Things you wish you could do (if you had the time/skill)

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Astroboy907, Aug 21, 2014.

1. Astroboy907 macrumors 65816

Astroboy907

I have been thinking about this quite a lot recently - there are so many things I wish I could try or do but I simply do not have the skills or time neccesary to do those things. For example, I would really love to be able to write music. I have a very eclectic music taste, and like a lot of different genres that are seldom combined. Being able to write music to serve my tastes would be awesome!

Other things that I would love to be able to do - write a book, make a video game, film a movie, make a prop... the list goes on.

I can't be the only one who has a long bucket list of stuff I have to try! :)

2. Suture macrumors 6502a

Suture

Learn Mandarin. I even bought the Rosetta Stone course for levels 1-5, but just never have the time.

I actually DO write/record music in my spare time, but between work and helping raise a kid... this doesn't happen very often.

3. HipsterGG macrumors member

HipsterGG

Start web designing and graphic designing again. But with a full-time job and a 5 days a week sports program I'm not able to. Sadly enough tho..

4. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

Sight read on guitar. Without reading I am useless in orchestra where I get pieces I have never heard or doesn't exist in recordings in concert C, but sometimes horn music written in E flat or B flat where I have to transpose.

I wish I had the math skills of a friend who worked with many on theory of everything.

5. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

If I could do it all over again then I would have learned the skills of a professional firemen. These are the last real heroes of government work for civilians.

6. ChristianJapan macrumors 601

ChristianJapan

Learning piano
    Learning languages
    Study graphic and design

7. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

I wish I could vomit at will. I'd be able to get out of meetings, going to weddings, etc.

8. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Funny... :p

I wish I could have stuck with Guitar, but after 2 years, I did not advance adequately and lost interest.

9. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Learn to speak about 20 languages. Learn to play a few dozen musical instruments.

There is surely more, but that is what pops into my head right now.

10. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

Build a house/boat/car/airplane.

I've always wanted to build something grand. The grandest thing I've built so far is an 8x10 garden shed.:rolleyes: I'm always amazed by the stories on the internet of people building a hobbit house, or a Lambo, or a sailboat. How I envy them and their skill.

11. Apple fanboy macrumors Core

Apple fanboy

Isn't that called bulimia?

12. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

It is interesting how many people have posted that they would have liked to have learned a musical instrument; you can count me among them, too. If I have any regret of skills unmastered, it is this one; actually, I would love to be able to play a musical instrument (or three) - such as the piano, or guitar - proficiently, very proficiently.

13. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

I woul like to build an iOS app. I know there are online classes and such but not having a Mac leaves me unable to do anything with iOS :(

----------

Having no musical knowledge I did this last week.

14. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

15. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

I just wish I was normal. I can play a little piano and cello, write music, write code, draw pictures, and do photography and the like on the side. But I'm handicapped, can't drive, and so always have to depend on other people and my life revolves around their schedules.

16. Apple fanboy macrumors Core

Apple fanboy

I always wanted to be able to skateboard. I have such a bad sense of balance, its never going to happen.

My parents sent me to guitar lessons as a child, but I gave it up after a few months. Wish I'd kept it up.

Wish I'd gone to Uni as a teenager to experience what a lot of young people do.

17. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

I thought bulimia was a disorder? I'm just talking about throwing up at will - not making myself throw up (like intentionally gagging myself), not for the purpose of losing weight or being able to eat more.

18. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

Not being normal makes you who you are. I'm sure you wouldn't want to trade who you are for the world :).

19. vrDrew macrumors 65816

I'm going to second the observation regarding learning to play a musical instrument.

I'm starting my second year of the guitar. And I still suck. But its amazing at what a much higher level of musical accomplishment that I suck than I did a year or eighteen months ago.

I don't kid myself that I'll ever be a great guitarist. I started probably thirty or forty years too late for that. But its still amazingly satisfying to get to the point where you are not just playing the notes - but playing the notes with emotion, intonation, and emphasis.

I've read considerable research regarding the neurological processes that take place when you play music. The process of managing the fine motor skills necessary to control the muscles in your fingers, combined with the mathematical and memory skills involved with remembering chords and keys and melody, keeping track of the time signature, etc. etc. - its a workout for the brain that literally cannot be equalled by any other activity known to man. Which is not to say that Ozzie Osbourne isn't both a blithering idiot and still a thousand times better musician than I'll ever be.

20. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

This is your brain on music...

21. sliceoftoast macrumors 6502

sliceoftoast

These not in any order

- Learn Guitar
    - Develop apps
    - Code Websites
    - Renovate my house

22. iMacFarlane macrumors 65816

iMacFarlane

I wish I could be professionally involved in a scientific field of study, R&D, or academia. I'm afraid I missed my opportunity to do so when I chose my path and stubbornly adhered to it for the last 30 years. Now I'm in my late forties, still doing the same thing I signed up for so long ago, and working with legions of people who always seem to consider me to be some sort of genius.

Other than that, I just need to get off my butt and write some cool iOS apps and a sci-fi novel I've been kicking around in my head for way too long.

23. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I wish I had the time/patience to make a game. My day job is development so naturally it's the last thing I want to do in my free time. It's a pity because I have plenty of ideas but don't have the "drive" to actually implement them (plus I can't draw so I'd need to find someone else to handle that part).

24. Apple fanboy macrumors Core

Apple fanboy

There's no such thing as normal. Just some of our differences are more noticeable than others.

25. iPad Air macrumors regular

There is not a thing wrong with having to depend on others. We all depend on at least one other than ourselves. You are normal.

I used to play the cello as well! But, I started a business that pulled me away eventually. I just had different priorities. But, I still greatly enjoy classical/orchestral/instrumental music.