Think I'll buy a Macbook Pro tomorrow. Few Questions.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by vader1990, Sep 23, 2008.

1. vader1990 macrumors regular

This is my first time on this forums, so please go easy ;)

I think I'm going to go ahead and buy the Macbook Pro tomorrow--I don't think this "update" will really matter that much to me anyway...

So I have a few questions:

1. Should I upgrade the RAM to 4GB? I plan to use it for some hardcore programming and Engineering. Also to watch HD movies, and play some games (Crysis if at all possible?, Gears, etc.) Its only $50 for the upgrade if I do it manually!

2. Basically I found 4GB (2 X 2GB) DDR2 RAM for laptops--PC2-6400 and PC2-5300--for basically the same Price. Will the Macbook Pro accept the 800 RAM? Will it address and use the benefits of the 800 RAM? Should I just get the 667 RAM?

667: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227247
    800: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227251

3. I have never ever used a mac before, a lot of my friends are saying Mac's are no good, and they suck--so I ask you guys? Why Macbook Pro? Is it worth it? Am I simply just wasting money on this?

Thanks guys!
    -S

2. Purple Pelican macrumors member

I would upgrade the RAM to 4 Gigs, from what you're using your MBP for. The installation is simple, so if you want to do it, go ahead. However, your computer will NOT be able to take advantage of the faster 800 ram.

In terms of the MBP, if you really don't care about the update, I believe that it's a great computer. Being a Mac user for 13+ years, I'm biased, but there you go.

3. rolex54 macrumors 6502

1. you should definitely get the 4 gigs of RAM, but just don't buy it from apple
    2. it will not take advantage of the 800, just go with the 667
    3. I switched to mac 3 years ago and have never looked back, the pro is great for what you want to be doing on it, i would definitely say that it is worth it

4. masse macrumors 6502a

masse

Well since your new I should let you know they will be updating the macbook pro with a possible redesign within the next 2 or 3 weeks. (maybe)

5. Mykbibby macrumors 6502a

Mykbibby

I highly recommend not buying the computer yet. A new model will come out within the next couple of weeks, completely redesigned, with some great new features, and potentially for much cheaper. It would be stupid, no matter how much you "don't need" the new features, to buy the old one now, when you know a better one is coming very shortly for the same price or cheaper.

If you need more reasons why you should wait, shoot me an email. You can find the address on my blog (see below).

6. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

If you read his post he already knew that.

7. mattyb240 macrumors 6502a

I bought mine a few days ago having been a windows user for all my life.

Simply your friends are ignorant unless they have any first hand experience and evidence as to why it does. Its like people saying vista sucks having never used it when half of my friends have never had a problem with it.

The switch is easy and the way things are layed out do genuinely do make more sense then windows. All the features are clean and simple. I say go for it.

8. drossad macrumors regular

Have any of your friends that are telling you Macs are "no good" and "suck" ever really used a Mac themselves? I'm betting the answer is no and they are just going on hearsay and there own biased uneducated opinion. I don't know of anybody who has ever truly tried using a Mac for a while and still have that opinion.

I made the switch back in May 2008 and I have never regretted it for one minute. Of course they are more expensive and I could've gotten a capable PC for less, but the OS and the sheer smoothness of everything is so worth it. Macs just work better than PCs. Period.

I say go for it and get your extra RAM from newegg or crucial. All your friends will be jealous of how well your Mac works while their PCs are having issues or crashing.

9. iwuzbord macrumors 6502

iwuzbord

would you mind explaining these "new features"?
    other that a specs bump or some design changes, i dont really see that much difference based on the rumors ive seen so far.

i think that the current mbps are excellent! they run smoothly and are really great machines. it will not be a waste of money. but like others have said, the 667 will work, while the 800 will not. do not buy the ram from apple, because you can find cheaper elsewhere. yadda yadda. make sure to buy matching pairs of ram so that your machine can benefit the most..

and i'd say to go to your nearest apple store and really first try a mbp out for yourself. try and see if you like it before you buy it. i think that mac's are awesome. and after switching almost 2 months ago, i am completely convinced of it.
    -
    phew that was long (enough) :D

10. Bobeder9 macrumors member

Crysis Warhead is possible on "Mainstream" settings with AA off. That is the only way I could get a comfortable framerate. Gears is possible on medium/high settings. I just beat Gears....fun game. All of this is on Vista through BootCamp.

It isnt a gaming machine, but for the occasional gamer it suites me just fine. It always hurts to re-boot in Windows.....haha.

11. vader1990 thread starter macrumors regular

Hi,

I've heard that usually they simply just bump the specs up slightly and maybe change the outer shell, and keep the price almost the same. So basically they might up the 2.4GHz to maybe a 2.5-2.8Ghz depending, and then perhaps the HDD to 320 possibly?

The only thing is I cannot wait too long! I'm fine waiting for 2.5 weeks at the MOST!! I HAVE to start on my Project in 2.5 weeks, so I will need it by then!!

Is there any date that hints to when it may be updated? Ball-park figure?

**) Another question: Is it worth paying like $15 more for RAM with lower timings [4-4-4-12 instead of CAS: 5]???

**) The biggest argument my friends make is price, and I almost agree!

Thanks guys!!

12. shoppy macrumors 6502a

No offense guys, so what if something new comes out they always do. Apple first revisions are always buggy, my first macbook pro 1.83 was a turd from day one and was replaced with a 2GHz one. I always had to have the latest and newest, now as I get older as long it does what I need I quite happy. I will buy the next macbook pro, after it's been out a while to sort out any teething issues.

I always regretted selling my 1.67G$ 17" powerbook for the turd of a 1.83 Macbook pro. Now I have gone back to a 17" that I know works perfectly and will happily plod away for a while.

13. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

Timings don't make much of a real world difference. However, Macs can be picky with RAM. You should always buy memory that's guaranteed Mac compatible. OWC (macsales.com) and Crucial (crucial.com) are good vendors that sell guaranteed memory.

Yes, Mac laptops are more expensive than PCs for what you get. But I think the difference in overall user experience is well worth the price difference. Besides, I've used Final Cut Pro for years, which kind of keeps me tied to the platform in a sense...

14. iBunny macrumors 65816

15. MowingDevil macrumors 68000

MowingDevil

If you're starting a project in 2.5 wks then you'll want to be familiar w/ the machine ahead of time so you're not experimenting & figuring it out while you should be working. Also keep in mind if they do announce it on the 14th, the shipments might not come in for 2 weeks anyways (then thats 5 weeks from now!). You never know how its going to unfold. If it wasn't for your project I might be inclined to say at least wait and see what happens...but you don't sound obsessed about the latest revision anyways so why bother?

Even though it costs a bit more I buy my RAM from Apple so its preinstalled, you know its the right memory *and* its covered under AppleCare.

16. Loge macrumors 68020

Loge

If you are already thinking of 4GB for the current model, just remember that that is the maximum it will support, so you will have to live with that for the duration of your ownership.

It is possible that a new model will support a maximum of 8GB and although you may not need it now, it will provide you with a degree of future proofing.

17. philamac macrumors regular

Why can't you wait, and use your Engineering Dept's computer lab to do your project?

18. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

That's understandable. My work is like that, too (oh well, it's their money).

But in my years of buying aftermarket RAM from Crucial, I have never once run into problems due to bad modules. In fact, the only bad memory modules I've encountered are the cheapie no-name ones you buy from places like Fry's.

And I've had about three Mac laptops that had to be serviced under AppleCare at some point. Since none of the repairs were for memory related problems, they got serviced under warranty, no questions asked.

19. rychencop macrumors 65816

rychencop

20. vader1990 thread starter macrumors regular

With all due respect, I find that HIGHLY unlikely. At most they will probably up the FSB to 1066, and the RAM to 800. And a probable processor jump!

I guess I could, but it helps having a decent one in my dorm, so I can use it for other hw, and when I don't feel like going to the labs. But, in any case, you're right, that's a possibility!

So maybe I'll wait a few days...or weeks, and see what happens...

21. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

Not going to happen.

22. bolen macrumors 6502

bolen

Well, the Montevina chipset (aka Centrino2) does support 8GB of memory. So why wouldn't the MBP support 8GB?

In fact.. I believe the Santa Rosa chipset also supports 8GB but it's limited by software.

23. vader1990 thread starter macrumors regular

Ok, guys, let me make this VERY EASY:

VOTE!!!

BUY NOW: 0 Votes
    WAIT: 0 Votes

First counter to hit 25 wins!!

Thanks for all the help guys!

But yeah, I'm def. getting a macbook pro, screw what my friends say--since you guys are actual users, and you seem happy with your purchase, I'll take your word higher ;)

24. JG271 macrumors 6502a

JG271

You can edit your initial post to include a poll.

And i'd wait if i were you:)

25. ManWithhat macrumors regular

Just freakin' wait. It's a few weeks. You'll be looking at a shrunken architecture (less heat, faster), faster FSB, and getting that POS graphics card out of there (which may or may not still be defective). Those things are pretty much guaranteed.
    There's also a lot of speculation that the price is going to drop on Macbook and Macbook Pros.

That being said, If you want one now then buy one. Just don't say we didn't warn you when you have buyer's remorse on October 14th.