OS Neutral The Worst Game You Ever Bought?

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by Huntn, Jan 12, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Tsuchiya macrumors 68020

Tsuchiya

I'll never forgive THQ or WWE for making/publishing/licensing WWE Raw for Xbox/PC back in 2002.
    I was this huge wrestling fan back when I was 12, and enjoyed the heck out of the Smackdown series on PS1. When the Xbox came out I was so hyped about Raw, thinking it was just an updated and graphically superior Smackdown 2 and I chose that as my one game for the system instead of Halo.

I still feel bitter about it to this day, that game was such a huge pile of **** and far inferior to the PS1 games.

2. Adam Warlock macrumors regular

Adam Warlock

Not sure about worst--although it was a horrible game both technically and in terms of gameplay--but certainly the most disappointing was Ultima IX, especially for long-time Ultima fans.

3. Suture macrumors 6502a

Suture

Ultima 8 was a pretty significant change from 7; I loved 7 (and previous ones). 8 is where I stopped. I never played anything after.

4. francisbaud macrumors newbie

francisbaud

Hailan Rising developed by Reloaded productions (GamersFirst, the company hosting APB: Reloaded). I purchased an early access Alpha, then the Beta began, it failed to attract enough players and the story ends here. =/ It's a shame because it had a pretty good storyline and game design, lot of great ideas... Alas.

5. MacAlien macrumors 6502

MacAlien

Hmm... so difficult to choose! Shadow of Mordor, Universe Sandbox, and Homeworld

6. wubsylol macrumors 6502

Overwatch!
    It was hyped to hell, yet I found it to be the most unimaginative, depth-lacking, game ever.

7. Colpeas macrumors 6502

Colpeas

Probably Outrun 2006 for PSP I bought waaaay back... in 2007. Expected a lot, but the give turned out to be kinda dumb. So that's for the worst game I ever bought.

However, if games I got as a gift count too, the winner would be Test Drive Unlimited 2. Loved the first TDU, but AFAICT the second was way too buggy, poorly PC optimized and I got bored playing it after about 2 or maybe 3 hours of gametime, at the end of which it crashed and all the progress was lost. What a stupid ****ing game...

8. TheGenerous macrumors 6502a

TheGenerous

For the Gameboy;
    • The Simpsons: Bart vs. the Juggernauts
    • Mortal Kombat

9. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 603

T'hain Esh Kelch

Not really, but it was the best I could come up with. ;)

I've bought many bundles, because they are filled with games I want. But some of course contains one or two games that I didn't want, so I just end up with several of them over time.

10. paulryp macrumors regular

not trolling but, uncharted 4.
    As i owned a xbox 360 i missed out on this franchise. So when i finally got a PS4 i couldn't wait to play this. Gahhhh boring and linear. But i hate 3rd person cover based games.

Also Doom 2016 as i was hoping to return to the world of PSX doom and Doom 64 but alas it wasn't anyway near as good as those :(

11. padams35 macrumors regular

Excluding all of the fremium/freeware/shareware/demo stuff... Hearts of Iron 3. I've made a couple nostalgic purchases of 'classics' that aged poorly (exhibit A: Myst for the 3DS) but the Mac port of HoI3 managed to combine a frustratingly steep learning curve and a slow game pace with frequent crashes.

12. Solomani macrumors 68040

Solomani

But in The Sims….. hiring an attractive maid ends up with her becoming your wife! And then, babies! Nooboos, you know?

13. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

yes - and I even tried the XBox One Free Play Weekend with it - and yes, didn't like it at all...

It is still overhyped to this day.

The Nintendo Switch is even getting "downplayed" because "it can't run Overwatch"....

Like, I didn't know I was supposed to care... :rolleyes:

14. GoldfishRT macrumors 6502

GoldfishRT

I know we all have our own tastes but man i can't believe some of these answers...

As a child I spent way too much of my allowance money on those offbrand Tycoon games you'd find at like CompUSA and I have no doubt one of those should be at the top of this list.

I think the worst one in recent memory was probably Borderlands 2 on Vita. Good game, although not one I love. But man that port is terrible.

Somehow seemed more futile playing that than the Saturn copy of Doom I had as a kid.

15. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

MLB 2K12 on PC. UNPLAYABLE. I wanted to thump someones head. Found out later they knew of the control and GUI problems and basically shrugged their shoulders and told you to f**k off.

16. RedTomato macrumors 601

RedTomato

Some strange hobbit / Tolkien text adventure I brought as a kid. Was quite expensive, but never loaded on my computer. I took it back for a refund as broken, and they demonstrated it working on their computer and refused the refund. I was quite upset and never brought anything from that store afterwards.

Looking back, even if it had worked, I was so young I probably wouldn't have got more than 10 mins out of it.

17. chelsel macrumors 6502

Chess... what an incredibly boring game. I really just want to pretend to be an elite sniper in my own war campaign.. maybe throw some zombies in too.

18. docandy macrumors newbie

Showing my age here.....but trust me none of the above can touch how poor "metagalactic llamas battle at the edge of time" was...

i played it on the Vic20 and it was so bad i had tried to forget!

19. arkitect macrumors 603

arkitect

Tell you what though, the name alone is so bad I went to go Google it. The Youtube video is enough to convince me.
    Ah, the 80s… :)

20. docandy macrumors newbie

Thanks for checking it out!

21. Nemesis90 macrumors newbie

Patriot - released by 360 Pacific in 1991. A horrible "game" whose review (of the improved version!) by the magazine Computer Gaming World Read:
    QUESTION: What do Patriot and The Satanic Verses have in common?

ANSWER: In both cases, the end-users want to kill the author.​

So, so disappointing after several great V for Victory games.

22. RedTomato macrumors 601

RedTomato

The moment I saw the word Llama ... I knew it was a Jeff Minter game. To give the man credit, he had a vision and he followed it through. LLAMAS WITH EVERYTHING!

Jeff Minter is still going strong, releasing games for iOS and other platforms, starring a narrow variety of ruminants.

He now lives in Wales with his partner Ivan, and of course, several yaks llamas.

Fun fact: He had himself genetically altered to resemble his favourite (at that time) ruminant - Yaks.

[​IMG]

23. Garrod Suspended

Garrod

It was GTA IV for Windows...until they patched it only earlier this year and all the frame rate issues and lag problems seem to have been fixed; a mere nine years since it was first released!

As for Spore? Never got past the the first 'stage' I got that bored with it. No Man's Sky? Love that game (no joke!).

24. interstella macrumors regular

interstella

I enjoy space games so bought Homeworld Remastered as there appeared to be a lot of rave reviews. What a disappointment. Awful game. Managed to get a refund.

25. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

Eh? It's quite good, especially now that it's been patched. It (mostly) deserves the reviews. The original Homeworld, though, which is included...I checked it out, and while interesting for the sake of completeness, I don't think it's held up very well, though it seems to have its fans. I find the remastered version to be far more playable (and better looking of course).

--Eric