There will be a new iPhone released at WWDC 2011

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by adamvk, Jun 2, 2011.

?

Will there be a new iPhone released at WWDC 2011?

1. Yes

113 vote(s)
    29.4%
  2. No

271 vote(s)
    70.6%
  1. adamvk macrumors 65816

adamvk

There will be a new iPhone released at WWDC 2011. Yes, or no? What do you think?

I personally think so. The iPhone 4's hardware is really lacking at the moment. If one doesn't come out, I am getting the HD7S. I'm sick of waiting.

2. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

All the rumors are pointing to more of a software based event. It is World Wide Developer Conference after all.

3. stuffradio macrumors 65816

No, I see a future event being dedicated to an iPhone 4s or iPhone 5 and it will be released in the future sometime between Fall and Spring next year.

4. dave420 macrumors 65816

I think there will be a new phone, though maybe not a huge upgrade. I wouldn't think Apple would want to disappoint all the customers who are waiting to throw money at them for a new phone. But if they need more time to get the next model ready, then I am all for them waiting.

5. NCBandit macrumors newbie

T-Mobile

Could be the announcement of T-Mobile getting the iPhone - does that count? :D

6. Centient macrumors 6502

That would count, though I'm not sure Jobs would be the one to announce something like that. Unless it's going to have some upgraded features and be available to all carriers.

7. wingnut8 macrumors 65816

wingnut8

It's been the World Wide Developer Conference for the last 3 years as well and that didn't stop them.

8. Sherifftruman macrumors 6502

I'm going with no, if only because Apple might want to shake things up a little to keep people guessing about future events and break the must release every 12 months cycle that if they let keep going much longer will get them hammered on Wall Street once they do break it.

9. camarobh macrumors 6502

You are "sick of waiting"? WWDC hasn't even happened yet.

10. fkhan3 macrumors 6502

I think it will be mostly software focused with iOS5, lion, and iCloud. Apple will probably reserve iPhone announcement closer to its release date, which at present looks like it will be around September.

11. adamvk thread starter macrumors 65816

adamvk

Well that's true. Last summer when the iPhone 4 came out, I personally thought it was BUTT ugly at first. Eventually I came to like the design, but not for a little bit. I had an upgrade at that point, so I bought a Samsung Captivate (Android.) The Captivate is a buggy pos. So I've been regretting not getting an iPhone for a long time, but I also didn't want to buy an iPhone 4 if a new one was around the corner. So I'm buying the HTC HD7s (Release date June 5 AT&T) if a new iPhone doesn't come out.

12. Baggy Spandex macrumors 6502

Baggy Spandex

If OSX Lion is the first product Apple features on Monday, there's a better chance. It would be nice for them to close the show with iOS 5 and the "one more thing" to be "what a better device to run it on than...".

13. ozzyman500 macrumors 65816

Have we heard ANY evidence of a new phone yet?

14. nutmac macrumors 68040

How is HD7S less lacking, hardware wise?

HD7S is bulkier (thicker, wider, taller, heavier), has lower resolution display, and on par with just about everything.

15. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

So do you think this new iPhone will ship with iOS 4?

Or do you think they just won't give developers more than 2 weeks to play with 5 before it comes out?

16. Baggy Spandex macrumors 6502

Baggy Spandex

No, and you likely won't even when the time comes.

17. Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

Absolutely not.

Why? Lets break it down:

1. No leaks of parts, no solid rumors on the next iPhone (lots of conflicting ones).
    2. Apple usually releases an iOS beta before launching the next iPhone that it is optimized for. They aren't going to punish developers by releasing the iOS 5 beta and launching the iPhone 5 with iOS 4. Makes no sense.
    3. WWDC's focus is on Mac OS X and iOS.

I'd prefer a well designed iPhone (curved back similar to 3GS, bigger screen, better antenna, etc.) in September. Than a rushed upgrade with a faster processor and better camera, in WWDC.

18. iostehk macrumors member

iostehk

Perfect

19. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Would anyone care? :D

No iPhone for this WWDC, which is unfortunate. There just haven’t been any rumors out there supporting anything in that regard for this WWDC. I’d love to be wrong.

20. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

No. There's been no Gizmodo leaked unit, for a start.

21. quietstormSD macrumors 6502a

quietstormSD

I really hope so.. but I doubt it. Probably will be September. If Apple doesn't release an update next week though I believe it will probably hurt Apple. Especially with all the new Android and Windows phone 7 devices coming out with there killer hardware.

22. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

I think the lack of leaked parts is probably Apple tightening security. Jobs was pissed last year when the 4 was known to the public before he got to show it off on stage last year.

The fact that iOS 5 won't be ready is really not too concerning; I think if Apple were to launch a new iPhone, it would still ship with iOS 4 because as time goes on it becomes more prudent for Apple to decouple the phone and OS release times. With the software now running on 3 distinct product lines, and potentially more in the future, it makes less and less sense to make the OS release alongside a phone.

However, I don't know if WWDC will bring an iPhone update. Even if there was one, it would be a modest bump at best I think. Apple likes the 4's design, so they'll probably try to get as much out of it as they can. I'd say it's a 50/50 shot right now, but I can say that it would be a mistake to not update the phone by the end of July (at the latest). The mobile market moves too quickly for Apple to try to force its own time scale on customers. Some people might be willing to waiting months for an iPhone, but most probably won't. When other models offer bigger screens, more options, and up-to-date features, who can blame them?

23. film major macrumors member

I totally agree. Apple might not announce a new phone at WWDC but it has to be soon. Android and Widows phones are coming out now that have better specs that the year old iPhone4 (I know some still disagree about that but I think its true).

24. pyro008 macrumors 6502

2 is the only near legitimate reason you're using. I don't understand how 3 months is the difference between a "well designed" iphone and a "rushed upgrade" when they've had a whole year to design it. If they are still making changes that major to it now, I think you better hope for a 2012 release instead of September.
    Right. Thats a great indicator of whether they're releasing a new iphone or not.

25. iMJustAGuy macrumors 68020

iMJustAGuy

Was just about to post this, :D.