'Theater Mode' Coming to Apple Watch

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 24, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Apple hasn't released the first watchOS 3.2 beta to developers as of yet, but the company has shared release notes highlighting the new features that will be introduced in the update.

The most important new feature is a "Theater Mode" that's designed to let customers quickly mute the sound on their Apple Watch and disable raise to wake, preventing the screen from lighting up with arm movement.

With Theater Mode enabled, customers will still receive haptic feedback for each incoming notification, and information can be viewed by tapping the screen or pressing down on the Digital Crown.

According to Apple, Theater Mode was included in watchOS 3.1.3, but it does not yet appear to be available to consumers as an option, suggesting it will be activated when watchOS 3.2 is installed.

Rumors originally suggested a theater mode would be included in iOS 10.3, but it appears the mode was actually designed for the Apple Watch, where it arguably makes a lot more sense. That rumor said theater mode would be activated through a popcorn-shaped icon, so we may see that icon on the Apple Watch.

watchOS 3.2 also brings SiriKit to the Apple Watch, allowing customers to ask Siri to do things like send messages, send payments, book a ride, log a workout, make a call, or search through photos. SiriKit has been available on iOS devices since the release of iOS 10, but is new to the Apple Watch.

WatchKit Framework Enhancements and the AVAudioPlayer API are other new features being added in watchOS 3.2. Given iOS 10.3, tvOS 10.2, and macOS Sierra 10.12.4 were released today, we could see a watchOS 3.2 beta soon, but Apple has given no indication of when it will launch.

Article Link: 'Theater Mode' Coming to Apple Watch

2. Appleaker, Jan 24, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2017

Appleaker macrumors 68020

This makes more sense.

A dark mode would probably be named 'dark mode'. Hopefully this comes in iOS 11 and isn't an OLED exclusive.

3. AppleFan91 macrumors 65816

AppleFan91

Well that's definitely not dark mode for iOS 10. Bummer....

#ThanksSonnyDickson

4. SoN1NjA macrumors 68000

SoN1NjA

5. andy.ringwood Suspended

Dark Mode = iPhone 8 exclusive. Will be interesting to see how they preview it at WWDC though. They might add it to the last two generations of iPhone.

6. Rychiar macrumors 6502

Rychiar

Ugh would it not take them two minutes to code a dark mode, at least for messages? So annoying having to inverse colors all the time at night. I could care less about any other update other than that at this point

7. Zaft macrumors 68040

Zaft

8. MrGimper macrumors 603

MrGimper

How anyone translated "Theatre Mode" into "Dark Mode" is beyond me.

9. ccrunner_tj macrumors member

ccrunner_tj

This makes perfect sense. I was watching La La Land the other day and my watch kept lighting up when I moved my wrist. The name definitely reflects what it would be used for. However....

Night mode seems long overdue. Really hoping for it in iOS 11.

10. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

Makes a lot of sense really. I already use a 'cinema face' which is just the modular face in red with no complications as a compromise, but this would be a better solution.

11. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Interesting to see this for the Apple Watch over the iPhone. I'm curious to test this on my Apple Watch.

In my opinion, I'm not sure dark mode will ever exist for the iPhone.

12. JoeyEatWorld macrumors member

JoeyEatWorld

I'm glad this will be coming. I always have to put my watch on do not disturb when I see a movie since the watch face will turn on so easily in a theater.

13. rudychidiac Suspended

rudychidiac

14. WeemanWise macrumors 6502

WeemanWise

Included in 3.1.3 but not activated until 3.2? Why bother including it in 3.1.3 then?

15. ghostface147 macrumors 68030

ghostface147

At least we have an idea what path Apple is taking with theatre mode. Just sounds like flipping on vibrate on an iPhone.

16. Dave245 macrumors 604

Dave245

This is a great idea, I've noticed that when at the cinema and moving my arms around even slightly raising them, causes my Apple Watch to light up.

17. HJM.NL macrumors 68000

HJM.NL

Wow, a mute button, GREAT! Apple has been putting me on theater mode or should I say theatrical mode :(

18. kdarling macrumors P6

kdarling

First university coding class = 47 years ago
    Good. Missed it. One of the most loved features of Android Wear watches from the start.

Nothing worse than people's phones and watches lighting up a theatre.

When Wear 2.0 came out, people freaked because it disappeared from the quick settings menu, but it turned out you just had to double click the side button to enable it.

19. CrownVic macrumors regular

CrownVic

I would hope they give it to the 7 and 7 Plus. They focused so much on black iPhones, you'd think they would make a darker OS option

20. petsounds macrumors 65816

I don't see how this is deserving of a whole article; this is a minor feature at best.

21. SoN1NjA macrumors 68000

SoN1NjA

Probably because phone is in pocket in movie theater, so screen wouldn't come on

22. RodoBobJon macrumors member

This makes a lot of sense. It will also be useful for people who sleep with their watch on and don't want the screen to light up in the middle of the night while tossing and turning.

23. AppleFan91 macrumors 65816

AppleFan91

Because for well over a month, "theater mode" has been heavily rumored to exist and to possibly be a dark mode of sorts. The fact that it's been now confirmed to be a new feature, they made an article about it. Not saying it should be breaking news - CNN update - national emergency alert worthy, but they've made articles in the past for much less news-worthy items.

24. Mike Oxard macrumors 6502a

Mike Oxard

It warrants an article because it answers the question everyone had about the rumoured "theatre mode"

25. Prabas macrumors 6502a

Prabas

If Dark Mode exists it will be available on AMOLED screens only, you will not see it elsewhere.