There is NO reception issue. THE FACTS.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by drjsway, Jul 1, 2010.

1. drjsway macrumors 6502a

1. Every phone with an internal antenna will experience signal loss when held.

2. Every phone is legally required to put their antenna on the bottom of the phone because of laws concerning radiation. Therefore, cupping the bottom of any phone IS NOT the right way to hold it, regardless of how natural it feels.

3. Does the iPhone 4 experience MORE signal loss than other phones when held in this manner? According to Anandtech, definitely more than the 3GS and Nexus One. But since there is no set standard on how much signal loss is acceptable and no laws regarding this, it is NOT an issue legally and therefore, Apple is not legally required to fix it (they can if they want to).

4. The phone DOES NOT drop calls regardless of how you hold it if you have a strong enough signal.

5. Does this make the iPhone 4 a poor phone for making calls? If you prefer to hold the phone this way, then yes. However, it is not defective, only poor and companies are legally allowed to release poor products. If you are dissatisfied, please return the phone and get another one.

6. But my store has a restocking fee! Then it is your mistake for buying it on launch day. Most people wouldn't think about buying anything else (phones, computers, TVs, cars, etc.) wouldn't first reading a few reviews but for Apple products, they get sucked in by the mania. That's nobody's fault but your own.

2. freejack macrumors regular

freejack

FACT: My signal goes from five bars to none within 10 seconds if I hold it the wrong way. Explain that.

3. woosah macrumors regular

woosah

4. Romanesq macrumors 6502a

Romanesq

wot a jerkoff

Have had all four phones. There's an issue since Apple placed the antenna outside the phone and one finger of death can end a call.

I did it plenty before getting a nice Body Glove case to end the problem.

No one likes a phony kid playing engineer. :p

5. shawntkeating macrumors member

6. zoman504 macrumors regular

wait, how's it go again? ahh yes...cool story, bro

7. carrotcloud macrumors member

what about external? isn't that the issue here?
    *yawn*

8. samcraig macrumors P6

I saw a lot of IFs in the OP.

I also saw a lot of grandstanding.

Here's a fact - people are having different experiences.

9. ipoddin macrumors 6502a

ipoddin

Damn, I think we need a separate iPhone forum for people with reception issues. Cluttering up this place.

10. tigres macrumors 68040

tigres

There are what.... 75 threads +/- on this in 2 days.

OP really... I mean realllllllllllyyyyyy

Search the damn forums, unless your looking for trouble with your bait.

11. drjsway thread starter macrumors 6502a

5. Does this make the iPhone 4 a poor phone for making calls? If you prefer to hold the phone this way, then yes. However, it is not defective, only poor and companies are legally allowed to release poor products. If you are dissatisfied, please return the phone and get another one.

BTW, five bars doesn't make you have a strong enough signal. To simplify, let's say you measure signal strength from 0% to 100%. 4 bars might be 10-15% and 15-100% might be 5 bars.

12. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

OP...fact 2 is wrong. There is no law that requires the antenna to be at the bottom. Just that laws that limit radiation levels tend to push the design of the antenna to the bottom

It is a subtle but important distinction

13. samcraig macrumors P6

Well I'm glad this has all been settled. Thank you OP. Now no one has to post about this "non issue" again - right?

Yeah... g'luck with that

14. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    • The iPhone 4 antenna is not on the bottom.
    • The problem is not about covering the antenna, it's about shorting it to a different antenna.
    • First you claim there's no problem. Then you claim it's the customer's fault for not knowing about it.

15. samcraig macrumors P6

Shhhhh his post are FACTS!

16. zoman504 macrumors regular

But are they CONFIRMED?

17. Block macrumors 6502a

Block

I realized that topics started by new members (past 1-1.5 years) tend to be of much lower quality than those started by more senior members. Hopefully this isn't reflective of Apple's growing and changing user base.

18. BruiserBear macrumors 6502a

This thread is so awesome! I'm so glad to find out all these reception problems don't actually exist!

19. drjsway thread starter macrumors 6502a

Since there is no way to put an internal antenna on the top without exceeding radiation laws, what's the difference?

20. jamesryanbell macrumors 68020

jamesryanbell

I've still had zero issue anywhere from College Station to Galveston TX. Look at the coverage maps too....there are some seriously weak points on that part of the grid.

Sucks for those that do though. :(

21. samcraig macrumors P6

Well according to you - a company could limit the amount of radiation - put the antenna on top and have a phone that REALLY couldn't make calls. Hey - you can put out a poor product, right? Wasn't that one of your facts?

22. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

I don't think you can quite make that claim to be quite honest with you

If you are going to "state facts" may as well be correct with them

23. tuatha macrumors regular

Just wanted to say that I have read the post and can CONFIRM all of these FACTS

FACTS

TRUTH

PROOF

EVIDENCE

These are not not just empty buzzwords for a man like drjsway

24. Dammit Cubs macrumors 68000

Dammit Cubs

interference from human contact was characterized at 20dbm drop. Logarithm scaling used on the band. 20dbm drop in a log scale is 4 bars at a certain point.

[​IMG]

25. dagomike macrumors 65816

So, the iPhone 4 is the worst voice phone Apple has made.