Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OrenLindsey

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 4, 2023
North Carolina
The new iPad Pro got rid of the Ultra wide camera. This is kind of disappointing, especially because they raised the price AND didn't do anything to the other camera. They could have at least given us a better main camera to make up for it!
Screenshot 2024-05-07 at 11.56.13 AM.png

Edit: They also removed mmWave 5G. Again, kind of disappointing.

Last edited:

Isengardtom

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2009
Yeah, I hope 1 less microphone isn’t going to impact quality a lot. I never used the ultrawide so I don‘t see it as much of a drawback. Very happy they moved the front facing camera to the horizontal middle

Reactions: gotong

tron2

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2012
My network uses the mmWave, that gets me serious speeds and esim sucks (when you have to give your device for repair)...esim is forced on iphones already.

What is up with Apple removing the camera, this current gen is kinda of downgrade on some areas vs m2 12.9 ipad pro. On some areas it is a upgrade.

I guess I have to wait for the next model, just don't feel it for me

Last edited:

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
My network uses the mmWave, that gets me serious speeds and esim sucks (when you have to give your device for repair)...force on iphones already.

Yeah, eSIM-only is a bummer.

I sure hope global eSIM adoption gets better. I know there are global roaming eSIM providers like Airalo, Nomad, Holafly, etc. Alas, those are expensive and not really a good option when one needs unlimited data that’s not capped to 2G speed after like 2GB/day.

ric22

macrumors 68020
Mar 8, 2022
UK model lost its SIM tray. This bodes ill for future iPhones- the majority of the world still isn't ready for the SIM-less phone. As a frequent traveller who always gets the faster/cheaper local SIMs, it's a deal breaker in a phone.

ric22

macrumors 68020
Mar 8, 2022
USA - Charger
UK - No charger
Thailand - Charger
Hong Kong - No charger

What's the deal with screwing specific places? Bad Apple

• Sad

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
USA - Charger
UK - No charger
Thailand - Charger
Hong Kong - No charger

What's the deal with screwing specific places? Bad Apple

Charger in box for HK and China.

No charger for any European countries. No charger for iPad Air either.

ric22

macrumors 68020
Mar 8, 2022
Charger in box for HK and China.

Wonder why Apple screwed over UK. No charger for iPad Air either.
Not according to the Apple HK website

Edit: That is weird, it has changed now

nitrobear

macrumors member
Mar 5, 2024
No charging brick, at least in the UK.
Makes sense, this way they could've saved money on distributing the same iPad model in both Europe and the UK since the EU doesn't allow manufacturers to bundle chargers with USB-C capable devices anymore

ric22

macrumors 68020
Mar 8, 2022
Makes sense, this way they could've saved money on distributing the same iPad model in both Europe and the UK since the EU doesn't allow manufacturers to bundle chargers with USB-C capable devices anymore
The UK doesn't share the same charging brick with all (most?) of Europe, so a can't see distribution being an issue. HK has the UK charging brick and that still gets it (though when I first looked, it did not?!).

HylianKnight

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2017
I’m in the market for a new iPad. My 2018 iPad Pro is finally starting to show signs of its age, and I was looking forward to the 2024 iPads. But good god Apple, please let us upgrade some things without upgrading all the things! Want 16gb of ram, well then you also need to purchase the 1tb or 2tb storage option. Want all the performance cores working? Then buy the 1tb or 2tb version. Oh, you just want nano texture glass (no thank you, but for those that do), well then you just have to get one of our lovely 1tb or 2tb options.

This practice makes me mad, but would not have prevented me from purchasing a new iPad. I would have begrudgingly gotten a 512gb version, or maybe when I go to order I would have just nerd guilted myself into the 1tb. I could have dealt with all these things. The straw that broke the camel’s back for me is Apple omitting the Smart Keyboard Folio for the 2024 lineup (my preferred iPad keyboard). I won’t be upgrading now. Maybe Apple will bring it back later, at which point I would revisit my decision, but I am not holding by breath.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.