Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iZac

macrumors 68030
Apr 28, 2003
UK
Personally I use the web version and save a hyperlink to the home screen because … and I have to whisper this so Mark Zuckerberg doesn’t hear … I NEVER get adverts on the web version.

That said, I only browse it once every couple of weeks so maybe they don’t consider me profitable enough to feed ads to.

jon9091

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2002
This has been driving me nuts since iPadOS 16.1 was released. It was so jacked up I rolled back to 15.7.1. Hopefully this will get fixed soon.

more users complaining here

Last edited:

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle
This has been driving me nuts since iPadOS 16.1 was released. It was so jacked up I rolled back to 15.7.1. Hopefully this will get fixed soon.
It’s not really something that needs to be “fixed” in iPadOS. 16 is using a more modern iPhone as the emulation model and Instagram just hard codes an older screen layout instead of using more robust libraries for layout.

MrRom92

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2021

I have an older iPad on the way that hasn’t been updated to anything, and the specific intention for that iPad is to use Instagram. So these errors would be a pretty major problem. I guess in this instance you would suggest NOT updating it to iOS 16, right? I don’t think there would be a way to roll back to something earlier if I went too far forwards.

podycust

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2017

I can’t see it being fixed as it’s not official supported so that would be their excuse not to do anything about it!

dunno why meta hates the iPad so much no WhatsApp (which can’t stand anyway lol), half baked Facebook app (no dark mode for example) and no instagram app

jon9091

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2002
I have an older iPad on the way that hasn’t been updated to anything, and the specific intention for that iPad is to use Instagram. So these errors would be a pretty major problem. I guess in this instance you would suggest NOT updating it to iOS 16, right? I don’t think there would be a way to roll back to something earlier if I went too far forwards.
I guess it depends on how old the iPad is and what size it is. I would definitely NOT update it to iPadOS 16 if you want to use instagram on it. Mine is a 4th generation 12.9”.

Reactions: MrRom92

jon9091

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2002
It’s not really something that needs to be “fixed” in iPadOS. 16 is using a more modern iPhone as the emulation model and Instagram just hard codes an older screen layout instead of using more robust libraries for layout.

I can’t see it being fixed as it’s not official supported so that would be their excuse not to do anything about it!

The problem is that it‘s Apple who has it in their App Store…and it’s broken. So Apple either needs to remove it from iPad availability, or put a disclaimer on it. Perhaps then Instagram would get off their backsides and do something about it.

MrRom92

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2021
I guess it depends on how old the iPad is and what size it is. I would definitely NOT update it to iPadOS 16 if you want to use instagram on it. Mine is a 4th generation 12.9”.
Duly noted. The one I ordered is the iPad Pro 10.5” which I think is 1st or 2nd gen

Reactions: jon9091

nStyle

macrumors 65816
Dec 6, 2009
For some reason they killed being able to see timestamps for each message in DMs. Before you could swipe from the right and it would show them but now it just takes you to the DM settings.

Reactions: Tagbert

MrRom92

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2021
I don’t get it. Isn’t the iPad supposedly the “professional” device? I have a hard time believing all these major public facing corporations are managing their social media accounts and ad campaigns from an iPhone.

Again, this is literally the exact reason why I just bought an iPad Pro, which apparently now I won’t actually be able to do anything meaningful with.

It seems to me that Meta just doesn’t care about the businesses that rely on Instagram to engage with their customers. Sure, they “care” - at least when they want us to pay up to promote posts and advertise… well, we can’t do that if the app doesn’t work well enough to create posts in the first place! So they are only shooting themselves in the foot.

Reactions: Tagbert and jon9091

jon9091

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2002
well, if you're 14 years old you might actually care about having a time wasting iPad app like IG. yawn.
I’m pretty sick of the condescending BS going on here. I use it to share pressing information about my record collection with other collectors…and as I am disabled, it’s much easier for me on an iPad with a keyboard. Is that ok with you? My son is a realtor and uses it daily for his business. Again, the iPad works better for him. Is that ok with you?

MrRom92

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2021
I’m pretty sick of the condescending BS going on here. I use it to share pressing information about my record collection with other collectors…and as I am disabled, it’s much easier for me on an iPad with a keyboard. Is that ok with you? My son is a realtor and uses it daily for his business. Again, the iPad works better for him. Is that ok with you?

This. I’ve seen this attitude continually throughout these comments and it’s honestly disgusting. Instagram and other social media apps are just one way people interact with their friends and family, and plenty of businesses rely on it to engage with/inform their customers too.
Save the holier-than-thou attitude, keep it to yourself and move on if you don’t like social media - nobody is as impressed as you think they are, I promise! If you hate social apps so much, go write your friends a letter and send it via snail mail… that is, if you actually have any.

@jon9091, I’m definitely intrigued by your account since - as a total lifelong record nerd myself - I happen to run an independent label, very much a “by collectors for collectors” sorta thing. I also occasionally share stuff from my personal collection and try to regularly interact with other collectors online too. Feel free to DM me here with your IG info and I’ll gladly give you a follow!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.