anyway, it was a while ago.

Last edited:

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Lol at this thread. I own a Victrola packed full of really old records bought at flea markets and estate sales. My husband also recently fixed up his mom's gigantic console stereo that spans a good chunk of the living room and he also has a lot of her old records. Among the gems and Great American standards are so many old songs from the 1930's, 40's and 50's with ridiculous lyrics sung in annoying affected voices and a lot of them are bigoted or sexist in some way. A few are surprisingly risqué. A lot just plain don't make sense as they are about nonsense subjects.

My dad says his parents were complaining about the music and dances and behavior of his generation, too. My dad is 78.

It all makes me realize that the more things change, the more they stay the same.

Reactions: Daalseth

JeffyTheQuik

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2014
Charleston, SC and Everett, WA
Were they ever interesting? The last one I remember watching was some time in the 90's. I think the only thing I remember about it was Jenny Mccarthy alluding to having sex with Damon Wayans. Or maybe someone else.... Anyway, it was a while ago.

I stopped watching MTV when they stopped being a Music Television channel. I think that was in the late 80's.

Reactions: 5105973

JeffyTheQuik

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2014
The ad was funny. Given how unfocused the dude's eyes looked I would expect him to hallucinate nothing less than John Travolta and one huge party. Really, Betty White should have been in there somewhere and that would have made the whole thing complete for me.

Miley, Biebs, Nikki and Kanye were all together in one building and nobody thought to seal the doors and windows shut? Dang!
It also needed a goat and a clown on a ferris wheel.

EightyTwenty

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2015
It's hilarious how they use white women to sell products to black men. Nothing draws their attention like white chicks.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
....awkward silence....methinks that post isn't going to stick around EightyTwenty. Thanks for sucking all the fun out of the room.

JeffyTheQuik

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2014
....awkward silence....methinks that post isn't going to stick around EightyTwenty. Thanks for sucking all the fun out of the room.
What did it for me was the burning car. Especially an overturned car on fire.

I have never seen anything good on TV that had an overturned burning car in it. In fiction, it's always something post-apocalyptic, or a scene where there is chaos, and with non-fiction, it's usually a contrived riot with people tweeting out that their life stinks on their iPhone 6+ (no irony there). Or worse, their sports team wins some game, and that's an excuse to destroy property.

MyMacintosh

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2012
The radio stations locally started overplaying their "earned it" song until I got so fed up I'd instantly turn it off whenever I heard that horrible first few seconds.

So maybe I'm a bit biased against them. The song wasn't even that good. Maybe I'm getting old? I dunno, I like a lot of other new music. This song just grated on me somehow.

haha yeah earned it is way too mainstream for me. I love more of his earlier stuff like Trilogy and some of Kissland. The radio is notorious for playing terrible music though so i'm not surprised.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.