Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheShinyMac

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 3, 2009
New addition to the list: Screen protectors.
Bought a wrapsol for my iPad and its 10x better than the Zagg shield on my iPhone

SDub90

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2009
Long Island
1. Steak (black & blue is overcooked to me, I don't take chances with this)
2. Flushable moist wipes
3. Data backup for my servers
4. Server hardware
5. Hot sauce

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
Problem is that I try to buy toilet paper made from recycled paper, and regardless of which brand I choose, the paper falls apart. I want good stuff, but I'm trying to be good and buy recycled. However, I'm so frustrated at the t.p. situation that I may say "Screw it" and get decent stuff.
Recycled TP and Paper Towels are crap. Don't think killing trees by buying the good stuff because it comes from massive tree farms anyway. They get replenished. The whole "killing trees environmentalist" thing is a shame for the most part.

Disposition

macrumors member
Apr 3, 2004
California
Amazing the replies most commonly given on this thread. Toilet paper, tires, and food for example. Really shows what's "important" to people in life :D. I agree with tires, especially when all you got are two.

Being in college means there are quite a lot of things I must be cheap on. Although when it comes to my motorcycle it's the best or nothin'. Can't go cheap on something like that.

63dot

macrumors 603
Jun 12, 2006
norcal
A mattress set. ;)

I read through this whole thread, and I have to agree on this one. We spend a third of our lives here, so to spend a little more to get a good one (or even top of the line one) is really worth it. I don't feel about anything else this strongly.

As for cars, I have a good one but I could have bought a faster one with more bells and whistles but for me, it's point A to point B. What I drive is ridiculously safe, perhaps the safest in class, yet not that powerful or stylish, but I am OK with that.

As for computers, I love my Mac minis and before that my iBook and somewhat used Power Mac did the job for what I needed. I didn't need to spring for a loaded 17" inch MBP with extra large screen to plug into on desk.

As for medicine, I find generics do a fine job.

As for wine, I have bought mid-priced bottles as good as the few high end ones I have had (saved up for) and to me, going all the way with great wine is not worth it as there are better things to spend it on. I also used to buy the exotic beers but found that I was OK with more common, less expensive beer.

As for musical instruments, sub-$1,000 dollar electric guitars, for instance, are only slightly less of a joy to play than the very expensive few guitars I have had. My off the shelf Fender American Strat I had in the 1990s was almost as good as the Fender Custom Shop strat in almost every aspect. Though I never flew, the Custom Shop strat had a flight case but that was more for show for most who bought that model. And to to sound better, I got more from practicing the instrument than a guitar with the latest and greatest innovations and electronics I can dial in on a decent amplifier or effects anyway.

As for tires, I get safe tires that hold up vs. ones that cost a lot that only show their worth in high speed applications. I don't race, or even go fast, so really cool racing tires are not for me.

As for clothes, something simple and durable does the job and as long as they are color coordinated, then fine. I have no great need for Versace suits or one of a kind hand made shoes to order.

As for education, I could have purchased an all-private education and both busted my butt to work harder and borrow more money, but I found in most cases, state funded education was just as good. Heck, it's what you make of it. I do see those private prep school and college alums talk about it ad nauseum for the rest of their lives, but I think there's a better way to spend $200,000 dollars, as in a house.

Last edited:

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Technology in general, spend little and it will come back and bite you in the as$.

Food, don't want to get sick or have tasteless food.

Personal Care items, although looks aren't everything, it's a sign of self-esteem to take care of oneself and look presentable.

TheShinyMac

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 3, 2009
GAME IDEA

Bring a group of friends to a or an "dollar store" and give each person a 5 dollar cap and see who can find the most bizzare items. Have the cashier make the final decision on who won and have the others chip in for the final cost.

I did this with a few of my friends a few days ago and it was awesome!!

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Being a college student, this is tough..but:

gadgets - (MBP, iPod touch, etc.)
weed - (hey now)
beer - (if I want to drink urine, I'll do that)
food - (I like to buy organic if possible, but if not..at least not fast food..)
car tires
haircuts
toilet paper - (my roommate buys the really thin stuff..but you end up having to fold it over a lot anyways, making the paper quite wasteful and therefore not much of a money saver)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.