These features kepp me holding onto my Android

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by maladjusted, Oct 9, 2011.

1. maladjusted macrumors newbie

First off, i love apple products, have an ipad and ipod touch, as well as a macbook pro, so i'm not anti-iphone. Up until recently though i wouldn't move from T-Mobile and buy an iphone because of the poor reception with at&t.

But i've had more and more reason to get an iphone (mainly how it will just integrate so much better with my other devices/macbook than the MyTouch does) and now i really want the 4S.

But there are a few things I actually really like about my current non-iphone and i'd appreciate it if someone(s) could let me know if the iphone offers comparable (or better) features.

1) Genius button. I really like being able to press the Genius button and say, 'find chase bank,' or 'find pizza' and i'll get pinpoints on a map with the nearest bank or pizza place.

2) Navigation. I really like the navigation feature that came with the phone. I believe it is based on Google maps, isn't it? Is the map/navigation feature on the iphone as easy to use -- and reliable?

3) Swype. I text a lot more than i make phone calls and i love the swype keyboard feature. Its really brilliant, i think.

Those are really the main features that i'd be afraid to lose on the android. I'd like to know if i'd really be losing them by switching to the iphone. Thanks.

2. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

1) Siri.
    2) I have never had a problem with the maps feature on iPhone. It's never gotten me lost either.
    3) I can't answer this one - I've never used Swype. But, I'll repeat, Siri.

3. rever3nce macrumors 6502a

rever3nce

hope you got your flame suit on

iphone has for your solution

1. siri

2. tom tom app , or 20,000 other navigation apps

3. siri ( hands free texting )

Just saying

:cool:

4. Zepaw macrumors 65816

Zepaw

5. tigerfan41 macrumors regular

Having used a Droid X for the past year (because I really wanted to give Android a chance):

1. Siri will replace this. Or some of the apps in the app store
    2. I've always found the Maps application on my iPhone to be far more reliable than the one on my Android. It has never gotten me lost. On the other hand, the Android one has. Lots of compass interference issues, too.
    3. The keyboard (Swype included) on my Droid X sucks. I've experienced similar issues with other Android phones. The keyboard is buggy and just about impossible to type a text fast on. Again, never had this issue with my iPhone, despite the fact that the screen is smaller and therefore should be tougher to type on.

Really, these were three of the reasons why I am so anxious to ditch Android and go straight iPhone 4S.

6. Nega macrumors newbie

Is there voice navigation yet on the iPhone? One thing about my crappy virgin mobile android phone is the free turn by turn navigation from google with real time traffic to let me know which route to take. I dunno why it's taking apple so long to get this done.

However I did preorder the iphone4s and it's my first iPhone. Maybe I'll try and find a good sale and get a decent GPS.

Can't wait until Friday!

7. tigerfan41 macrumors regular

For turn by turn voice navigation, I use the Mapquest app. It works pretty well on the iPhone.

8. maladjusted thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, folks. Your answers are reassuring. I feel so much better about my upcoming inevitable iPhone purchase now. Really. Thanks.

9. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

Swype is genuinely the best touch screen input method I've ever used. Super easy to learn, once mastered it's lighting fast, fun, and incredibly accurate.

I was very disappointed that Apple would not approve it for the iPhone.

Yet that said I'm not the least bit surprised since it would have been a crushing blow to their ego. Apple simply fears admitting that anyone else could possibly have a good idea, with even better implementation.

If Apple built an iPhone with a 16:9 ratio widescreen display (4.3") SWYPE, and a terrific new form factor, they'd triple their sales so fast it's unbelievable.

Funny that Apple passed up the chance to buy SWYPE, they just sold to someone else. Sometimes I think Apple has begun to level off and they've lost the desire to grow even larger.

The delay of iPhone 5 reveals that they are resting on their laurels. Now with Jobs gone, even though he's left a roadmap of products, the release dates may be rather leisurely.

Oh well, nothing lasts forever.

10. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

2 and 3 are the only really valid points.

I have yet to find a good free turn by turn navigation solution (I rarely use it, but I can see peoples use for it). Swype again is a personal choice, I've only used it briefly but some people swear by it, and the only iOS solution comes through jailbreaking and isn't really as good. People have said Siri, but it's not the same. You can't use Siri at a concert or during a conversation or in a meeting. Typing is still very important and if Swype is the way you like to do it then staying with Android seems to be the smart choice (I don't see iOS offering it any time soon)

11. Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

iPhone dont have a genius button but Siri is supposed to do this. We'll have to wait to see if it works as well as they say.

Cant answer the Maps question.

Sorry, no Swype for iPhone and possibly never will but now that Steve Jobs is gone, they may use other things in the future but not this time around anyways.

12. chrislaw macrumors 6502a

chrislaw

Swype and my navigation apps are so the only things I think I'm going to miss. Swype really is the real deal. I really do wish there was a way to implement that into my iphone.

13. ap3604 macrumors 68000

Siri will do the same thing, but even better :)

I use Navigon for data free turn-by-turn navigation and it is brilliant! Highly recommended as I actually prefer it over Google Maps Navigation.

There is a jailbreak port of swype you could use.

Here is a link: http://lifeonmymobile.com/2011/07/12/iswipe-brings-swype-to-iphone-jailbreak/

14. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

You are comparing a fairly costly paid navigation app to a free one. It better be better. Google navigation is ok but compared to something paid it sucks. I would much rather use my garmine over google navigation. Google navigation is something I more use in a pinch and it does ok but still well behind my Garmine even with its 4+ year old maps.

As for op
    1. Apple is getting it with siri but it wait and see how good it really is.

2. Nope sorry nothing free. Apple map app sucks as well compared to the one on Android.

3. Nope not there. Personally I like SwiftKey better than Swype and both keyboards better than what apple uses.

15. Jagardn macrumors 6502a

They bought Placebase a few years ago, eventually they'll probably integrate it into the OS, which may be why they haven't really done much with the maps app.

16. Captain America macrumors 6502

1. Siri gets that done.
    2. Yeah, I'd say Google Maps on the iPhone is more than adequate. Siri will help out with that too.
    3. Swype is pretty cool, and I've actually gotten to use it. But from what I've seen and experienced, I can type a good deal faster than I can swype. And if you really wanted it, there's something on Cydia that will allow you to use it on the iphone. Screws up the touch typing and probably doesn't work with iOS 5 though.

17. steve dave macrumors 6502a

There are a couple of legitimate points here.

The built in navigation app is actually pretty great. Anyone saying that the map app on the iPhone is "good enough" is pretty clueless. there are alternatives for the iPhone but any of them worth the time cost a good chunk of change and they aren't integrated into the OS like android.

Swype is something I never really got used to but that is purely personal preference. I understand that a lot of people see it as a game changer. You are correct there is nothing close to this on the iPhone.

18. G-Giant88 macrumors newbie

I've never had an iphone (waiting for my iphone4s to arrive on friday). For the past 18 months i've been on two separate android phones.

The first, which was also the best, was the HTC Desire. At first, the phone was brilliant and did everything i needed it to do. After a couple of months it was running horrendously slow, so i had to factory reset. Swype was brilliant, and the navigation was great as well, but i had to factory reset every month or so to get the speed of the phone back to where i wanted it.

The second, the Galaxy S, is abysmal. I hate this phone. I can't have emails on this phone because it slows it down far too much, even if it is the only app i have running. I still need to factory reset every now and then so i can use it effectively. Again Swype is amazing and the navigation is really handy, apart from the fact it takes 5-10 minutes trying to find where i am and actually calculating the route.

My argument is that iOS is polished, and works perfectly with the phone because it's designed too. The android phones are great devices, but too fragmented. I'm sure one day they'll catch up and we'll have a really good fight between the two, but for now, i'm incredible excited about a phone that works!

The OP might not have had these issues, but i still think the iPhone comes out on top due to the OS rather than anything else...

19. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I think it is funny that people are trying to say Apple Map program is good enough compared to Android navigations.

As I already pointed out Apples Map app is crap compared to Android Map app (the non navigation one). Its completely useless if you need voice navigation at all.

Simple fact is iOS does not have a built in free navigation app. Siri can not solve the fundamental problem there.

20. PhoneI macrumors 65816

easy big fella....not everybody likes swype. I can't stand it.

21. iToNe24 macrumors regular

iToNe24

i wonder if the sprint iphone will come with telenav voice navigation program like Blackberries and android devices have came with in the past

22. adztaylor macrumors 68000

Swype is definitely one thing I miss. It was brilliant.

23. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

Unfortunately they don't keep you in the android forums

24. xavierpunkreno macrumors 6502

As for 2: There IS something free that works just as well. The Mapquest app, even though the site sucks, works very well and is free. I used to have an android phone and it's basically the equivalent to its turn-by-turn navigation.

---
    I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=40.794416,-74.125964

25. Xenc macrumors 6502a

Xenc

I'd love to see free Google Maps navigation with voice on iPhone. The Navigation app on Android - and Car Home app - is fantastic!