The whole issue with yellow screens on new 3GS. not a defect?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by VideoNewbie, Jun 20, 2009.

1. VideoNewbie macrumors 6502

a simple search on google blogsearch and twitter yields many results of ppl noticing that their phone has a yellow tint

hres one from a blog

[​IMG]

and another from a guy on twitter

[​IMG]

http://twitpic.com/7vpgl

and another from a random blogger

------------------------

my question is , is this a factory defect or is it an intentional setting that can later be remedied with a software update?

im not understanding some of the ppl on here who say they are going to "Trade it in for a new one immediately!" as if that will solve the problem? it seems like ALL the new 3gs have this yellow tint issue? so just bcause u get a new one ...wont u just end up with the same problem?

are u allowed to keep swapping out new phones until u get one which does not have a warm tone to the screen? (if that even exists?)

2. The General macrumors 601

Correct. Not a defect. Apple even said they adjusted the white point and made it slightly warmer. All these whiners just look for anything to complain. The only way you can even tell the difference between the 3G/3G S and the 2G is if you have them right next to eachother, otherwise it's totally unnoticeable.

Your choice of words are confusing. This is a software setting, but it cannot be "remedied" because that would imply that it's broken. They intentionally made it that way and most likely will not change it back.

3. VideoNewbie thread starter macrumors 6502

if they intentionally made it that way why are they satisfying some of the ppl on here who are saying things like "i talked to apple and they are overnighting me a new one asap!!" or "this is unacceptable im going to the store first thing in the morning to demand a refund!" why would apple agree to overnight u a new iphone if ur noticing something that they intentionallly did to all the phones?

4. Eallan macrumors 6502

Thats not the only way you can tell. Seeing color temperature is easy. Whites look yellow when the screen is too warm (IMO) like the 3gs.

No one is whining, they see a change they don't like and they're looking for answer. It can't be remedied by us. Apple could surely change the temperature.

5. MadMacxxx macrumors 6502a

MadMacxxx

i dont like the warm tint either....makes my whites look like yellow...

6. sk8mash macrumors 6502a

sk8mash

Wow there would be none of this if it was any other phone. Seriously wow.

7. alFR macrumors 68020

Mine looks fine. In fact, holding it next to my MBP's screen it looks slightly bluer. I suspect that, like the 3G screen "issue" last year, this will turn out to be a combination of isolated defects, slightly different screens to previous models and a lot of people overreacting.

8. doug in albq Suspended

doug in albq

it is simply a cheaper and or less power hungry screen....

drink the kool-aid and be quiet..........

9. starstudded macrumors newbie

When did Apple even say this. Stop making it up.

10. timb macrumors regular

You're an idiot. They never said this about the 3G S. Ever. Holding my 3G S side by side with my friend's shows a very noticeable yellow cast.

Holding my 3G S next to my 3G also shows it.

[​IMG]
    Click for big.

This is not right and Apple agrees. If your phone is like this, they'll replace it right away.

We're all aware that Apple warmed the color temperature when going from the original to the 3G, but that's not what this issue is.

The people commenting on this with no first hand knowledge are really beginning to piss me off. If you don't know what you're talking about, or can't be bothered to read threads, then don't comment. It's not a hard concept.

11. rorschach macrumors 68020

rorschach

They said that about the 3G. Where did they say this about the 3G S?

Not really. I noticed it immediately, not because my screen was "warmer" but because it looked horrible. Only then did I go compare it to my 3G to see if it was actually different or it was just me.

Look at this picture and tell me this is both "slightly" warmer, and normal:

[​IMG]

Neither of those is really "color accurate" but the 3G S, at least mine, looks like a dirty window, not "warmer."

12. hojoon0724 macrumors regular

your iphone 3gs is yellow
    your iphone 3g is red

they're both defected

13. rorschach macrumors 68020

rorschach

Yeah I know that. I never bothered to get my 3G replaced though...this time for the 3G S I will.

14. timb macrumors regular

Were they working for the KGB? :confused:

15. brightlights macrumors regular

How is that any different from last year? Look at the images here - http://www.appleinsider.com/article...opters_bothered_by_yellow_tinted_screens.html

I have no problem with people complaining, because it does look yellow. But it seems pointless to argue that it is any different from the complaints happening in 2008.

16. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

I used an iPhone 3G S yesterday and the screen tint didn't look noticeably yellow to me. It looked like the iPhone 3G screen actually. It did have annoying scan lines all over I though.

17. SecretNY macrumors member

The issue is the screens are varying between phones. My looks yellow compared to my friends 3GS. There is a difference.

18. toughturtle macrumors newbie

toughturtle

I have gotten used to the yellowish tint, but if it is probably because I am turning the brightness way up to compensate.

ugh.

19. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

I'm not seeing this. My 3GS is markedly less yellow than the 3G. Much nicer, deep blues. 3GS on the left, 3G on the right (both at half brightness):

Attached Files:

20. jmpage2 macrumors 68030

jmpage2

Funny as my first screen had the yellow cast and just looked "off" like it was tinted or something.

Swapped it out and the new one looks fine even if it is "warmer".

I posted a thread about it and got jumped all over as well by Apple Apologists.

We pay a premium for these devices and do hold Apple to a higher standard. Considering these handsets cost $599-$699 depending on model I would say we have every right to.

21. woodtrain54 macrumors newbie

its definitely a defect. my brother and i both got 3gs' s on friday. next to his, it looks like somebody peed on my phone. Its completely yellow. i'll try to take a side by side picture later. but overall, it's definitely not right. i'm taking it to get exchanged on friday.

22. jmpage2 macrumors 68030

jmpage2

Unfortunately when you report such things in the Macrumors Forum you are going to take a lot of flak. Someone is already in time out in this thread, and yet people have called me an "idiot", etc, in similar threads and simply had their post edited and were never placed in time out.

Kind of indicates which way the wind blows around here when it comes to criticizing Apple.

23. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

It seems the problem was also around on 3G iPhones. See my attached photo above. The yellow screen on the right is the 3G not the 3GS

Hopefully they let you swap 'em.

24. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Ugh, it's a complete repeat of last year. Before long we're going to see posts of people exchanging their iPhones 5,6,7 times because they think all fo the screens they've gotten are "defective." :rolleyes:

25. jmpage2 macrumors 68030

jmpage2

If your screen looks like it has a yellow tint to it, that's not "warmer" that's not "normal" especially if you hold it up to another 3GS phone and it looks totally different.

This is what people are talking about.

If it doesn't bother you then don't worry about it, but if you just paid $499 for a piss yellow screen iPhone you have every right to want it swapped out especially if your new one looks normal.