There will NOT be an iPad Mini

Discussion in 'iPad' started by freudling, Jul 8, 2012.

1. freudling macrumors regular

Can everyone just stop with this rumour? This has become one of the worst, overhyped Apple rumours I've ever seen.

First, the sources for these rumours are crap: often times it's some Chinese publication putting it out.

Second, the size will be a waste. Jobs is right, 7" tablets are tweeners. They generally suck for content. Smartphones are now so useful you really need a compelling reason to drop the handheld for a tablet. The iPad is just big enough to justify its existence in this respect. There's no way Apple is going to release it for this reason... In other words, it's a dead category. The only reason this stuff gets perpetuated is because of link whores and Apple's ever present disinformation machine.

"Keep em' guessing; distract them; thwart their offensive efforts; cause confusion..."

2. Fattytail macrumors 6502a

So you're saying major publications like Bloomberg are just pulling this out of thin air? OK.

Not saying there will be an iPad Mini for sure, but where there's smoke there's fire. Clearly there is SOMETHING in the works that's about 7-8" in screen size. Whether or not it's an iPad Mini remains to be seen.

3. jojoba macrumors 68000

Well, this statement is clearly empirically incorrect. A lot of posters here, including those who currently own an iPad and/or iPhone, have said that they would like to get a 'mini' if it is indeed produced.

4. freudling thread starter macrumors regular

Tablets are my business. Multi-touch, colour 7" tablets have failed in the market. There isn't even any discussion about it, it's a fact.

The only ones who've had modest success have been the Nook Color and the Kindle Fire. However, both of these latter had sales initially during momentum from all of their marketing... sales quickly plummeted off of a cliff.

Your next reply is: the tablet market failed before Apple entered it. So now we have tweeners... Apple will be able to make tweeners sell, too. They'll figure it out.

Sure, that's great, but the reality is smartphones with super high res screens allow the full internet in your pocket with one handed holding. A 7" screen isn't that big enough of a jump in screen size over a smartphone to compel users to ditch their phones for it during x tasks. And content actually looks a bit weird on that screen size. With the iPad you don't even really have a big enough screen to compete with an 8.5"x11" piece of paper. Think about that for a few minutes.

In other words, 7" is simply the wrong form factor and is a dead product category. Nobody needs it but a select few diehard readers. It's niche, big time.

I bet Apple doesn't touch it. If they do, they're dumb. It'll be the biggest mistake Tim Cook will make, and people will be calling for his head after it's all over.

Please note that the more tablets in the world the better my business. I'm objective though... 7" tablets simply suck for content.

Now you're reply is: well then how can a 3.5" screen be good for content? Well, the Web looks fantastic on the iPhone. The one handed holding and gesturing around the Web is second to none.

With a tweener, there is no one handed holding and using it for starters. The device is hopelessly awkward compared to the smaller iPhone. Yet, the content... like the Web, looks in many ways worse than it does on the iPhone. It's the most odd size that mobile sites don't look good and fullsize sites don't look good. You can customize content just for the 7" screen but it still isn't nice enough in many respects to ditch the smartphone in favour of it.

And then there's all kinds of things that just suck on them like the keyboard: it's the oddest size of anything. You can't one hand hold and type. The keys are between the size of an iPhone and an iPad.

Everything pretty much looks and behaves like crap on them.

5. tekno macrumors 6502a

So you work in a shop selling computers?

6. shortcrust macrumors 6502

Why not just wait and see? No point getting all stressed about rumours.:)

7. Hello... macrumors 6502a

Hello...

Agreed, something is coming out hey OP take a look at the name of this site. Yeah.

8. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

So once it comes out I'm gonna come back to this thread and trololol?

9. Crazy Badger macrumors 65816

Crazy Badger

Maybe it's the new iPhone, given lots of people are moving to Android if it doesn't have a bigger screen :D

You see :apple: is listening to its customers!

10. bmcgrath macrumors 65816

bmcgrath

I think you need to take the stick out of your a..

11. lannisters4life macrumors 6502

If I had a nickel/cricket bat for every time I've heard this...

12. lamiafarjana macrumors newbie

Ipad Mini is Needed

There is need for 7 inch iPad if apple wants to stay on top of tablet market for a more long time. There is very likely possibility that Nexus 7, windows tablet gonna beat apple being top tablet maker.
    And, ipad is costly. I cant afford ipad, let alone iphone. So, when i heard rumor about ipad mini, i was really happy...
    People like us need a low cost ipad very much.

13. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

You know, this site is called macrumours for a reason...;)

14. Doylem macrumors 68040

Doylem

What I say will happen, will happen. Fact. And I bothered to start a new thread in an online forum just to let you know...

15. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

To the people who do not think there will be a 7" model.

Over time, how much do you feel the screen size will vary from its current size?

Either with one or more than one model of tablet from Apple?

16. jojoba macrumors 68000

This is all your subjective blah blah. You can't expect that people will take it as truth and agree with you. Sorry to disappoint.

17. Markdek macrumors member

Apple will not try and compete in the $199 price point (that would be silly); but they will in the 7" to 8" ecosystem. And, there is really NO competition w/ ios Apps (ask any android/ios app developer).

My prediction is a 7"-8" ipad, @ around $349.

I think there has been sufficient "supplier" rumors to substantiat that there will be a smaller iPad before the end of 2012.

18. TonyK macrumors 6502a

TonyK

If the iPhone 5 rumors are to be believed it will be about 5". Then the iPad mini comes in at 7 or 7.85". Finally the iPad itself at about 10".

People who buy the 5" iPhone won't get real benefit, I believe, from a 7" ish iPad but could with the 10" iPad. Those who have the 10" iPad would probably askew a smaller version as well. So what is the market Apple is hoping to penetrate with a iPad mini?

People who buy the Nook or Fire do so mainly to read books. At this time the Apple book store is not as full featured as either B&N or Amazon. If one hacks these smaller tablets it is possible to install other applications, but the devices are not built really to handle too much more than reading books and simple browsing. Look at battery life when doing more than just reading.

As far as Bloomberg and others, they are all quoting the same rumor sites.

19. Buckeyestar macrumors 6502a

Buckeyestar

You're ignoring the fact the the reason 7" tablets have had no success in the market is because NO tablet other than the iPad has had much success in the market, 7" or otherwise.

The bottom line is that you don't want a 7" iPad and feel that means that we shouldn't either. Thanks, but I can think and speak for myself.

20. cdmoore74 macrumors 68020

I honestly believe that iPad 3 sales are not doing good in comparison to the iPad 2. The market is saturated with millions of iPad 9.7 inch models and the iPad 3 is not a mandatory upgrade if you have a iPad 2. Yes, iPad's are still beating Android tablets hands down but your competing against your own sales figures. Apple (or Apple fanbois) will not admit lost sales from the Kindle Fire or Nexus 7 even though their not in direct competition. Their going to release a 7 inch product first before they admit that smaller tablets are slowing iPad sales.
    Apple must release a smaller cheaper tablet because ultimately high quality cheap tablets will sale. Wouldn't anyone buy Honda quality at Kia prices? And I don't get all this hostility towards Apple releasing a smaller tablet. Fragmentation would be non existent if they shrink down the iPad 2. It's a win for consumers and a win for developers. The only party that will be hurt by this will be Apple; they just won't make the same profit on each unit sold.

21. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

OK, here's my carefully thought out and well considered response...

WANNA BET!!??:D

22. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

Who cares what you honestly believe, when your beliefs aren't based on anything concrete? Do some research and back it up or stop making unsubstantiated claims.

23. phpmaven macrumors 68040

phpmaven

Excuse me? "The web looks great on the iPhone"? You gotta be kidding. The screen may be high resolution but it's ridiculously dinky by current standards and is barely usable for the web, IMHO.

24. iEvolution macrumors 65816

It's not the size of the tablet it's because the competition has hardly any tablet optimized apps, android is a mess and just has everything mixed together.. Whether it is optimized for a 3 inch screen or a 10 inch tablet they are all mixed together and there isn't many apps that take advantage of the extra screen real estate tablets offer.

Kindle fire isn't as hot as it once was because full fledged tablets have come down in price and the 200 price tag isn't as compelling when you can get a tablet with x2 the specs for 100 more. Plus their app market has been extremely slow to develop and is missing a lot of apps that full android tablets can run.

Screen size is likely playing very little of a role in the "failing" of the market.

The fact you say everything runs like crap on them is proof you've never used one before or even know what you're talking about. Screen size has absolutely no role in how they run.

Amazing to me you have such a smug elitist attitude when you clearly have no clue what you are talking about.

25. Kolmogorov macrumors member

Once iPad mini is out, you will just claim: Apple is dead...