There Should be a Subforum for iPhone Complaints

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by jw nyc, Jun 28, 2010.

1. jw nyc macrumors 6502a

This is becoming insane and there is basically no normal thread in this section. Every thread is about another iPhone complaint. Would the mods consider making a subforum under iPhone where all complaining can go? I'm sure it would have more hits than the main iPhone section!

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

There is already, Wasteland :p But seriously, I like this idea. iPhone forum is flooded anyway, so by making an own forum for "Why I'm not buying iPhone 4" and "Iph0ne 5uc3sss". There are so many iPhone related forum though so it might be just confusing but I'm still giving my vote for this

3. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

4. iOrlando macrumors 68000

you actually think the trolls would search for the particular thread to complain?

this is just a normal thing that you have to get use to when new products are released. give it a week or two. it will die down and eventually go away.

5. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Normally I would agree with that but in this case I don't think it's going to go away. I wish it would for Apple's sake but...

6. bartelby macrumors Core

I think that's the best suggestion.

7. iOrlando macrumors 68000

i've already noticed it getting better. soon the complainers will just get tired of saying the same thing. if they dont like the situation they can return the phone. not a big deal.

8. LimeyBastard macrumors regular

A lot of the complaining is more about getting attention than making valid and constructive points. If you section off the complainer threads, the posters are not going to be able to get the attention they crave by being contrarian and "controversial." As a result, they'll just start finding ways to spill out into the normal forums because that's where they'll stir up the most heat.

Best way to deal with the problem is to just ignore them when they're screaming and they'll eventually learn that tantrums won't get them the attention they want. :p

9. spamdumpster macrumors 6502a

Hey Mods, Separate Forum for iPhone Complaints?

The excessive complaining regarding the iPhone 4 is super annoying and, as a result, I find myself clicking on these forums a lot less frequently. There are tons of trolls starting and posting in threads regarding issues with the phone, rumors regarding free bumpers, recalls, etc. Even non-troll users are, in my opinion, getting carried away with all of the apple and iPhone hating.

I sympathize with those having legit problems with their devices, but it's hard to understand the real extent of the issues with all of the noise out there. Consequently, those of us who have good advice to offer are having problems hooking up with people with legit problems.

2 suggestions:

(1) Start moving posts from the general iPhone discussion forum to the troubleshooting forum, and enforce this rule going forward.

(2) create a separate forum for threads that are just complaining and not advancing the ball any.

Thanks for reading,
    Joe / Spamdumpster

10. BeyondtheTech macrumors 68020

BeyondtheTech

LOL, I can see the forum's future now...

- Mac Forums
    --- iPhone, iPod and iPad
    ----- iPhone
    -------- iPhone Accessories
    -------- iPhone Hacking
    -------- iPhone Whining

Welcome to the iPhone Whining forum! Please don't search before posting, multiple threads on the same subject keep this forum active and exciting (obvious exception: please use EVO 4G sucker: as a prefix for your thread subject where applicable).

11. paulisme macrumors 6502

I agree. I'm sick of what this forum has become. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of people who aren't having any problems have left, leaving mostly the ones who want to complain all the time and making the problem seem even bigger than it is. I'd like to see the iPhone whining moved to its own forum, or maybe we even need a "non-troubleshooting" subforum for those of us who just want to talk about the iPhone and just cede the current forum to the whiners.

12. thornguy macrumors regular

Good idea, I like reading up on the issues, if there is anything new, but I think positive information and people with general questions is getting lost in the muck

13. FlyingScot macrumors member

FlyingScot

Please make a separate forum...

I'm a limited poster but have been on here for a few years. The constant childish threads makes it hard to find real issues, much less the "positive" content and assistance we all look to this forum for...

I happen to have an I4 and have noted no real issues. But then again, I don't expect a magical device - just a good portable device/phone. So yeah, getting old...

14. br0adband macrumors 6502a

br0adband

If there's a subforum created for people having issues, to chastise and segregate them, then I'd suggest there should also be a subforum created for people that constantly praise Apple and the ground Steve Jobs walks on so we can bash and target them, conversely.

Seems only fair, I'd say.

15. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

Every iPhone-issue related post draws in the Android fanboys which then starts the stupid iPhone vs. Android pissing contest. It also draws in people who say things like "Steve should have died from cancer so this wouldn't have happened" and other comments like that.

So, I too agree that there should be a "b***hing" board. People with gripes and not specific issues can post there and the Android circle-jerk and Apple hatefest can go on and not pollute the boards I like to frequent.

16. Givmeabrek macrumors 68040

Givmeabrek

Great idea, maybe even dump trolls in there too.

Bitching, Whining, and Trolling - Duplicate Threads Welcome :eek:

17. spamdumpster macrumors 6502a

I agree with this, although this hasn't been much of a problem since June 24.

18. smithrh macrumors 68020

smithrh

What about iPhone issues? Do you want those segregated away as well?

Yes, I'm tired of the complaining as well, but at the root of most complaints are real issues.

Give it a week, it will have died down by then.

19. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

It’s too bad that many members would rather respond to these trolls and troublemakers, rather than use reporting as an option. However, that’s exactly what we need, more reporting and less responding.

Ignore him. He’s actually one of the problems in this forum, who takes every opportunity to make a complaint, even when the thread has nothing to do with his complaint (we have a number of those types in these threads). We all know his iPhone doesn’t work when you touch it. However, what makes no sense is that even if Apple was to fix this issue for him, he’s said he’s still returning it. IMO, he’s about as extreme on the anti-Apple spectrum as the fanboys he’s always talking about.

As far as the original OP goes: I doubt it would matter. Members would still post in the iPhone only forum. Mods would have to clean it all up and move it to this special forum. Mods already have the daunting task of somehow getting all these repeated posts merged. I think they’re overwhelmed TTYTT, so it would really help if people reported the posts and then didn’t post in them. I’m dreaming though.

20. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Let's not ignore the white elephant in the room. Just delete all new members from say, May 2010 forward. :eek: :D

21. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

You know how iTunes has smart playlists? Wouldn't it be great if MR had smart ignore lists?

IF ((Status = "newbie") AND (JoinDate >=01May2010) AND (PostingRate > 10 per hour)) OR (AlreadyIgnoredBy10PercentOfUsers)) THEN IGNORE

Bet we'd have a whole thread devoted to swapping laser-focused ignore lists :)

22. aristobrat macrumors G5

If not separate forums, how about a mega-thread?

Every time someone starts a new thread saying the same thing, just add it to the end of mega-thread.

23. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

This would be SUPER welcome!!! I would love to see a separate forum. The constant iPhone 4 crying really is ruining Mac Rumors. (At least the iPhone thread).

I'm not saying there aren't people with issues but geeze, return the phone and get a replacement instead of clogging up Mac Rumors. Easy.

24. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

This would be ****ing awesome. :D

25. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Dear MR / Arn, Please make it so!