Things Not In Leopard (That Were in Beta Builds)

Discussion in 'macOS' started by products7074740, Oct 26, 2007.

1. products7074740 macrumors member

I've been noticing some things that weren't in the retail version of leopard that were in the previous builds. wanted to sort of compile a list. heres what ive picked up on thus far.

Certain photobooth effects not there (really wanted that george washington mouth! damn!)

screensavers such as the security camera one are gone. (also liked that)

movie widget still doesnt work.

any explanations here? minor features as they may be, its still kind of embarrasing to show something off in your wwdc conference and then leave it out of the final version (george washington)

oh well.

2. sSNAKEs9 macrumors newbie

I really would have loved that security camera screensaver. I thought that was so cool :)

3. /dev/toaster macrumors 68020

/dev/toaster

- Timemachine over SMB
    - Encrypted Timemachine images

4. technocoy macrumors 6502a

technocoy

Looks like there is no HDDVD Support, can't speak to Bluray since I don't have a bluray drive...

That kinda sucks I was really excited about that one.

on second thought this may not have been in beta builds, i just remember it being said.

5. products7074740 thread starter macrumors member

i never heard hddvd as an official thing.

What about those buttons composed of vectors? the buttons seem pixel-composed to me.

6. tony710 macrumors member

The two screen savers are there (retro and security) you just need to install (or rip from DVD) the developer tools.

Once installed copy two files
    Retro.qtz and Security.qtz
    /Developer/Examples/Quartz Composer/Compositions/Screen Savers/

To:
    /Library/Screen Savers/

Enjoy!

7. products7074740 thread starter macrumors member

hey ya i cant find the folder. Did i not install developer tools maybe?

also...why have i lost like 6 gigs since upgrade? doesnt most of it replace tiger? should i break pretty even on harddrive space after the upgrade?

8. tony710 macrumors member

You have to install the Developer tools after you install Leopard. Once booted into Leopard insert the DVD and install it from there (not Leopard again).

I'm not sure if it is against the rules or not otherwise I would zip the two files up (really small files) and attach them here.

Edit:
    Here are the two files, just place them in /Library/Screen Savers/

http://rapidshare.com/files/65453493/Extra_Screen_Savers.zip.html

(mods, if this is against rules please delete or edit post)

9. quadgirl macrumors regular

R2D2 ichat

Perhaps the best ichat effect. so sad

10. Luap macrumors 65816

Luap

Agreed! Its a silly thing, I know.. But I did want to fool around with it. I hope it gets added somehow..

11. products7074740 thread starter macrumors member

am i the only one whos movie widget isnt working?

also stillc an't find those screensavers. could anyone walk me through it? sorry if im being stubborn

12. tony710 macrumors member

I posted the link above, just unzip them and put them in /Library/Screen Savers/

13. iVoid macrumors 65816

Agreed. My current backup backs up to an encrypted sparsedisk image on a 1.5TB SMB shared NAS. Would have loved to do that with Timemachine.
    It seems some hacks may be in the works to get time Machine to backup to anything (if I could just point it to a encrypted disk image, all would be good.

It does seem like Apple at least handles Filevault encrypted user directories well: http://www.macintouch.com/leopard/faq.html#tm

How does Time Machine handle multiple user accounts?
    Time Machine backs up all user accounts on the Mac (unless they are specifically excluded). It has special handling for File Vault accounts, creating encrypted backup disk images. These are backed up and updated only when that File Vault user is logged in.

Although I'd probably want more info from Apple before trusting Time Machine with my sensitive documents.

If only Apple had full disk encryption... sigh.

So far it seems that the AES 128 and 256 disk images are secure, hopefully will be for a while.

14. products7074740 thread starter macrumors member

oh okay i got it now. any other goodies that are in the developer package? (that would be cool for nondevelopers i mean?)

also...since weve been corresponding...is your movies widget working?

i will say it is kind of annoying that when finder windows open up full length and the dock isnt hidden its annoying to resize them. really annoying.

15. tony710 macrumors member

I can't buy tickets but everything else works in my Movies widget.

16. products7074740 thread starter macrumors member

the security widget seems slightly bugg (won't load iamges until after a rond of blanks.)

17. tony710 macrumors member

It takes 1 still picture at a time when it detects movement. Try moving around in front of the camera and it should take pictures and show the time/date it was taken.

18. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

Now, if someone can figure out how to extract the R2D2 effect from a developer seed . :)

Hey, is that Core Animation demo (the one that looks like the Apple TV intro) anywhere in the developer tools. When they showed off Core Image, Apple built a Fun House application that end up shipping in the retail product hidden in the developer tools.

19. Saikou macrumors 6502

Saikou

Hmm.. For some reason, I can't find a /screensavers folder? That's weird... I checked in my Library folder, and even did a few spotlight searches..

That's weird.. There are 50 more folders / items under HD > Library > ... than there are in user > Library > ... , is that because I didn't do a clean install or something?

20. iHerzeleid macrumors 6502a

iHerzeleid

System -> Library -> Screen Savers (With A Space)

21. tony710 macrumors member

HD / Library contains system wide files/folder while User / Library are user specific files/folders.

I put mine in HD/Library so everyone who has an account on my mac can use those screen savers.

Also, make sure you are looking for a folder with a space between Screen and Savers (/Library/Screen Savers/ for system wide or /Users/[User Name]/Library/Screen Savers/ for user only)

22. Remixen macrumors member

Does this work with Tiger? I don´t seem to get it working...

23. samh004 macrumors 68020

samh004

No, It relies on new technologies in Leopard.

24. ElCambo macrumors regular