Things would like to see on new iPod Touch

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by rudeman, Mar 17, 2008.

1. rudeman macrumors newbie

Would love to see a camera like the one on the iPhone. Hopefully will be included soon. I won't buy iPod touch till they do add camera.

2. davidy macrumors 6502

davidy

Then I can guarantee you'll never be buying an iPod touch.

3. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

A camera is such a natural fit, given how great the screen is. It would be an amazing job of engineering if they could do it and not compromise the form af the existing Touch.

From another point of view, some cameras are appearing that also have 3" touchscreens, play music and videos, etc. Look for the Samsung i70, for example. Not as thin as a Touch, but with better camera innards than the iPhone.

4. iMJustAGuy macrumors 68020

iMJustAGuy

Great idea? yes. But I doubt it will happen because everything we want is getting more and more like the iPhone which I think they are unwilling to do.

5. kingtorm macrumors newbie

kingtorm

camera

Apple will never put a camera for one reason, there has to be a reason to buy the iphone. the next gen of the ipod touch will most likely have bluetooth, and possibly external speakers like the iphone(very unlikely), however i don't think the ipod touch will be changed any time soon except for a bigger flash drive, a good software upgrade would have to be the ability to use the ipod touch and the iphone as flash drives like all the other ipods, if you are going to buy an ipod touch or an iphone wait til the wwdc in june just in case. until then buy a nano or a shuffle.
    :apple:

6. aethelbert macrumors 601

They could make a camera, but it wouldn't really be like this in any way. It would be a completely new product. If you're not gonna buy an iPod until they have cameras, you're in for a long, yes, very long, wait.

7. jejo1453 macrumors newbie

flash media
    windows media player capability
    copy/past function
    folder to save files and docs
    etc...

8. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

-> external speaker
    -> flash
    -> copy/paste
    -> anodized aluminum back
    -> search function/spotlight

9. razorianfly macrumors 65816

razorianfly

Your joking, right?

Please, tell me you were ...

Adding support for Windows Media Player to any iPod model completely destroys the need for iTunes.

Apple .mpa AAC Protecion Vs Freely available .wma

It will never happen, sorry.

Not for audio, and certainly not for video.

R-Fly

10. macguy4reals macrumors newbie

1. Difibulator
    2. Ability to Read Minds
    3. Transforming capabilities - turn into vehicle.

11. Shotglass macrumors 65816

Shotglass

I pray to God that will never happen. You can't combine media players with external speakers. Just look at what a chav on a bus can do with a cell phone. Do you want that for iPods?

12. Gamoe macrumors regular

All hail the prophets who say "It'll never happen". I take such comments with great seriousness. :rolleyes:

The truth is that none of us "know" anything. Even Steve himself doesn't know what'll be in the iPhone/iPod Touch a year or two from now. The fact os that if cameras in portable media players become popular, Apple would probably put one on the iPod Touch for the sake of competition. I doubt Apple would have put a camera on the iPhone, had it not proven so popular on other cell phones.

And no, putting a camera in the iPod Touch does not all of a sudden make it an alternative to the iPhone. The big thing the iPhone has going for it is the Phone. And no camera is going to change that.

That said, I also want a camera in the iPod Touch, for snapshots. I think it would be a really great little feature. However, unlike others here, I won't pretend to know the future and predict its addition soon.

13. brandonzar macrumors regular

External Speaker

They are going to do that with their cellphones anyway. If apple adds a speaker to the touch I can use it in the comfort of my own home without headphones just like my old palm tx. I think it's a great idea, and it could also use some volume buttons.

14. Shotglass macrumors 65816

Shotglass

But these tiny little speakers sound horrible! They're not even physically capable of producing proper sound.

15. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

I would like a $30 a month or less unlimited 3G data plan for the iPod Touch.

16. chall5 macrumors regular

1. Ability to turn off CoverFlow
    2. Wi-fi icon on home screen
    3. Simple remote with track skip and volume control

17. brandonzar macrumors regular

Admittedly I'm no audiophile I used to listen to music on the Palm TX all the time and it sounded fine as long as you didn't turn it up to loud. It was worth it not to have anything in my ears.

18. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

If Apple decides to keep the current form factor, they probably won't add a camera due to size and quality issues.

Your camera idea, however, makes me wonder if we won't see some sort of attachment camera wise to the bottom connector. The attachment could be thicker and hence have a better lens and some sort of zoom capability. Maybe a rotating one like Nikon has so you can have a decent optical zoom. Although, I am not sure how popular it would be. Cost would definitely be a factor.

19. Shotglass macrumors 65816

Shotglass

I'm a bit biased because I hate these kinds of speakers, but still, I don't think people with your preferences make up a big enough target group for Apple to build speakers into their iPod(s).

20. miranon macrumors newbie

miranon

1. 24-bit truecolor screen or Amoled screen
    2. Improved sound quality
    3. Flac support

21. wizard macrumors 68040

Interesting question here are a couple of thoughts.

First; the current generation Touch is pretty impressive, I would not want to see it changed massively except in terms of storage. But here are a couple:
    1. Change the head set connector so that it uses the same one as on the iPhone and thus supports audio in. This potentially makes the Touch useful for a huge number of applications and yes one of them is VoIP.
    2. Bluetooth. But and it is a big wide butt, Apple needs to get its stuff together and support the common Bluetooth profiles. Not just one or two but all of he common profiles and support developers through the SDK.
    See i don't want to see the current platform changed terribly. As long as they continue to up Flash storage I'm all set. Plus this is hardware only, it looks like software in the future won't be a problem.

Now as to a next generation Touch type machine that is a different story all together. Here I'm thinking a bigger platform to offer up more interesting features. Such as:
    1. A larger screen to better support video. In other words this would be a video focused iPod as opposed to a audio focused unit.
    2. The larger screen should have 24 bit color, and HD resolution.
    3. Bluetooth, as above completely supported.
    4. Provision for the users choice of 3G, WiMax or whatever. This in addition to the standard WiFi connection. The idea being to allow the user to tailor the machine to the local conditions and service providers.
    5. USB port. As good as Bluetooth is a USB port provides for a larger array of connection possibilities. Of course Apple could make he Dock port USB on the Go so that it could work in both manners. In any event the idea is to get things like memory card readers and other low impact devices to work in the field. Properly outfitted a Touch like device could be a photographers friend.
    6. Dual core processor. Simply to offer better performance yet to keep the power draw down as low as possible. I don't think this is a device that can really leverage ATOM yet. I still want to be able to use the machine all day.
    7. A physical mute/pause and volume controls. Again to make for a less fiddly machine when you want to do something like have a conversation with a real person.
    8. FM radio. Yes I do listen to FM more so than any music collection I might have.
    9. GPS option. Optional because a lot of people don't need it and because I expect a full implementation.
    10. As mentioned above audio in and out via the Iphone type connector.
    11. Temperature and humidity probes. Most modern electronics already have the electronics to measure temperature at a number of points why not add the atmosphere.

In any event that is just one idea. I could see a whole family of Touch based devices targetting different needs.

Dave

22. Schnebar macrumors 6502

maybe they could have a version of the ipt that Is a little thicker but has a good camera on the back. Like that wired mock up. Icamera. The lens would be like an inch wide and it would retract into the body when not in use. But I still think there should be the regular thin just ipt.

23. brandonzar macrumors regular

You are probably right there, I look at the Touch as a PDA (a very capable one) in which a small speaker is very common. I would bet that most people see it as a media player, but still I hope it happens someday. If it had bluetooth I probably wouldn't care as much.

24. EdwardsNH macrumors member

An external speaker would make this device perfect for me.