Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
No, it doesn't. Lightning is digital-only. Many car stereo systems relied upon the "iPod out" over 30-pin for controls. Therefore it broke a lot of things. Apple's website says some things won't work with it. It's not 100% compatible. This is the worst thing about it.

The other things that are bad about Lightning are:
• does not let you mount your phone directly into devices that are made for 30-pin, which is like, almost all of them.
• being a much smaller port, does not physically support the attachment of devices to the phone
• cord is not capable of locking into place like 30-pin was, leading to unintentional disconnects during performances

All of your childish, impish responses about dot-matrix printers are nothing more than churlish trolling. Likening the shift from dot-matrix to laser printers (which involved an improvement in technology) with the shift from 30-pin to Lightning (which involved a loss of features and a devolving of technology) is ridiculous. The only difference between 30-pin accessories and Lightning ones (besides the fact that 30-pin ones exist, and Lightning ones don't) is that Lightning accessories are the same as 30-pin accessories.

If you're still running everything via cords, you should really look at other options. I had a $100 car mount with a 30-pin dock. Knowing that it wouldn't work with the 5S due to the port and height, I went shopping. Found an adjustable dock that doesn't bind you to any strict size or cable, and found a Bluetooth adapter for my line out jack. It's also better because I'm not forced to charge my phone every time I want to use the dock/holder.

Eventually you have to buy new accessories with technology. People complained a bit as floppy drives disappeared from notebooks until better stuff evolved. Bluetooth allows a lot more multi platform support, which is why it's growing.

evan3168

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2012
Virginia
The crux of your argument is that the lightning connector doesn't offer any benefits over the dock connector and is, therefore, a useless transition. But Apple explicitly explained they created lightning because the dock connector was a limiting factor for their design.

The lightning connector likely also has some built in technologies (or an internal roadmap for some) that Apple hasn't yet leveraged. I don't think we've yet seen all the tangible benefits of the connector.

I also agree with others that these complaints would've happened at any point they switched. It's the unfortunate part of advancing technologies.

I do think it's silly the adapter doesn't work with the case though and hopefully they release a modified adapter that does.

darkgoob

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 16, 2008
Ah I see. That's a shame.
And yeah, I was just thinking how easy it seems to break the connector considering how small it is. I have a 4S though so I really don't have anything to back that up.

Yeah. Another thing is, as I've said, they could've done what was done with USB, and updated the 30-pin connector to a "version 2.0" of it, or such, so that it could still work with existing products.

I've got six 30-pin to USB cables, which I have strategically placed in all of the places I normally spend time, so that I can generally always keep my phone charged. Now, I have to keep track of a stupid adapter and take that with me everywhere, OR, buy six lightning-to-USB cables, which will cost me $115 on the Apple store for something that SHOULD cost $30. These cables should cost no more than $4.99 each! $19?! Are you freaking kidding me?

Look at the 500 1-star reviews on store.apple.com for these cables. They break easily, they are too short, they are overpriced. Tell me something. Why is Apple doing something that the vast majority of its customers HATE?

You do realize that Apple's stock collapse coincided with the introduction of Lightning right? You know how many rich Wall Street guys with huge BMWs and Mercedes got iPhone 5's on launch day and discovered that their freaking hands-free systems no longer worked? Their way of playing music no longer worked? That's why the stock went down. Lightning.

Klae17

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2011
Fair enough but the 30-pin adapter doesn't work with my phone unless I take off the case. Now why would Apple make a case that prevents the use of its own adapter? I find this supremely annoying. I'm not going to be using the phone without a case during performances.

No, I'm selling the iPhone 4S for $350 due to it being unlocked now. I don't really feel like costing myself $350 just because Apple can't make a cable that's compatible with their own case. Also, I don't want to have to deal with two devices. I often work on stuff on my phone because I have it with me, then later use that in performances. I'm not about to start carrying around two iPhones.

Hopefully they've made a new version of the adapter that works with their new case. If so I'll make sure to get a free one from the Apple Store. Or else I'll just return their $39 case. It's nice, but it's just a case. I can get one off of eBay for $0.01 that offers better protection anyway. I like supporting Apple's bottom line (as a shareholder) but I don't like all my stuff being rendered unusable.

Dude. Chill out. You're not the only customer. Stop acting like it.

Col Ronson

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2008
Yeah. Another thing is, as I've said, they could've done what was done with USB, and updated the 30-pin connector to a "version 2.0" of it, or such, so that it could still work with existing products.

I've got six 30-pin to USB cables, which I have strategically placed in all of the places I normally spend time, so that I can generally always keep my phone charged. Now, I have to keep track of a stupid adapter and take that with me everywhere, OR, buy six lightning-to-USB cables, which will cost me $115 on the Apple store for something that SHOULD cost $30. These cables should cost no more than $4.99 each! $19?! Are you freaking kidding me?

Look at the 500 1-star reviews on store.apple.com for these cables. They break easily, they are too short, they are overpriced. Tell me something. Why is Apple doing something that the vast majority of its customers HATE?

You do realize that Apple's stock collapse coincided with the introduction of Lightning right? You know how many rich Wall Street guys with huge BMWs and Mercedes got iPhone 5's on launch day and discovered that their freaking hands-free systems no longer worked? Their way of playing music no longer worked? That's why the stock went down. Lightning.

99% of people don't mind the lightning connector. 99% of iPhone users actually like progress in technology, and thinner phones.

And thats just LOL the last comment. Rich guys connect to their handsfree systems via bluetooth. And for those that don't, all those cars you talk about have USB ports. Most people use a usb cable to hook up their phones to the car, not some outdated 30pin adapter. i'm not sure of any new car today that comes with a 30pin ipod adapter anyways. Thats ancient technology bro.

go ahead keep crying. Blame apple for not catering to the needs of a niche market. 30pin dock is a 10+ year old technology, its time for a change.

And lets just say for arguments sake the 30pin dock is better. Why wouldn't Apple just keep it in the iPhone 5 then? it would've saved so much money in development costs and mfg costs rather than designing a whole new connector. I mean obviously they just designed a new cable for ****s and giggles. No practical reason involved at all.

And i'm not sure if you haven't noticed, but the lightning cables click into the port, its not like they slide in and out at ease. Also the thin 30 pin dock connectors always have clicked in and out. The connectors with the two buttons you have to press to detach haven't been made in years...

wepiii

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2012
OP... While you are at it, could you also send a letter on my behalf to whoever it needs to go to in order to get my 8-tracks to play on my 5s? Thank you kind sir.

----------

Wow... You got me. I really thought you were serious until this....

Well played OP, you got me!

darkgoob

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 16, 2008
OP... While you are at it, could you also send a letter on my behalf to whoever it needs to go to in order to get my 8-tracks to play on my 5s? Thank you kind sir.

----------

Wow... You got me. I really thought you were serious until this....

Well played OP, you got me!

How would you feel if your BMW steering wheel could no longer advance to the next song, or answer the phone? You might feel like Apple's stock should go down.

Look at the date the stock started falling from its peak: September 21, 2012. The exact date that people who ordered their phones online would have started receiving them.

One lesson in life is not to tick off the wrong people.

wepiii

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2012
How would you feel if your BMW steering wheel could no longer advance to the next song, or answer the phone? You might feel like Apple's stock should go down.

Look at the date the stock started falling from its peak: September 21, 2012. The exact date that people who ordered their phones online would have started receiving them.

One lesson in life is not to tick off the wrong people.

I am not going to even attempt to list all the problems with this thought process.

darkgoob

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 16, 2008
99% of people don't mind the lightning connector. 99% of iPhone users actually like progress in technology, and thinner phones.

And thats just LOL the last comment. Rich guys connect to their handsfree systems via bluetooth. And for those that don't, all those cars you talk about have USB ports. Most people use a usb cable to hook up their phones to the car, not some outdated 30pin adapter. i'm not sure of any new car today that comes with a 30pin ipod adapter anyways. Thats ancient technology bro.

go ahead keep crying. Blame apple for not catering to the needs of a niche market. 30pin dock is a 10+ year old technology, its time for a change.

And lets just say for arguments sake the 30pin dock is better. Why wouldn't Apple just keep it in the iPhone 5 then? it would've saved so much money in development costs and mfg costs rather than designing a whole new connector. I mean obviously they just designed a new cable for ****s and giggles. No practical reason involved at all.

And i'm not sure if you haven't noticed, but the lightning cables click into the port, its not like they slide in and out at ease. Also the thin 30 pin dock connectors always have clicked in and out. The connectors with the two buttons you have to press to detach haven't been made in years...

Lightning clicks into the port but does not LOCK into the port. The 30-pin connector is capable of having cables that physically LOCK in place, requiring the connector to be squeezed from the sides in order to disconnect it. This is hugely important in performance where you might be moving around. When something comes unplugged, it's a huge hassle. It's why XLR mic cables have a locking mechanism. That's one of the best connector designs of all time. I wish all cables were like that.

There are plenty of hands free systems that use 30-pin. That aside, these same rich guys also had Bose systems with iPod dock connectors on them, multitudes of charging cables etc. Also, people don't like being forced to pay artificially inflated prices for products just because a company tells them to bend over. You tick off your customers, they jump ship. I know a lot of people who switched to Android when the iPhone 5 came out specifically because they did not want to have to buy all new cables at outrageous prices.

You can buy microUSB charging cables on eBay for $0.01 each. They work fine. Lightning offers nothing that was not offered by other, better solutions, aside from "idiot proofness" of its reversible connector. I'm not against adding a lightning port to the phone, but you should offer an option for people who need 100% compatibility with the existing hardware ecosystem.

And it's not 99% approval... read the reviews on store.apple.com. The vast majority of people who reviewed the Lightning cable gave it 1-star. It's one of the lowest-rated products that Apple makes. Many people have a problem with this. You are living in a dream world.

The mentality of ignorance that people like you exhibit is the same mentality that is leading this company down. It's the mentality that makes people ignore customers with valid concerns. I did not need a phone that was thinner than the iPhone 4S. It was already plenty thin enough. I needed a phone that would work with all my existing stuff. It doesn't, and I would have to spend $150+ to replace all my old cables AND have to keep track of an 0.2m cable to use my various iRig accessories and Line 6 keyboard (which is not an 8-track, it was purchased in December).

Can you name even ONE demonstrable advantage of Lightning besides that it's smaller and the reversible connector? It wasn't any faster to sync my phone to my computer over Lightning, since Lightning doesn't support USB 3.0. Other than speed I can't think of anything that would be enhanced by it.

wepiii

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2012
Lightning clicks into the port but does not LOCK into the port. The 30-pin connector is capable of having cables that physically LOCK in place, requiring the connector to be squeezed from the sides in order to disconnect it. This is hugely important in performance where you might be moving around. When something comes unplugged, it's a huge hassle. It's why XLR mic cables have a locking mechanism. That's one of the best connector designs of all time. I wish all cables were like that.

There are plenty of hands free systems that use 30-pin. That aside, these same rich guys also had Bose systems with iPod dock connectors on them, multitudes of charging cables etc. Also, people don't like being forced to pay artificially inflated prices for products just because a company tells them to bend over. You tick off your customers, they jump ship. I know a lot of people who switched to Android when the iPhone 5 came out specifically because they did not want to have to buy all new cables at outrageous prices.

You can buy microUSB charging cables on eBay for $0.01 each. They work fine. Lightning offers nothing that was not offered by other, better solutions, aside from "idiot proofness" of its reversible connector. I'm not against adding a lightning port to the phone, but you should offer an option for people who need 100% compatibility with the existing hardware ecosystem.

And it's not 99% approval... read the reviews on store.apple.com. The vast majority of people who reviewed the Lightning cable gave it 1-star. It's one of the lowest-rated products that Apple makes. Many people have a problem with this. You are living in a dream world.

The mentality of ignorance that people like you exhibit is the same mentality that is leading this company down. It's the mentality that makes people ignore customers with valid concerns. I did not need a phone that was thinner than the iPhone 4S. It was already plenty thin enough. I needed a phone that would work with all my existing stuff. It doesn't, and I would have to spend $150+ to replace all my old cables AND have to keep track of an 0.2m cable to use my various iRig accessories and Line 6 keyboard (which is not an 8-track, it was purchased in December).

Can you name even ONE demonstrable advantage of Lightning besides that it's smaller and the reversible connector? It wasn't any faster to sync my phone to my computer over Lightning, since Lightning doesn't support USB 3.0. Other than speed I can't think of anything that would be enhanced by it.

Yes, you are right. Apples stock price dropped because "rich guys" were mad that they couldn't change the song from the steering wheel of their $50k car. But these same "rich" guys were absolutely appalled by the $29 sticker price of the adapter, so they unloaded all of their stocks. Additionally, I agree that the stock price dropped further because Apple didn't make the phone with "Performers" in mind and instead foolishly made it capable of becoming increasingly smaller, flatter, and lighter in the future following the current trend in electronics and ironically enough, the rest of their product line.

Seriously though... Can you do anything for me about the 8Tracks?

----------

Really? We're really still feeding this guy?

4am where I am. Nothing better to do.

Actually I'm just really hoping this thread is still around in a few years so I can have a good laugh

darkgoob

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 16, 2008
I am not going to even attempt to list all the problems with this thought process.

Good, because it would be impossible as there is no way to disprove my hypothesis. I love my iPhone 5S, but this isn't like when iMac got rid of the floppy disk, or when the Retina MBP got rid of DVD.

I used 30-pin stuff multiple times per day, nearly every day. In my car, at home, at work, on the bus. Having to bring this 0.2m adapter everywhere is going to be hugely annoying. If they cost $4.99, which is what they should cost, I might just buy $40 worth of them, or even more. But at $40 each, which is ridiculous and unjustifiable, I'm greatly inconvenienced as a customer of Apple, and I'm not alone judging from the reviews on store.apple.com. I'm the majority.

Go ahead and try to defend this practice, I don't think you really can. It's the same thing Sony got criticized for doing so much over the years with their stupid proprietary memory card slot, "Memory Stick." Nobody liked that. Finally they caved and put a regular SD card slot on their devices.

But oh, because Apple did it, then it must be a forward-looking great idea! Right. 30-pin was already a proprietary standard; everyone was already on board with this. Apple saw the opportunity to make a new standard with anti-third-party chips, forcing its customers to pay out the a**.

Now they're doing this approach with the new Mac Pro, and its non-standard graphics card slots, and forcing people to buy Firewire-to-Thunderbolt adapters. At least they didn't make it use proprietary RAM. I'm sure you'll be ready to defend Apple's decision to get rid of internal drives and standard PCIe slots right? Sigh.

wepiii

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2012
Good, because it would be impossible as there is no way to disprove my hypothesis. I love my iPhone 5S, but this isn't like when iMac got rid of the floppy disk, or when the Retina MBP got rid of DVD.

I used 30-pin stuff multiple times per day, nearly every day. In my car, at home, at work, on the bus. Having to bring this 0.2m adapter everywhere is going to be hugely annoying. If they cost $4.99, which is what they should cost, I might just buy $40 worth of them, or even more. But at $40 each, which is ridiculous and unjustifiable, I'm greatly inconvenienced as a customer of Apple, and I'm not alone judging from the reviews on store.apple.com. I'm the majority.

Go ahead and try to defend this practice, I don't think you really can. It's the same thing Sony got criticized for doing so much over the years with their stupid proprietary memory card slot, "Memory Stick." Nobody liked that. Finally they caved and put a regular SD card slot on their devices.

But oh, because Apple did it, then it must be a forward-looking great idea! Right. 30-pin was already a proprietary standard; everyone was already on board with this. Apple saw the opportunity to make a new standard with anti-third-party chips, forcing its customers to pay out the a**.

Now they're doing this approach with the new Mac Pro, and its non-standard graphics card slots, and forcing people to buy Firewire-to-Thunderbolt adapters. At least they didn't make it use proprietary RAM. I'm sure you'll be ready to defend Apple's decision to get rid of internal drives and standard PCIe slots right? Sigh.

Seriously, Apple is not forcing anyone to buy anything.... Put all your apple **** up on ebay and go replace it with Android stuff. Problem solved right?

Post about how Android won't work for you either coming in 3....2....1

darkgoob

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 16, 2008
Yes, you are right. Apples stock price dropped because "rich guys" were mad that they couldn't change the song from the steering wheel of their $50k car. But these same "rich" guys were absolutely appalled by the $29 sticker price of the adapter, so they unloaded all of their stocks. Additionally, I agree that the stock price dropped further because Apple didn't make the phone with "Performers" in mind and instead foolishly made it capable of becoming increasingly smaller, flatter, and lighter in the future following the current trend in electronics and ironically enough, the rest of their product line.

Seriously though... Can you do anything for me about the 8Tracks?

You didn't know..?

You could not even get the Lightning-to-30-pin adapters when the iPhone 5 launched. They simply were not available yet. Not for $29, not for $29,000.

People had to wait a month to get it. The stock had already dropped $70 by the time the Lightning adapters finally shipped.

darkgoob

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 16, 2008
Seriously, Apple is not forcing anyone to buy anything.... Put all your apple **** up on ebay and go replace it with Android stuff. Problem solved right?

Post about how Android won't work for you either coming in 3....2....1

That's my point. That's why Apple's stock went down when the iPhone 5 shipped and people realized all their stuff wasn't going to work with it anyway, and Apple wanted to charge $29-39 for each adapter to make it work. People suddenly realized, "Oh, so this upgrade is actually going to cost me... how much? Forget it." And returned their phones and got Galaxy S3's, or whatever else.

I would never switch because Android is a piece of crap. You cannot find a single decent synthesizer app for Android that has low enough latency to be used in performance. I've been an Apple customer since 1984, and own 20+ Macs. I'm just ticked about this particular issue of Apple's. I hate to see them make blunders and shaft customers in some way.

Everyone knows Apple over-charges for RAM, so those of us who know better just buy 3rd-party RAM. How would you feel if Apple started putting DRM chips in its RAM so you were FORCED to buy it from Apple only? I doubt you'd be happy. How is the price gouging on Lightning cables and adapters any different?

I love Apple and that's why I care when they do stuff like this. You will not find me on Microsoft-related forums complaining about BSODs, errors in the registry, and bugs in sysprep. Why? Because I am not a big fan of Microsoft, and I could care less if their products have tons of problems and they make bad business moves.

wepiii

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2012
You didn't know..?

You could not even get the Lightning-to-30-pin adapters when the iPhone 5 launched. They simply were not available yet. Not for $29, not for $29,000.

People had to wait a month to get it. The stock had already dropped $70 by the time the Lightning adapters finally shipped.

That's so weird because I purchased 3 alongside my i5 for $29 a piece. Was I pumped about it? No. Just like I wasn't pumped when Blu-Ray came out. But it is what it is. Got to pay to play. You honestly think Android will be using Micro USB forever? Things change, if they didn't we would all still be living in the Stone Age. Other than USB, who else has ever done what you are suggesting? My first sony portable CD player certainly didn't have a slot on the back for my cassettes...

evan3168

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2012
Virginia
It's why XLR mic cables have a locking mechanism. That's one of the best connector designs of all time. I wish all cables were like that.

I love XLR cables too, but not even Micro USB has this -- which you keep referring to as a standard you like.

Which is totally legit. One thing companies can do is get you into their ecosystem. Apple took a risk introducing lightning as it offered people a chance to leave their 30-pin dock (hardware) ecosystem without penalty. Before Lightning, they would've had to pay for all new cables and hardware to switch to Android -- after lightning they would've had to do that anyway. I'm sure many of the people who switched were thinking of switching or considering it and this gave them their out. And it's totally in their right to do that.

That said these rich guys you're referring to, if they like Apple, probably aren't going to leave because they have to buy a few new cables. Many Apple customers can afford them and are aware there is a premium for Apple products.

Did the Lightning update break your iPhone 4S? Or any of the equipment you use with the iPhone 4S? That stuff will continue to work and, as Lightning gains more market share, updated versions of that equipment you have will begin to emerge.

The majority of people who buy an iPhone aren't going to take the time to go leave a review about a cable. I'm not saying the 1-star reviews are irrelevant, but they aren't as relevant as you imply they are.

I did not need a phone that was thinner than the iPhone 4S. It was already plenty thin enough. I needed a phone that would work with all my existing stuff.

Sounds like you had one called the iPhone 4S which they still make. I am upgrading from a 4S also and it's still a great phone. If it works better for you and for your performing and equipment, you should keep it. In a year, maybe the market for Lightning accessories will have matured further.

I know it sucks to be left out with the latest and greatest, but it sounds like you're putting your priorities on this dock connector, so you shouldn't upgrade.

Not USB 3 yet, but as I mentioned above, Apple likely has an internal roadmap built into the technology that gives them more room for advancement than the dock connector had.

We all wish that we didn't have to swap out cables, but I think for most people it's a minor inconvenience. Eventually I'll build up a new stockpile of cables.

I consider myself pretty tech-savvy and I don't encounter many situations in which the dock connector is necessary. Most of the time a USB port is what is needed. Bluetooth is quickly becoming much more de facto. Between myself and my friends with iPhones, I'd say this is pretty average.

darkgoob

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 16, 2008
That's so weird because I purchased 3 alongside my i5 for $29 a piece. Was I pumped about it? No. Just like I wasn't pumped when Blu-Ray came out. But it is what it is. Got to pay to play. You honestly think Android will be using Micro USB forever? Things change, if they didn't we would all still be living in the Stone Age. Other than USB, who else has ever done what you are suggesting? My first sony portable CD player certainly didn't have a slot on the back for my cassettes...

When did you purchase your iPhone 5?

darkgoob

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 16, 2008
I love XLR cables too, but not even Micro USB has this -- which you keep referring to as a standard you like.

Which is totally legit. One thing companies can do is get you into their ecosystem. Apple took a risk introducing lightning as it offered people a chance to leave their 30-pin dock (hardware) ecosystem without penalty. Before Lightning, they would've had to pay for all new cables and hardware to switch to Android -- after lightning they would've had to do that anyway. I'm sure many of the people who switched were thinking of switching or considering it and this gave them their out. And it's totally in their right to do that.

I can't disagree with this. But you can see from this why their stock price took a hit, and why so many people are switching to Android. Apple favored a gimmicky new port, with almost no demonstrable advantages besides something nobody was asking for (thinner phones) over supporting its customer base and manufacturer base.

That said these rich guys you're referring to, if they like Apple, probably aren't going to leave because they have to buy a few new cables. Many Apple customers can afford them and are aware there is a premium for Apple products.

These rich guys are people who care about making money, which is why they're rich by and large. When they see Apple making blunders they devalue the stock. When the blunder personally affects their everyday life, they will notice it a lot easier. This was an example of that.

You didn't have to explain to people about this, they'd already personally experienced it and been annoyed by it.

Did the Lightning update break your iPhone 4S? Or any of the equipment you use with the iPhone 4S? That stuff will continue to work and, as Lightning gains more market share, updated versions of that equipment you have will begin to emerge.

As I already said above, I have already upgraded my phone to an iPhone 5S. The 4S has been wiped and is on eBay already. I can't afford not to sell it. I'm just annoyed at the fact that Apple would shaft its customer base and accessory manufacturers alike. If they had stuck with 30-pin and made slightly thicker phones, and I was on here suggesting they switch to a new cable, you'd be ripping me a new one and telling me how bad an idea that would be.

The majority of people who buy an iPhone aren't going to take the time to go leave a review about a cable. I'm not saying the 1-star reviews are irrelevant, but they aren't as relevant as you imply they are.

Downplaying customer feedback is never good. The truth is you're lucky those 500 people did take that time, because very few people who have a bad experience ever stick around to leave a review. Usually they just never come back -- you just lost that customer forever.

In a market this competitive, Apple needs to NOT be losing customers. It needs to be concerned about keeping customers happy and catering to their needs. People pay a lot more to be in the Apple camp as it is. The reason why, is because we've come to expect hassle-free products and great customer service. Well, anytime there's something Apple does that deviates from this, I'll certainly let it be known, and I'd hope any of you would do the same.

Like for awhile they didn't have security guards at their stores. People were stealing stuff left and right. I wrote them a pretty scathing letter about that one. As a stockholder it did not make me happy to see people stealing product and walking out without anyone so much as asking to see a receipt!

Sounds like you had one called the iPhone 4S which they still make. I am upgrading from a 4S also and it's still a great phone. If it works better for you and for your performing and equipment, you should keep it. In a year, maybe the market for Lightning accessories will have matured further.

I know it sucks to be left out with the latest and greatest, but it sounds like you're putting your priorities on this dock connector, so you shouldn't upgrade.

I already did upgrade. I also develop apps and I need the 5S to test certain things on. So I have to live with these annoyances. That's why it ticks me off.

Not USB 3 yet, but as I mentioned above, Apple likely has an internal roadmap built into the technology that gives them more room for advancement than the dock connector had.

We all wish that we didn't have to swap out cables, but I think for most people it's a minor inconvenience. Eventually I'll build up a new stockpile of cables.

I consider myself pretty tech-savvy and I don't encounter many situations in which the dock connector is necessary. Most of the time a USB port is what is needed. Bluetooth is quickly becoming much more de facto. Between myself and my friends with iPhones, I'd say this is pretty average.

Indeed these are "first world problems". Anyway I am off to sleep. Perhaps Apple's stock price will finally recover once enough people have forgotten about the fact there used to be said hardware ecosystem. Though I think it's sad, because said hardware ecosystem was awesome. I guess we'll find out if these manufacturers felt burned or if they are willing to make future versions that are Lightning-equipped instead.

----------

Launch Day. Lenox Mall Atlanta, GA

That's odd because a lot of people reported online (go back and google for yourself) that these adapters did not ship until October.

Perhaps they had a small initial quantity that evaporated quickly. Kind of like the Gold iPhone 5S. Another thing that Wall Street will not reward them for having so few of.

afd

macrumors 65816
Apr 12, 2005
Scotland
I think OP is getting too much of a hard time. Should Apple make a 30 pin 5S? No. Should Apple have done lightning better? Yes.
The adapter should fit the new case. I was thinking of getting one for my 5, but wasn't sure it would fit in my Brodit dock in my car which uses lightning to 30 pin cable. Now I know not to get one. The video out and iPod out should have been done better too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.