The "What I've Dropped" Thread.

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by JosephDuffy, Aug 31, 2009.

1. JosephDuffy macrumors regular

Disclaimer:
    *May be too intense for those heartbroken by the partial destruction of :apple: products*

Hey guys,
    Thought I'd start a nice little "Off Topic" type thread, "What I've Dropped".
    Post what products you've dropped, what happened, where/what onto, and any other side-note type things. Apple products preferred, but not necessary!
    Any format that is readable is OK.
    I'll start us off:

MacBook Pro
    Thin Carpet, in effect a wooden floor
    CD got jammed in CD Drive

iPhone 3G 16GB
    Table corner, then a chair, then a stone floor.
    Opened the Stocks App

Apple Wireless Mighty Mouse
    Wooden Floor
    Bottom came off, still turns on, but haven't fully tested :S

2. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

iPhone 3Gs. Out of my lap in the car. My hands were full and I wasnt thinking.
    A few dings. I really couldnt care less. I laughed it off. It now has battle scars. :)

Also, the ball a few times at work. :p

3. Krafty macrumors 601

Krafty

My iPhone 2G after an epic fail play fight with my friend at a gas station while pumping which resulted in me tripping over the gas line and my iPhone skidding across.

Luckily I sold it and my iPod Touch and got another one.

4. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

Have we learned nothing?

[​IMG]

5. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

I've dropped a 1st gen iPod touch. It was in my shirt pocket, I bent down and it plopped onto the concrete floor. Scratched the bezel, but otherwise it was fine.

I've also done that with a Handspring Visor (older Palm-style PDA) which was also in the shirt pocket... you'd think I'd learn not to put electronics in there.

I've dropped a Canon digital camera and a Sharp minidisc player down a carpeted stairway. Both of them bounced all the way down, but neither suffered any damage since they were in their padded cases. Whew!

Actually, my worst "drop" experience was a Corningware type container borrowed from my parents. It shattered into a gazillion pieces. I felt so bad, I planned to buy an exact replacement in hopes that my parents wouldn't notice. Do you know how hard it is to shop for something when you know exactly what you need, you're sure you've seen it before in the stores, but then when you actually try to buy one, they're nowhere to be found? I finally did find the exact container I was looking for, and I bought two... just in case. :rolleyes:

6. Krafty macrumors 601

Krafty

It was over a year ago. Or maybe my damn sarcasm detector is dead again.

7. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Today, I saw an iPhone 3GS that had been dropped from the 6th floor of an apartment building. Not surprisingly was that it was no longer working. Surprisingly, it didn't look all that bad. Shattered screen, but the rest of it was in pretty good shape.

8. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

iPod Classic, I was running and it fell out of my pocket. it bounced a few times on he concrete, picked it up. Worked fine, had little scratches on the corner. I had BSE on it.

I've probably dropped every iPod I've owned atleast once on a wooden floor. I've had 4 ipods.

9. leomac08 macrumors 68020

leomac08

i dropped my ipod touch in the cement!

and my blackberry curve (some 3 feet or so)

luckily all had protection cases! :D

10. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

A 10lb bag of flour.... tripped on the cat and the bag went flying against the wall and burst open. :(

the best though was when I was a little kid, I was swinging a bag of cocoa powder in circles (because... i dunno, it was fun?) and my mom said "WHAT ARE YOU DOING?!", which freaked me out so I let go and threw the bag into the ceiling fan, which made it open... yeah I was in trouble. Not really dropping, but seems appropriate :)

11. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

Oh, and my brother once dropped a 1st-gen iPod nano somewhere on Yonge street in Toronto. He blames me for it because we were crossing the street and instead of walking to an intersection like normal people, I saw an opening in traffic and said "Let's go! NOW!" and booted it across. In the rush, it fell out of his pocket.

It was run over by a car, and crushed. Ironically, it was the case that caused its demise. Had it been "naked" and flat on the road, it might have survived. But it landed on its belt clip, which acted as a fulcrum against the wheel that ran it over, and everything got bent around it.

12. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

My pants.

sry. Okay seriously:

My cellphone (Moto RAZR... very uncool now the hinge is a bit loose)

iPod (from a height of only a few inches, and only once, but still)

Sony DiscMan (when it was fashionable. Then again it acted up so often I slapped the hell out of it numerous times deliberately anyway)

...aaaand both pairs of glasses and my expensive Serengeti sunglasses

Generally I'm, very very careful but some things just slip. :(

13. bartelby macrumors Core

Many years ago I dropped a Wal MkIII bass whilst I was trying it as the Bass Centre in London.

14. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

I'm very clumsy...you name it I've dropped it.

First rule I have for myself: Never walk with something in my hand...its gonna drop.

Bless

15. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

I've honestly not dropped any Apple products, although I had a very close encounter once with my iPhone. It almost careened into tile, but I managed to catch it (On a side thought, I didn't know that my hands could move that fast...) before it hit the ground.

Before I got my iPhone I had a Siemens phone, that thing was dropped many times, not all accidental... I've also dropped a CRT before, but that was more for entertainment than lack catching.

16. dmmcintyre3 macrumors 68020

A glass cup on hardwood floor (but it did not break)
    Lots of lce
    Forks, spoons, knifes off of plates
    old batteries
    flashlights (in the dark and could not find it as it cut off)
    Plates with food on top which always land food side down:mad:
    water
    cloths

Mainly stuff that just makes a mess instead of breaking

17. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Have you tried using the plate upside down?

18. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

Just dropped my 3GS a week ago. Shattered the screen. $214 fixes everything, though. *sigh*

19. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

Or strapping your plate to a kitty?

20. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

Yeah, as long as you're not eating cat*, that should work.

(* those of you with smutty minds, shame on you.. :) )

21. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

I've dropped my 1st gen iPod touch on the sidewalk in front of Cloud Gate at Millennium Park in Chicago and on the tile floor in my kitchen. It luckily survived both accounts. I've also dropped my LG Rumor numerous times.

22. .JahJahwarrior. macrumors 6502

I've taken thousands of pictures with my SLR, in wet environments, windy, dusty places, holding it over the edges of boats without a strap, outside of moving car windows, you name it, I've done it. I have dropped it once, shooting a soccer game. Worked fine. Another time, a bag of lenses rolled down a hill at night while shooting pictures of fireworks. It was unzipped, and all of the lenses stayed inside the bag, amazingly.

And then three weeks ago, my little Canon PnS camera falls 3' out of a bag with an unzipped pocket, and it won't turn back on. :(

23. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

My iPod Touch
    On to concrete from a height of 10 feet
    And then I landed on it ><

Still works fine.

24. dmmcintyre3 macrumors 68020

That's what I usually do if I drop it, Clawball loves some dropped hamburger or pork

25. mperkins37 macrumors 6502a

mperkins37

Had an Xacto knife roll off a drafting table & go straight into my big toe in Art school. Bled like hell.:(