The whining is getting ridiculous now

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hj576, Nov 7, 2016.

1. hj576 macrumors regular

hj576

Ok, I joined this forum last Monday when I ordered The New Macbook Pro 2016 w/o touch bar. This will be my first apple product and I come from a history of using Windows Machines. I have spent a lot of time reading posts on this forum. Some people have raised genuine issues, like Louis's video showing dropping of WiFi signals, the keyboard, the clicking sound that cant be turned off, or the fact they no longer add extension cable in the box. But then, there is majority of the posts complaining about the PORTS !!!!! Every day some one comes up and adds a new post complaining about the lack of ports. Then there are people that come in and complaint saying "They made no improvements, just removed the ports"
    Seriously ?
    SERIOUSLY !!
    Better Screen, Better Sound, Better SSD,Better CPU and iGPU and better GPU in 15inch, better form factor seems like nothing to you guys ?

And then there are bunch of people posting about how they cancelled their orders or returned their Macbook Pro. The similarity in all of them, they have a recent MBPr or rMB(mostly 2015 model) , which is working perfectly for them, yet they ordered a new one, once they get it they realize they dont need it because they already have a perfectly functional machine. And then they return it and complaint about the new Macbook Pro. People saying they returned it because it lacked ports, How can you not know that before buying the machine.....

Those people who actually needed a new machine seem to be happy with their purchase, while those who did not need it or do not intend to buy it are complaining non stop
    The amount of whining and complaining is really getting ridiculous on this forum. This has to be the most negative place on the Internet. Even when there is a post specifically aimed at discussing the positives of the new macbook's, some one comes in and start posting why they hate it. Everyone gets it, the machine lacks ports, I am not trying to defend the laptop here, I think apple made some stupid design decision with this particular refresh, but come on, its been 10 days since the release, everyone knows it lacks the basic ports. STOP COMPLAINING NON STOP 24/7. I would love to hear genuine issues the machine has on real problems people are facing, but every other post you open about this machine, you have people complaining non stop about the lack of ports ....

2. fate0311 macrumors 6502

3. keviig macrumors 6502

I agree. There is way too much negativity here. I love researching products both before and after a purchase, especially expensive things like a Mac. But the massive negativity here removes much of the joy in doing that.

4. hj576 thread starter macrumors regular

hj576

And please dont even get me started on how much people have blown the dongle situation out of proportion. Yes I get its totally absurd you can not connect your iPhone to your new Macbook Pro, but all it takes is a single USB-C to USB-A wire.
    And I am quite sure apple will include a Lightning to USB-C cable next year around on their iPhones (they should actually start doing that now).

And all the missing ports you need, can easily be achieved with a single hub, And yes we dont have the most stable hubs in the market at the moment, but that will change very soon, its an open market and a lot of companies will jump in.

People are making it sound like you need to carry 25 different adapters each weighing 5 kgs and are as big as a brick with you. All you need is a single hub or a couple of cables that you can easily through in the compartment you keep your charging brick.
    And you will mostly need these when you are on your desk or working professionally, How many people use their ports when they are browsing facebook on their bed ?

And of course then there is this article that further covers what I am saying

https://www.thurrott.com/hardware/84734/dongleworld-weve-always-lived-dongleworld

5. Rigby macrumors 601

The reason why few people get excited about these spec bumps is simple: They make very little difference in practice, simply because the previous generation was already very good.
    Actually the criticism is very widespread. E.g. you can find dozens of links with the same complaints here:

http://mjtsai.com/blog/2016/10/27/new-macbook-pros-and-the-state-of-the-mac/
    Has it ever crossed your mind that the lack of ports that are usable in the real world *is* a "real problem" for some people?

Last not least, since you wrote that this is your first Apple computer: Please realize that many people who are complaining here aren't "haters" or "whiners", but long-time fans of the Mac and OS X. That's precisely why they are so disappointed.

6. Macalway macrumors 68020

7. robjulo macrumors 65816

Why does this upset you so much? Skip the threads.

8. hj576 thread starter macrumors regular

hj576

What else are manufacturers suppose to do beside spec bumps and form factor updates? Expecting a touch screen from apple is absurd, we all know apple is not planning on going down that road any time soon, so what else is left beside a spec bump and better form factor + touch bar ?

I know it does, I agree its a problem, but people just seem to be dragging the issue more than it deserves to be dragged
    --- Post Merged, Nov 7, 2016 ---
    As I said, the people complaining about the ports infiltrate the posts that are specifically discussing the good things. And every time some one posts that they are not happy, I want to read whats wrong, to see if there is a genuine issue, and it always ends up being ports -_-

9. aristobrat, Nov 7, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2016

aristobrat macrumors G5

But that's just the thing.

Now everyone will have FOUR ports, and each port can be a charging port. Or it can be a USB port. Or a Thunderbolt port. Or a Displayport port. The user gets to decide what each port will be used for. That's a whole lot of real-world usability, IMO ... more than what people have today.

Nobody's ever had a retina MacBook Pro with 4 USB ports before.
    .. or 4 Thunderbolt ports
    .. or 3 USB ports + 1 Thunderbolt port .. or vice-versa .. mix and match away
    .. or the ability to charge it (or use a TB device) from the right-side (if the cable runs better that way)

... but they do now.

10. Slim Boy Fat macrumors member

The only thing more annoying than the whining is the whining about the whining ;)

11. hj576 thread starter macrumors regular

hj576

Whinningception ?

12. ultra7k macrumors 6502

ultra7k

if people don't like it, they shouldn't buy it, besides if the accessory market isn't there yet, just wait a while and it will be. By the time people really need an upgrade, USB-C should be more ubiquitous.

13. jackoatmon macrumors 6502a

jackoatmon

Which itself isn't nearly as bad as the whining about the whining about the whining.

14. leman macrumors G3

Its not just the negativity, its also the blatant lack of education and stubborn resistance to objective comparison. Like people complaining that the MacBooks are not using Kaby Lake CPUs (which are currently slower that what Apple is using) or DDR4 RAM (which again, has higher latency and power consumption than what Apple is using). Or people complaining that Apple is not using Nvidia graphics (even though no lower TDB Nvidia GPUs are currently available). Or people complaining about MBP high prices and lack of performance and at the same time praising the Surface line (which is just as expensive but uses worse hardware). Or people crying that Apple is forsaking pros because they refuse to use faster GPUs (even though Apple never ever used fast GPUs in a laptop, ever!) We even have an article on The Verge now where they are repeating the same obvious nonsense. Frankly, I find it really scary. Its the Trump phenomenon, all over.

15. Rigby macrumors 601

Personally, I would have been happy with the spec bumps and the lower weight IF they had simply left alone what was great before (keyboard, touchpad, Magsafe) and not crippled the connectivity to the point where usability is seriously impacted.

Maybe as someone new to Apple you are not aware of this, but for long-time Mac fans this latest release seems like one more instance of the disappointing trajectory that Apple has been on for the last few years: Making the Macs more and more limited and slowly turning them from computers that were great tools for many professionals and power users to fashionable and glitzy consumer devices. This is also reflected in other moves like the neglect of the Mac Pro, the crippling of the Mac Mini, and the single-port Macbook.

16. allan.nyholm, Nov 7, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2016

allan.nyholm macrumors 6502a

allan.nyholm

I agree. Constantly complaining is Zzzzzz-like.

The day will probably come when there's only one available port on portable Macs; a charging port. Even that might be eliminated in favour of that technology where phones are charged via. a underlying mat.

No, I can't imagine that would happen that swiftly - people would still need some form of USB port or similar port-technology.

17. nbritton macrumors regular

Why all the complaints? The following spreadsheet tells you everything you need to know:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B84n60csy_WqV015bC1KV3BVMEU

Just yesterday I bought a maxed out 2015 MBP 15, with 2.8GHz cpu, 16GB ram, and 1TB disk. It was about $550 cheaper then an equivalently comparable 2016 model. It will be replacing a 2011 and 2014 MBP. My 2011 MBP is still capable of meeting my needs. I originally bought the 2014 to replace it but I never got around to actually decommissioning it. The 2014 I've been using for another purpose. My only trouble with them is I'm out of disk space. So this new maxed out 2015 I'm expecting to last me at least 5 years and I'll probably still be using it 10 years down the road. That's when I'll upgrade to USB-C. You have to remember there are around 50 billion existing USB devices and many manufacturers will continuing using the the Type-A port because the bom (bill of materials) cost is cheaper. Apple is taking the right path, but they are a few years ahead of the curve.

18. mrex macrumors 68030

mrex

this is your first macbook pro but you already know what people, who have used mbp's for years, need and want? please, do a favor - predict the future!

im sorry but you are the last person to criticize people who already has and has have many mbp and are disappointed in the new one.

19. hj576 thread starter macrumors regular

hj576

let me predict the future, USB -C will be used widely in the next coming years
    there BOOOM

And if you have read my initial post, I have no problem with people brining up authentic issues. 16GB limitation, the new keyboard, potential wifi issues, trackpad sound. Thats all fine. Even people talking about moving to Windows is interesting to read if they have proper reasons
    But just complaining about ports non stop for 10 days is really getting annoying ...

20. lobo1978 macrumors 6502

lobo1978

I'm long time Mac user and I am not disappointed. When I am disappointed with a product I DON'T BUY IT.

I do not whine, preach or 'share' (spread) my negative opinion with others on public forum.

21. Rigby macrumors 601

Good for you. The problem with that line of argument is that some people need a new computer from time to time, and if they need or like OS X, they don't have another choice than buying from Apple.
    Instead you opine about others sharing their opinion. How very productive.

22. robjulo macrumors 65816

Like it or not, the ports are an enormous issue, especially given the price. I was ready to buy on day one, until I saw the pricing. Apple seriously wants me to drop money on dongles after charging what they are?

Instead of placing my order, I closed by browser. Will I still buy? I might, but it has caused me to seriously consider a a Windows 10 based product, which are literally half the price for a high quality product.

23. enzoshadow macrumors member

Is it? Or is it because none of these people has tried to used one or even get to touch one? These are the people shopping their electronics by spec sheets. What Apple is known for is their overall experience. Something that can't be expressed through a sheet of paper.

24. ihatetoregister macrumors 6502

ihatetoregister

Maybe people wouldn't whine so much if there was anything "pro" in those machines.
    Maybe people wouldn't whine so much because they have to consider Windows machine, which are literally half the price for better hardware (And no, being the lightest on a laptop doesn't matter when you're 150gr lighter than the equivalent PC), and the possibility of gaming.
    Maybe people wouldn't whine so much if they had kept ONE USB port (what's so hard about that?!), and magsafe.
    Maybe people wouldn't whine so much if the specs weren't so crappy.

Basically you're complaining about the fact people here, and everywhere really, are disappointed in those machines and Apple.

25. xraydoc macrumors 604

xraydoc