The, "What Mac Pro config do you have and What do you use it for?"

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by jjahshik32, Mar 26, 2008.

1. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

I made a thread just for the mac pro and just curious what configurations you guys have and what do you guys use it mainly for? :D

2. wuster macrumors newbie

My specs: Early 2008 Quad Core 2.8Ghz, 6GB RAM, HD - 320GB + 2 x 750GB RAID 1.

As a developer I use it to run virtual appliances in VMware Fusion to do software development.

As a hobbyist I use Handbrake, Aperture, and a host of misc programs to make the Mac Pro a media storage and streaming server to my XBox 360.

3. eyecool macrumors regular

2.8 Octo, 8800GT, 10GB ram, 1.5TB (2 drives).

I use it as my primary business and personal computer. I started ditching windows for os x on a mac book last year. I completely pulled the plug on windows when the 2008 Mac Pro came out.

I pretty much use it for everything I did on my old Dell XPS 3Ghz and then some. I feel like an fanboy sometimes.

Just had baby #2 so I dusted off the old Panasonic 3CCD cam corder. It is so unbelievably easy, stable and fun to work with video. It was never this stable, easy or fun in winbloze. Now I feel like a video fanboy sometimes too.

My wife's birthday was yesterday. I ordered all sorts of video stuff, justified it by saying it was for her birthday and have been like a kid in a candy store all day.

Ok.. bottom line: I use it so I can do everything I needed to do today and anything I'll want to do tomorrow.

A+ <3 MP

4. kittiyut macrumors regular

kittiyut

I use mine mainly for browsing the web and email :rolleyes:

5. jjahshik32 thread starter macrumors 603

LOL, I do got to admit the mac pro is the best webbrowsing/email monster around! :D

6. fs454 macrumors 65816

2.8ghz octo, 6GB RAM (2x2GB OWC+2GB apple), ATI 2600XT, Raptor X 150GB(OSX+pro apps)+Stock 320GB(music/bootcamp)+500GB Spinpoint(footage/projects)

I use it for heavy Final Cut Studio 2 stuff as well as some audio editing, and gaming. I'm getting a 2nd gen DX10 card to swap in for Windows when they come out.

7. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

2.8 Octo. Stock apart from 2 x 750GB Samsung F1's (one backs up to the other every night). Obviously want to get more RAM, and possibly replace the boot drive for something less ****** than Apple decide to give you :rolleyes:

Use? Web, Tunes, and e-mail mostly. Wifey does some Photoshop on it. It was mostly bought with the thought that this should last quite some time, and so although largely unnecessary right now, the power and expandability will future proof it to some extent.

8. hakuryuu macrumors 6502

2008 2.8ghz Quad-core.

I use mine for Aerial photography RAW color balance processing (usually dealing with about 4k-7k Canon 1Ds Mark IIn images from a flight) and I boot into windows to run LiDAR (wiki) processing software.

9. johny5 macrumors 6502a

johny5

2.8 Octo, 10gb ram, 1 x 320gb, 1 x 750gb, 1 x 500gb, 1 x 1TB.

Surfing the web and email :D

It is my main Mac for my family photo collection, use imovie aswell and will do more when I get my HD camcorder.

A little bit of visualhub, and Vmware fusion/XP for work.

Been trying not to use it as a games box as I use consoles for that (when I can be bothered to play games!) although I think i might install bootcamp just for C&C 3 at the weekend.

10. TheThirdMan macrumors regular

TheThirdMan

In me sig. Use it for word processing.

Nah, im gonna use it for 3d animation and video editing.

11. EVH macrumors member

3.2GHz, 8GB RAM (OWC), 8800GT 512MB, 1TB Samsung F1, 2x Superdrive, Wi-Fi
    23" Apple Cinema Display

Got delivered yesterday so I'm just getting it in to a routine, so I'll have to say web browsing and email, for now ;)

Will eventually be used for Photoshop work, ripping DVDs and some recording studio work as well as F@H.

12. inigel macrumors regular

inigel

Jan 08 model:
    • 2x 2.8GHz Quad Core
    • 10GB RAM (2x1GB, 4x2GB)
    • 500GB (Mac OS X) + 500GB (Time Machine) + 120GB (Windoze XP)
    • 512MB NIVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT
    • 23" Apple Cinema Display

I use mine for Final Cut Studios 2 and Photoshop. I usually put a hard drive in the 4th bay to store all the RAW camera and uncompressed videos for projects. I've got at least 7TB worth of heaps of hard drives locked away for if I ever need to dig them back out. The Mac Pro with its fast hard drive swapping is great for it.

I love my mac Pro

13. inigel macrumors regular

inigel

Get Command and Conquer 3 for Mac. It runs waaaay smoother then the PC version.

14. Cryptic1911 macrumors member

some Photoshop, Vmware, Reason 4.0, iTunes, web browsing, email

15. krye macrumors 68000

krye

Me too. And iLife stuff (iPhoto, Garageband, and iMovie.) I wanted a 30" cinema display and the Mac Mini can't do it. So the Mac Pro was the way to go. Also, I wanted dedicated graphics in case I get into gaming.

16. tourneur macrumors member

2.8GHz 8-core
    10GB RAM
    8800GT
    4x 750GB Spinpoint F1s (inc. 2-drive RAID 0)

Use: Final Cut, Avid (on a Tiger partition), After Effects

17. amik macrumors regular

2.8ghz 8-core
    10gb ram
    8800gt
    (3) 750gb Samsung F1 and the stock 320gb Barracuda + an OWC 1TB external for time machine
    HP LP3065

I bought mine because I was sick of using a laptop for photo processing/editing/archiving and wanted a nice big monitor. A secondary reason was to use it to store all of my lossless music and transmit it to my audio setup via the optical connection.

Now that I have it, I am loving the multimedia aspects and I'm planning to start getting into video.

18. product26 macrumors 6502a

product26

I have the original base model and i WOULD use it to mix music but m-audio will not release a proper driver for my firewire 1814.

In fact, this post just inspired me to install tiger... bye bye leopard :(

19. benpatient macrumors 68000

2008 2.8 Octo, 10GB RAM, 320+750+750 Hard Drives, 2600 GPU, Samsung 275T display.

Just finally arrived yesterday. Primary tasks include photoshop, indesign, illustrator work, Adobe Lightroom, encoding/ripping/storing various media and using 360connect to serve up a/v goodness to my xbox downstairs. I'll be putting boot camp on it tonight to play my Steam games. I haven't played Portal since my PC's RAM failed! Major Weighted Companion Cube withdrawl!

20. Ploki macrumors 68000

2008 Mac Pro 2,8 , 4gb ram, 320+750 WD Caviars, 8800GT.
    Echo Audiofire8

mainly for audio work. almost only for audio work

you guys seriously got 3000$ machines for web surfing and some iLife?

i dont think i ever started iLife, i deleted garage band first, removed all the "i"crap from the dock (except iTunes), and installed logic and finale :D
    and i really did bought it specifically for that - music & audio

21. jasonvp macrumors 6502a

jasonvp

3.2GHz octo, 10GB RAM (most of it from OWC), 8800GT, 2xDell 2405 LCDs.

Uses:
    - Photoshop
    - Final Cut Express
    - QuickTime Pro
    - all other generic Internet access (surfing, email, IMs, etc)

jas

22. 617arg macrumors 6502

2008 2.8 Octo, 2GB RAM, 500 + 750 Hard Drives, 8800GT

Main uses:
    Bought it for Autocad use although I need more RAM for Fusion to run smoothly (ordering today).
    Learning Archicad so that I can stick with a native Mac cad application.

Secondary uses:
    3d rendering (Archicad & Lightworks), Photoshop, various media.

23. kgarner macrumors 68000

kgarner

See my sig. It's the stock configuration right now, but I plan to add more RAM and drives later. I use mine as my "home" system, so it does a lot of really basic stuff, but I also will be using it for doing design work (mostly web design, but some print too). It's probably overkill, but I got it for free and it will last a long time for me. It's replacing the mini in my sig so you see I tend to upgrade rather slowly.

24. johny5 macrumors 6502a

johny5

how can that be when the mac version is the pc version running under Cider?
    I have read various threads on here and figured that I should go with the native xp version.

25. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

I have the 2006 2.66 GHz Mac Pro, other specs in my signature.

I use it to play games, occasionally edit video, do CAD under Windows, and it's a repository for my ever-growing music and photo collection. I also rip my DVDs onto my hard drives.