Things you HATE about Macs...

Discussion in 'macOS' started by joefinan, Dec 15, 2007.

?

So what do you think about Macs/Apple OS?

1. They are superb and could not be better

305 vote(s)
    22.9%
  2. They're good but have a few niggles

879 vote(s)
    65.9%
  3. For everything I like there's something I don't like

106 vote(s)
    8.0%
  4. I prefer Microsoft PCs

43 vote(s)
    3.2%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joefinan macrumors 6502a

We all know that Macs are tonnes better than PCs, but hating things about something is the way they get better. Here are some things that really bug me (and I hoped would not be present in 10.5).

- The low battery warning will pop up six or seven times before the battery dies - and needs to be CLICKED to go each time.

- The green 'plus' button in the top corner of windows is very inconsistent - can't it simply make the window as big as the screen?

- When you shut down a notebook, you can't close the lid or it will go to sleep mid shut down.

- When resizing a finder window, the coverflow gets bigger rather than the list of files getting longer (10.5).

- eBay never works properly with Safari!

- The sleep light cannot be disabled. I like not shutting down my Power Book but, in a dark bedroom, that light gets annoying.

If Macs were perfect, Steve Jobs would have retired, so what annoys you about Apple products? It's just a bit of fun...

2. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

I would like more than Blue and Graphite. Come on, it can't be that hard to give us a least a couple more choices (I don't even want full theme support).

And yeah, the maximize button is worthless.

The somewhat unpredictable behavior of window preferences/views is also troubling.

3. blaklaybul macrumors regular

blaklaybul

HATE?!? I couldnt imagine feeling a negative emotion as strong as my LOVE for my Apple products.

Hate is a strong word.

4. joefinan thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ok, ok! Fair point. So what slightly bugs you about Macs?!

5. Taylor C macrumors 6502a

Agreed. Also, I will probably never understand why anyone would want the maximize button to make a window full screen regardless of the contents of said window. The reason for making a window larger is to allow all the content it contains to be displayed at once without scrolling, and that's exactly what the zoom button in OS X accomplishes. It scales the window to fit the content.

6. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

The problem comes in that the "scale to fit" component is not predictable at all and usually ends up being too small (try it with this page, for instance, you end up getting a window that is about 100 px wide).

7. igucl macrumors 6502a

igucl

The delete key doesn't delete anything. Instead one has to either drag it to the trash manually or pick "move to trash" from the contextual menu.

8. polishmacuser macrumors 6502a

polishmacuser

blu ray and HD DVD would be nice seriously macworld please be the day where they introduce software or hardware for the mac to play back these formats:)

9. joefinan thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ah! I know that one - apple-delete sends it straight to the trash.

10. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

Command delete to move to the trash and command shift delete to empty trash.

They're file commands after all, so requiring the command key is consistent.

11. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

Or you could learn to use keyboard shortcuts...

12. joefinan thread starter macrumors 6502a

The eject button doesn't eject the disc straight away - but I think it should. Regardless of what it's doing/trying to do.

13. ChrisA macrumors G4

Really, the only bad thig that there is such a limited range of hardware. If I run Windows, Linux or Solaris I can choose hardware to suit my needs. With Apple there is very limited choice. Apple needs to make a full range of systems available.

Morethen a few times I'v had to recommend people not buy Apple computers because there was no suitable hardware.

14. notsofatjames macrumors 6502a

notsofatjames

That doesnt happen very often to me, maybe twice. If you reduce your CPU usage, your batter will last longer, but if you increase your usage, the computer will think your battery will last less.
    I find it very consistent. I think it depends on what you expect it to do. In millions of threads here you will see people moaning about how it doesnt fill the screen, and millions of replies saying its not supposed to fill the screen. Why would i want to look at a 400x400px image maximized to 1280x760 (or whatever my resolution is) and then see lots of blank space around the image. It wasting space!
    that would annoy me, but i never shut down my macbook
    I've had no problems, try resetting safari.
    I too wish that were an option.
    So true...

Not very many things annoy me about macs. WiFi always takes ages to connect when waking from sleep.

It makes my window just as tall as my screen. Has no effect on the width (Safari 3, 10.5)

15. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

Ah, forgot to put in the bit about making the window narrow enough to require a horizontal scroll bar.

16. notsofatjames macrumors 6502a

notsofatjames

Thus proving my point. The + button makes the window big enough to not require any horizontal scrolling. And not any bigger. It tries to make the page not require any vertical scrolling, but then discovers my puny 13" screen cant handle that!

17. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

Yeah, I know what it does. I'm just complaining that it isn't horribly useful is all. :p

18. notsofatjames macrumors 6502a

notsofatjames

Everyone's got to have their opinion on something i suppose. And thats what this tread is about. Things that annoy you about macs. Being annoying is a matter of opinion.

19. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

What irks me most about Apple products is that I have neither the justification nor the funds to have one of each.;)

20. calculus Guest

calculus

They're never as waterproof as they claim to be ...

21. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

Oh yeah, I understand. Would be nice if they gave us an option to maximize though. (Instead of shift click the green button...well at least shift click works in omniweb...does it work for anything else?)

22. notsofatjames macrumors 6502a

notsofatjames

well i never knew that!

23. prostuff1 macrumors 65816

prostuff1

- The low battery warning will pop up six or seven times before the battery dies - and needs to be CLICKED to go each time.

I quite like the way the plus button behaves, a I really hate the way windows does it. This is mostly all personal preference and the way Apple does it, and it will probably never change.

You really can't wait 30 seconds to let the computer shutdown all the way??

have not used leopard all that much but resizing a window it just that. You are resizing the whole thing. It would not be consistent to just make some of the window bigger.

This is an ebay problem and not safari!

The light is not that bright

24. rotlex macrumors 6502a

The Finder. I love all things OS X. But frankly, Windows Explorer is FAR superior for file management. WHY can't we have an explorer like view.

Oh, and the ability to CUT in the finder as well. REALLY annoying not having that option. I mean jeez, even Linux GUI offers this. (As well as an explorer like interface depending on the window system you are using).

25. joefinan thread starter macrumors 6502a

"It would not be consistent to just make some of the window bigger."

That's exactly what it does. If it shows coverflow and 5 items in the list, resize the window and you still only have 5 items in the list but really huge coverflow. So by your own admission, that's not consistent.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.