Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012
It's hard to justify the extra cost on the 5.5 for me for what I'll get from it, but the fact that you'll have "plus" owners no doubt looking down their noses at the regular 6 people is daft if that happens. Just get the one that YOU want and YOU are happy with. That's all that matters IMO.
I have never met a person that does this. If a consumer buys what others think is the best and not what's best for him then he is an idiot. Simple.

LadyX

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 4, 2012
There's nothing wrong with the iPhone 6 (4.7) ... Right?

My reasons are unique to my personal and professional intended uses for the new phone, and I don't believe that people who later decide to opt for one product over another are brainwashed, fanboys/girls who fell for Apple's marketing spin.

No doubt it was a hard decision to make. You reasoned with yourself and decided the 5.5 is best for you. I'm pretty sure most will do the same but there are also a lot who will blindly get the Plus. Apple's marketing is very clever.

----------

I have never met a person that does this. If a consumer buys what others think is the best and not what's best for him then he is an idiot. Simple.

Does what exactly? Looking down?

phositadc

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2012
As soon as you've had the bigger screen for 2 weeks, you'll curse Apple for not having done this 2 years ago.

Speak for yourself. I've had several large androids and I always go back to my iPhone 5s because of its size--one handed use is just so easy. Even the 4.7 iPhone is going to make one handed use more difficult....

mnemonix

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2005
When the iPhone 4 came out it was perfect for it's time. But now an iPhone is so much more than a phone and device to send text messages and occasionally browse the web.

I am not disputing the desire or use for a larger phone, but actually, very little has changed in terms of what the phone is capable of since the 3G let alone the 4. Personally, I have always and continue to use my phone to the maximum of its potential, but I don't need a larger screen to do that.

There some some people who use their iPhone for literally everything and do not use a computer at home.

And for them there is a larger iPhone now. You are entirely missing my point when I said there is NO LONGER a phone for those who do still want something the same size and no larger. For them 'bigger' simply isn't an upgrade or better.

----------

Even the 4.7 iPhone is going to make one handed use more difficult....

This. One handed use harder, less convenient/practical/comfortable/whatever in the pocket.

Bigger is not an upgrade by default, its simply different, and in a bad way for many people.

Imory

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2013
Wonderland
They only real "significant" difference to me might be the digital IS vs OIS. But to be honest, givne the history of 5/5S which both had brilliant cameras and digital IS for their time, I don't expect the OIS on the 6+ to be much of a difference. Every other single component in the 6 and 6+ regarding the camera are the same, besides the IS.

silversin

macrumors member
Dec 18, 2010
The 4.7 inch has a better contrast ratio. And I think apps will run better, because of the lower resolution.

indychris

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2010
Fort Wayne, IN
No doubt it was a hard decision to make. You reasoned with yourself and decided the 5.5 is best for you. I'm pretty sure most will do the same but there are also a lot who will blindly get the Plus. Apple's marketing is very clever.

----------

Does what exactly? Looking down?

And like most, I'm sure you'll see yourself as the exception to the rule?

----------

Before the presentation I would have seen myself in the 4.7" camp, but post-P, I'm leaning more toward the 5.5. I use my phone for photos a lot outdoors (though can you believe in all the years I've had an iPhone, I've not once taken a selfie. Guess I'm THAT ugly!).

The big thing for me is that I read a LOT on my phone and iPad. I just don't care for the experience of reading on the phone, however. I'm thinking that the extra real estate on the 5.5" may well be a game changer.

Potential for buyer's remorse? Absolutely! But if it happens, I'll have my 5S to fall back on and I can sell the 6+. If it helps eliminate the felt need of carrying both a phone and iPad around, it may prove very worthwhile.

ZombiePete

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2008
San Antonio, TX
I think a lot of them realised that the 5.5 isn't AS big as they thought it would be in-hand. Which is what most have been saying all along.

It's actually bigger (taller) than I was expecting, which is making me question my conviction that I would choose the phone that had the better battery life. It's bigger than the Note 4; I don't see how anyone who was legitimately complaining about big phones could have seen the 6+ and decided that it's not as big as they thought it would be.

I plan on using my iPhone and Continuity to replace my mifi, so I want the device with the best battery life. But man, is this thing big. I printed out a comparison of it and it makes my Nexus 5 look small. I know I would get used to using it, but it really shocked me that they didn't try to shrink the top portion at all.

kmj2318

macrumors 68000
Aug 22, 2007
Naples, FL
I really think that the Internet warps peoples' perseption. The Internet is not the same few people with constantly changing opinions. It's a large group of people with most remaining dormant until they have something to say.

You can't just take a handful of comments before and after and assume it's the same few people making the all comments.

pooleman

Suspended
Jan 11, 2012
Eastern CT
The Apple Watch might be swaying some opinions. You handle the 5.5 less as you have the watch and the bigger screen comes into play when appropriate. On the flip side, you interact with the watch more often so you're springing for the 4.7 as you don't need the extra bulk in your pocket. Can go either way.

The Keynote made me realize how much I do NOT want an Apple Watch. I was going to get the 4.7" but after seeing the Keynote I will be getting the 64GB 5.5" model. I was originally worried about the size and if it turns out that it is too big I will return it and get the 4.7" and $100 cash back. Easy-peasy.

Currently I will be going from the original iPhone to the 5.5" iPhone 6 Plus.
iphone-6-iphone-2g-590x330.jpg

phillytim

macrumors 68000
Aug 12, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
I fully agree; for the first time, the product line is getting convoluted with variables that the average consumer will drop a few beads of sweat to ponder.

They may not realize that the Plus has a better camera or a 1080p screen, and be pissed when they find that out later and their 6 screen/pix don't look as good as they could have.

Or, why doesn't my 6 give me the extended keyboard like Jony's 6 Plus?

I don't like this path that Apple has chosen for its flagship iPhone.

And what is the actual "flagship iPhone"? Is it the expected 6 or the probably-smaller-enthusiast-market of the 6 Plus???? I'm confused, Apple!

Here's the thing.

To the consumer, it's a bad strategy.

When somebody looks at the iPad Air or iPad Mini, the ONLY thing they need to consider is, which screen size do I want?

Here, there is much more, and it leads to a situation where neither is the phone you might truly want.

I want the best camera, the best battery life, the new software tricks, the split screen apps... But I also want a phone that's comfortable to use with my relatively small hands.

So, I should get the iPhone 6 Plus, but I'll be annoyed everytime I wear a pair of trousers with small pockets.

So, I should get the iPhone 6, but everytime I take a photo I will know it might not be as good a picture as it would have been.

I'm torn, and as a consumer, who is about to pay over £600 on a new device, I worry that I might not be happy with either.

(Yes yes, first world problems, I know)

pooleman

Suspended
Jan 11, 2012
Eastern CT
I fully agree; for the first time, the product line is getting convoluted with variables that the average consumer will drop a few beads of sweat to ponder.

They may not realize that the Plus has a better camera or a 1080p screen, and be pissed when they find that out later and their 6 screen/pix don't look as good as they could have.

Or, why doesn't my 6 give me the extended keyboard like Jony's 6 Plus?

I don't like this path that Apple has chosen for its flagship iPhone.

And what is the actual "flagship iPhone"? Is it the expected 6 or the probably-smaller-enthusiast-market of the 6 Plus???? I'm confused, Apple!

I'd be willing to bet that the 6 will get some of the same features as the Plus in future updates. When I compared the 6 to the 6 Plus on Apples website I did not notice any difference in the camera between the 2 phones. What does the Plus do that the standard 6 does not?

cdmoore74

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
Samsung can get away with 2 mainstream sizes because they release the Samsung Galaxy series and the Note series about 6 months apart so there are no questions about which one is better. By the time the Note is released everyone would have forgotten about the Galaxy model. We all know that the Note will be the better phone from a specs perspective months after the Galaxy phones so many people will not complain.
But Apple is making a huge mistake and this is exactly why we have this post. Apple should have given the 4.7" model the 1080p display and optical image stabilization and waited until next year to revel a larger iPhone. Instead they have harmed 4.7" sales by making the 5.5" better and they have irritated many iUsers not accustomed to larger phones. There are many people still using 3.5" iPhones and when you give them a 5.5" it's a big shock. I heard that on a news channel this morning.
There are so many 3.5" iPhone users out there and now you made them upset because the 5.5" is the better phone. Even going from 4" to 5.5" is not a walk in the park.
When people upgrade they want the best. The 4.7" model feels like a mid-range phone on release day.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
The Keynote made me realize how much I do NOT want an Apple Watch. I was going to get the 4.7" but after seeing the Keynote I will be getting the 64GB 5.5" model. I was originally worried about the size and if it turns out that it is too big I will return it and get the 4.7" and $100 cash back. Easy-peasy.

Currently I will be going from the original iPhone to the 5.5" iPhone 6 Plus.
View attachment 489808

Glad I am not the only one (regarding the Apple watch). I just don't see the point, honestly. It has some cool features for fitness/sports tracking, but not for $350+ IMO.

I thought the "share your heartbeat and build your own emoji face" was kind of funny. Funny in the way that Apple pokes fun at Samsung for adding gimmicky features to their products. Yeah... that heartbeat thing sure is a useful feature. Can;t be considered gimmicky at all. I am not hating on it, just seeing more marketing hypocrisy lol.

I also found it interesting that in this keynote they didn't say a damn thing about Android at all. Normally they spoon feed us at least one vague statistic that "proves" iOS is leaps and bounds ahead of the pack.

1Zach1

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2008
Northern Va
I will have to wait and see if the 6 is too large relative to it's screen size to make the move based on that.

I am a little disappointed that only the + gets OIS, but it's not a huge deal as I've never had it on any previous phone.

The rest I don't care about.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
I really think that the Internet warps peoples' perseption. The Internet is not the same few people with constantly changing opinions. It's a large group of people with most remaining dormant until they have something to say.

You can't just take a handful of comments before and after and assume it's the same few people making the all comments.

I absolutely agree with this. But when you spend time on the forums, you get to see a pattern. Either all of the people who were commenting before have downright disappeared (and new folks popped up), which isn't likely, or we have keynote converters.

phillytim

macrumors 68000
Aug 12, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
The 6 Plus has a camera with optical image stablization, which helps you get a crisp, focused shot not only in all scenarios but also in that very sensitive low-light times. That's a hardware resource, not something that can be enabled in the base 6.

The 6 Plus can also extend the keyboard bigger when turned on its side, which could be a software fix; but the base 6 can never have the 6 Plus' 1080p video screen, which again is a hardware resource.

I'd be willing to bet that the 6 will get some of the same features as the Plus in future updates. When I compared the 6 to the 6 Plus on Apples website I did not notice any difference in the camera between the 2 phones. What does the Plus do that the standard 6 does not?

pish6969

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2014
There's nothing wrong with the iPhone 6 (4.7) ... Right?

LadyX this was a great thread. I am a first time poster. Usually just lurk. Your post was exactly what I was thinking. People are just hypocritical. So many here and many of my friends in real life were deadest against the 5.5 and now they singing a different tune. If 5.5 was too big for everyone a couple days ago I find it funny that now they somehow feel it's going to feel different in their hand. Lol. It's a giant phablet. Personally I would never get that big a phone. I wonder if people here go back and look at their old posts and then see how quickly they change their minds based on a new spec that for years they thought wasn't noticeable and looked the other way at (1080p), OIS, I'm a business man, I have no idea what this is but meanwhile one of my co workers told me he needs the 5.5 because of this. I laughed in his face since this is one of these features he won't notice or the majority of people. Then he mentioned the battery being bigger. I told him regardless of what phone he gets he going to be charging the phone during day when he can. It's not like the phone will last 2 days without charge on normal use. My friend was so against the android phablets but now that apple has one it's ok? Hypocritical and laughable.

mlmwalt

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2010
Philadelphia, Pa, USA
I have no desire to have a >6" phone (the Plus is 6.22" long). It's too big. I like the tiny screen of my 4s. I hate the battery life and 3g speed but otherwise it's fine. I'm stuck going with the 4.7". I really wish it had the OIS, but none of my other phones have had it, so it's not a deal breaker.

cdmoore74

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010

How can the 6 get the same features as the 6 plus when their both released at the same time? It's clear that Apple is not going down that path for at least 2 years. Maybe in 2016.

The Plus has the optical stabilization which is tons better than digital. Means less camera shake because the stabilization is done via mechanical means. With digital image stabilization it tries to counter that shake by bumping up ISO levels or by using special software algorithms which causes noise in pictures. The Plus has a higher DPI screen with a more common resolution. The battery is also bigger in the plus. And finally it appears that software will be optimized on the plus making it a smaller iPad mini; bigger screen = more information. I personally would not buy a iPad mini (or sale your existing one). Developers will no doubt make "phablet" optimized apps if $$$ is involved further making the 4.7" the red headed stepchild.

Here is a pic of OIS.

Attachments

• ISComparison.png
    ISComparison.png
    152.7 KB · Views: 603
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.