Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Will apple fix the bending issue or no

• Total voters

Greenmeenie

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2013
I iPad Pro 11" screen inexplicably cracked sitting on the kitchen table with nobody home. Now I am wondering if it had a bend stressing the glass that I did not notice.

I find this hard to believe. Ipad screens just don’t spontaneously crack by themselves. Something bumped against your screen. Maybe you didn’t notice it at first. Or somebody in the house broke it, and then ran away. Lol. But to jump to the conclusion that it cracked on it’s own while you were out due to expanding or bending metal is the least plausible.

Reactions: newellj

Freida

Suspended
Oct 22, 2010
I find this hard to believe. Ipad screens just don’t spontaneously crack by themselves. Something bumped against your screen. Maybe you didn’t notice it at first. Or somebody in the house broke it, and then ran away. Lol. But to jump to the conclusion that it cracked on it’s own while you were out due to expanding or bending metal is the least plausible.
I don't think so. We have no idea how much stress is on the glass and how 'giving' there is. From physics, the simplest explanation could be temperature difference. Its not the first time we have witnessed something like this (I think it was Google who had problem with 2 materials detaching etc. - not sure which one though) so having something on the table on its own can easily produce a crack or detachment.
I'm not saying that that is what happened, I'm just saying that it IS plausible :)

Reactions: neomorpheus

neomorpheus

macrumors regular
Dec 17, 2014
I don't think so. We have no idea how much stress is on the glass and how 'giving' there is. From physics, the simplest explanation could be temperature difference. Its not the first time we have witnessed something like this (I think it was Google who had problem with 2 materials detaching etc. - not sure which one though) so having something on the table on its own can easily produce a crack or detachment.
I'm not saying that that is what happened, I'm just saying that it IS plausible :)

Of course is possible, everything is.

But once again, someone has to make an apology to defend apple.

ManyThreads

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2017

It doesn't need to be easy to believe, it just needs to be possible. I probably just got one with a QC issue which is not uncommon. The only 2 places the iPad has been is in a case, and further inside another thick neoprene sleeve OR in my hands on the couch. I live alone and don't have any pets. Used it one evening, put it back in it's sleeve (definitely not cracked) and set it on the table inside the 2 cases Opened the cases the next day and a big crack running the length of the screen was there. It was very obvious, not something you could miss. So it either broke on its own which seems most likely to me with the 30+ page thread on bent frames and YouTube videos of people breaking them in half with their fingers, or it's so fragile that sitting in my hands or in a padded sleeve cracked the screen (less likely). Either way - it happened, I know the events, I was very unlucky, but the issue was resolved via Apple care. My 10.5" spent 18 months being a beater iPad at the gym every other day, being abused by airport staff, and looked like new when I sold it. I am very nervous about the new 11", which visibly flexes if you push on the screen or put any force on it at all. This incident has made me even more paranoid. The price of going thinner I guess.

Greenmeenie

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2013
I don’t know what to say. It just seems bizzarre. I’ve had 5 ipads before my 11” ipad pro. Three ipad minis & two regular ipads. I cracked the screen on 3 of them. Sometimes i don’t even know how. I just picked it up and there it was. Other times it was obvious, i dropped it face down. Boom. The point is...ipad screens have always been vulnerable unless protected. They get banged, they get bumped, and they can crack. Things happen. Iphone screens crack & shatter all the time, and they are small screens! True, they get dropped more...but ipads are basically a much larger sheet of glass.

Needless to say i am super careful now. Especially with this expensive ipad pro. All i know is that mine was straight right out of the box and is still straight. Not even worried about it bending. I got a case that protects the edges tho, and so far so good. No drops. No cracks. I am ultra careful with it. At the same time, i travel a lot and keep it in my backpack all the time. Besides the case, i put it in a padded sleeve when i travel.

Last edited:

Freida

Suspended
Oct 22, 2010
Of course is possible, everything is.

But once again, someone has to make an apology to defend apple.
true.

I'm not so nervous about first few weeks as that itself is fine (2 weeks return policy covers that). I'm just worried long term. I have Air 2 and if I take it out of the case it looks like brand new.
I went to the store and applied small pressure to see how 'bendy' the new one is and I can certainly say that its more flexible than my Air 2 so it is a valid concern for me and for others.

Air 2 is over 4 years old and still super solid. Can the new Pro last 4 years without developing a bend or anything related to the structural 'weakness'? Only time will show but for some its not worth the risk. I so would love to get the new one but this is making me worried. iPhone 6 was a none issue according to Apple too and people were saying that its overblown but if thats the case then why did Apple put stronger aluminium in the 6S? If something is non issue then why 'fixing' it? It was a weakness and Apple knew it so the patched it.

Same goes for this one I think. Thinner you go the stronger material you need to maintain the same structural rigidity. You can't go thinner and keep the same materials etc. as you are just making it weaker and the new iPad is certainly weaker. How much? That is a valid question but for some its too 'fragile'.

neomorpheus

macrumors regular
Dec 17, 2014
true.

I'm not so nervous about first few weeks as that itself is fine (2 weeks return policy covers that). I'm just worried long term. I have Air 2 and if I take it out of the case it looks like brand new.
I went to the store and applied small pressure to see how 'bendy' the new one is and I can certainly say that its more flexible than my Air 2 so it is a valid concern for me and for others.

Air 2 is over 4 years old and still super solid. Can the new Pro last 4 years without developing a bend or anything related to the structural 'weakness'? Only time will show but for some its not worth the risk. I so would love to get the new one but this is making me worried. iPhone 6 was a none issue according to Apple too and people were saying that its overblown but if thats the case then why did Apple put stronger aluminium in the 6S? If something is non issue then why 'fixing' it? It was a weakness and Apple knew it so the patched it.

Same goes for this one I think. Thinner you go the stronger material you need to maintain the same structural rigidity. You can't go thinner and keep the same materials etc. as you are just making it weaker and the new iPad is certainly weaker. How much? That is a valid question but for some its too 'fragile'.

Same here, i have an ipad air 2, in a rather thin case and its practically brand new, super sturdy.

Apple will never admit doing a mistake in anything and the rabid fanbois will make sure to defend them until the bitter end.

This ipad pro is a very flawed device and its a shame that people are ignoring those flaws and buying them in droves.

I will need a new one soon and will see what happens with whatever apple releases, because I guarantee that this model will be fixed, even though, they will never admit that there was anything wrong with it.

Reactions: Freida

Greenmeenie

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2013
Same here, i have an ipad air 2, in a rather thin case and its practically brand new, super sturdy.

Apple will never admit doing a mistake in anything and the rabid fanbois will make sure to defend them until the bitter end.

This ipad pro is a very flawed device and its a shame that people are ignoring those flaws and buying them in droves.

I will need a new one soon and will see what happens with whatever apple releases, because I guarantee that this model will be fixed, even though, they will never admit that there was anything wrong with it.

Well wait a second there. You complain that people don’t believe you or are exaggerating, but then you make blanket statements about anyone who is happy about the new ipad pros and say they are blind to a flawed product. Now, i am sorry you are unhappy. But don’t lump me in with being a blind apple fanboy. I have returned many apple devices over the years for various reasons. But there is absolutely NOTHING wrong with my 11” LTE ipad pro. It is the best Apple device i have ever owned. Its not bent. Its solid and beautifully built. None of my many artist friends here in NYC have issues with theirs either. So...if you dont like yours, return it. Complain all you want. Thats what forums are for. But don’t say we are all blind apple fanboys cause we don’t have any issues with our new ipad pros.

My suggestion is to stop being miserable, and just buy something else. Or wait until the next ipad pro. Cause at this point, there are obviously two very different camps when it comes to the new pros. And i dont think either camp is going to convince the other.

neomorpheus

macrumors regular
Dec 17, 2014
Well wait a second there. You complain that people don’t believe you or are exaggerating, but then you make blanket statements about anyone who is happy about the new ipad pros and say they are blind to a flawed product. Now, i am sorry you are unhappy. But don’t lump me in with being a blind apple fanboy. I have returned many apple devices over the years for various reasons. But there is absolutely NOTHING wrong with my 11” LTE ipad pro. It is the best Apple device i have ever owned. Its not bent. Its solid and beautifully built. None of my many artist friends here in NYC have issues with theirs either. So...if you dont like yours, return it. Complain all you want. Thats what forums are for. But don’t say we are all blind apple fanboys cause we don’t have any issues with our new ipad pros.

My suggestion is to stop being miserable, and just buy something else. Or wait until the next ipad pro. Cause at this point, there are obviously two very different camps when it comes to the new pros. And i don't think either camp is going to convince the other.
Sorry dude, but reading comprehension failed you.

One, i didn't reply to you.

Two, i said several times that i don't have one, cannot justify the price asked because its a very flawed product.

Three, the rabid fanbois are the ones ignoring the issues of this and other apple products, instead they go on and on how everyone else is “holding it wrong “ or any other silly excuses on behalf of a favorite brand.

Last, I already stated that i will wait for the revision, because it will happen, its not the first time that apple or other corporation try to pass a fast one to their blind loyal customers. If at that time, the ipad pro or the next regular ipad is a flimsy mess, i will defines buy something else, somewhere else.

I don’t worship brands or corporations and wont get my money that easily.

Last edited:

Greenmeenie

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2013
Dude. Whatever. I don’t whorship brands either. And my reading comprehension is fine. What i have issue with is your blanket statement that the new ipad pro is a flawed product and that anyone who disagrees with you is an ignorant blind fanboy. There is nothing wrong with 99.9% of the new ipad pros. That my friend is not a flaw. That is whats called an anomoly.

Sorry you hate the new ipad pro so much. Thats great you’re waiting for when YOU think it’s right time to buy the next one. But don’t try to scare or convince those looking to buy one now that they are fools if they do...or that the vast majority of us who are currently enjoying ours are somehow blind. We aren’t. My ipad pro is perfectly straight and i love it. All my friends new ipad pros aren’t bent. None of the hundreds of artists i follow on youtube have bent ipad pros. The majority of people here don’t either.

If you are so scared, or so convinced this ipad pro is sub par(it isn’t)...then fine. Don’t buy it. I am happy for you...however irrational your fear of bending ipads is..you have made your decision. But i don’t get why you...a person who doesn’t even own one of the new ipad pros...feels the need to try to convince others not to buy one.

If i respond to posts like this, it’s to balance out the fear mongering with some sober clear headed reality. People...do NOT be afraid to buy one of the new ipad pros. If you need a new pro now...buy one without fear. It is the best ipad i have ever bought and in my opinion, the best one Apple has ever produced. A beautifully designed, SOLID device. And if you want to wait until the next one, by all means do. But there is absolutely nothing flawed about the new ipad pro tho.

Enjoy!
[doublepost=1547611416][/doublepost]And keep in mind. If you do wait until the next ipad pro...which probably won’t arrive until 2020...even if Apple does say they reenforced it to appease you...you KNOW there is going to be some bonehead out there who is going to bend it on youtube for clicks. And then there will be an all new bendgate hysteria.

Cause lets face it, no matter how much Apple reenforces the next ipad...it will still be a thin slab. They aren’t going to make it as thick as the first ipad. And youtubers have bent every single ipad out that was ever released. They will bend the next one.

So i don’t think this debate will ever end. There will always be people saying the next ipad pro is too expensive and bends too easily.

Reactions: Kiimora

Ryan0751

macrumors regular
Nov 4, 2013
Just got a 12.9" LTE 1TB. I swore it was completely flat, but under the right light, yes you can see a slight bend at the cellular bands. I'm extremely anal retentive with my devices, and I even thought this was very minor.

What isn't minor is that I just notice 3 perfect straight, 1/4-1/2" faint parallel scratches on the screen near the bezel. Looks like a part of the manufacturing process likely created these.

Not OK. Returning it and am not sure I want to replace it at this point, or just keep my 2017 12.9". The new form factor is wonderful, but this is quite a disappointment for a $2k device.

Freida

Suspended
Oct 22, 2010
Dude. Whatever. I don’t whorship brands either. And my reading comprehension is fine. What i have issue with is your blanket statement that the new ipad pro is a flawed product and that anyone who disagrees with you is an ignorant blind fanboy. There is nothing wrong with 99.9% of the new ipad pros. That my friend is not a flaw. That is whats called an anomoly.

Sorry you hate the new ipad pro so much. Thats great you’re waiting for when YOU think it’s right time to buy the next one. But don’t try to scare or convince those looking to buy one now that they are fools if they do...or that the vast majority of us who are currently enjoying ours are somehow blind. We aren’t. My ipad pro is perfectly straight and i love it. All my friends new ipad pros aren’t bent. None of the hundreds of artists i follow on youtube have bent ipad pros. The majority of people here don’t either.

If you are so scared, or so convinced this ipad pro is sub par(it isn’t)...then fine. Don’t buy it. I am happy for you...however irrational your fear of bending ipads is..you have made your decision. But i don’t get why you...a person who doesn’t even own one of the new ipad pros...feels the need to try to convince others not to buy one.

If i respond to posts like this, it’s to balance out the fear mongering with some sober clear headed reality. People...do NOT be afraid to buy one of the new ipad pros. If you need a new pro now...buy one without fear. It is the best ipad i have ever bought and in my opinion, the best one Apple has ever produced. A beautifully designed, SOLID device. And if you want to wait until the next one, by all means do. But there is absolutely nothing flawed about the new ipad pro tho.

Enjoy!
[doublepost=1547611416][/doublepost]And keep in mind. If you do wait until the next ipad pro...which probably won’t arrive until 2020...even if Apple does say they reenforced it to appease you...you KNOW there is going to be some bonehead out there who is going to bend it on youtube for clicks. And then there will be an all new bendgate hysteria.

Cause lets face it, no matter how much Apple reenforces the next ipad...it will still be a thin slab. They aren’t going to make it as thick as the first ipad. And youtubers have bent every single ipad out that was ever released. They will bend the next one.

So i don’t think this debate will ever end. There will always be people saying the next ipad pro is too expensive and bends too easily.
I agree with the other guy. You don't read properly and you insert statements in people's mouths. You react to things that were not said and you make the case on that and when its pointed out to you you still don't look at your actions and you make the statement even worse. Read what was said in my post (again), then read what he responded to and then re-read your responds to that. I'm sure you will notice why you are making it uncomfortable.

And just FYI, Apple recalled many products in the past even though 99% of those products were totally fine so your analogy is not correct either. And just to clarify - I'm not saying that Apple will do recall on this one. I'm just illustrating a point.

So please, consider both sides just like we did.

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
It's possible they might take a look at weak points and reinforce them as they did with the 6 plus (side buttons i believe) though any major structural changes will almost certainly not be forthcoming. I wonder if the next revision will use 7000 series aluminium like the iPhone? I take it it's more expensive than 6000 and that's why they're not already using it?

Reactions: Freida

Greenmeenie

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2013
I agree with the other guy. You don't read properly and you insert statements in people's mouths. You react to things that were not said and you make the case on that and when its pointed out to you you still don't look at your actions and you make the statement even worse. Read what was said in my post (again), then read what he responded to and then re-read your responds to that. I'm sure you will notice why you are making it uncomfortable.

And just FYI, Apple recalled many products in the past even though 99% of those products were totally fine so your analogy is not correct either. And just to clarify - I'm not saying that Apple will do recall on this one. I'm just illustrating a point.

So please, consider both sides just like we did.

So you agree with the other guy? Hmm. With all due respect, he didn’t consider both sides at all! Here is just a snippet of what the “other guy” wrote:

“This ipad pro is a very flawed device and its a shame that people are ignoring those flaws and buying them in droves.” - HE is the one totally dismissing and not considering the opinion of the vast majority of ipad pro buyers.

So EXCUSE me for responding! Lol. Seriously. What he writes about is an opinion...not FACT. He infers(rather condecendingly i might add) that the ipad pros are all flawed, and it’s such a shame people are ignoring those flaws and buying it in droves.

A shame? Really? Because the vast majority of people are LOVING the new ipad pros. The vast majority have no issues at all with them. He doesn’t even OWN one!!! If he doesn’t want to buy it, fine. But why is he so upset then that others are buying it and loving it? So I point this out, and I’m the one with the problem? Gimme a break.

Next.

Last edited:

Freida

Suspended
Oct 22, 2010
So you agree with the other guy? Hmm. With all due respect, he didn’t consider both sides at all! Here is just a snippet of what the “other guy” wrote:

“This ipad pro is a very flawed device and its a shame that people are ignoring those flaws and buying them in droves.” - HE is the one totally dismissing and not considering the opinion of the vast majority of ipad pro buyers.

So EXCUSE me for responding! Lol. Seriously. What he writes about is an opinion...not FACT. He infers(rather condecendingly i might add) that the ipad pros are all flawed, and it’s such a shame people are ignoring those flaws and buying it in droves.

A shame? Really? Because the vast majority of people are LOVING the new ipad pros. The vast majority have no issues at all with them. He doesn’t even OWN one!!! If he doesn’t want to buy it, fine. But why is he so upset then that others are buying it and loving it? So I point this out, and I’m the one with the problem? Gimme a break.

Next.
He was responding to my post where I clearly expressed my concerns. The agreeing part was to the fact that you didn't read correctly and you are now doing it again to me.
Regardless, if you are confused, just read my post because I believe its maybe easier to understand why I stand where I stand. Ok?
[doublepost=1547655103][/doublepost]
Yup, it's not a widespread issue and you can always return if you happen to buy one that is bent.
Of course you can. I think the worry people have (myself included) is not the 14 days window but rather longevity of the iPad. I think its a valid point to be concerned. I still have iPhone 6 and no bent at all but that doesn't change the fact that it was structurally weaker device then previous phones and some people don't pamper their phones like maybe you or me. Apple realised that and fixed it with iPhone 6S which used stronger metal and some minor tweaks. Now we can say its non issue but iPhone 6 was an 'issue'. It did get overblown but it was an issue regardless.

Same worry is now happening with the iPad. I think we can safely assume that next revision will introduce some tweaks. Especially at these prices :-D

Greenmeenie

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2013
He was responding to my post where I clearly expressed my concerns. The agreeing part was to the fact that you didn't read correctly and you are now doing it again to me.
Regardless, if you are confused, just read my post because I believe its maybe easier to understand why I stand where I stand. Ok?

First of all...This is a forum. A FORUM...HELLO! A place where people can respond to ANY post. You keep saying he was responding to my post or I was responding to his post. So what? I can respond to any post I want. Especially when people...such as the poster you so vigorously defend and agree with...make post after post with blanket statements like how the vast majority of people who are buying the new ipad pros are blind fan boys who are ignoring the flaws. WRONG. The vast majority of people who buy the new ipad pro love it...and don’t have these flaws at all.

This guy doesn’t even OWN the new ipad pro! That is the point i am making.

If you can’t see that, perhaps it is you who cannot read correctly.

Look. I don't have an issue with someone not wanting to buy the new ipad pro. Do whatever you want. I am totally cool with that. But i am allowed to comment in an open forum when someone is saying the vast majority of people are ignoring flaws on a product he doesn’t even own.

Theres a difference between saying you personlly aren’t going to buy a product because you think it’s flawed, and saying those who are buying that product and loving it are just blind fanboys who are ignoring the flaws.

That is so friggin condescending and ignorant. No. The reality is, the vast majority of us new ipad pro owners don’t have flawed devices. Period.

Freida

Suspended
Oct 22, 2010
First of all...This is a forum. A FORUM...HELLO! A place where people can respond to ANY post. You keep saying he was responding to my post or I was responding to his post. So what? I can respond to any post I want. Especially when people...such as the poster you so vigorously defend and agree with...make post after post with blanket statements like how the vast majority of people who are buying the new ipad pros are blind fan boys who are ignoring the flaws. WRONG. The vast majority of people who buy the new ipad pro love it...and don’t have these flaws at all.

This guy doesn’t even OWN the new ipad pro! That is the point i am making.

If you can’t see that, perhaps it is you who cannot read correctly.

Look. I don't have an issue with someone not wanting to buy the new ipad pro. Do whatever you want. I am totally cool with that. But i am allowed to comment in an open forum when someone is saying the vast majority of people are ignoring flaws on a product he doesn’t even own.

Theres a difference between saying you personlly aren’t going to buy a product because you think it’s flawed, and saying those who are buying that product and loving it are just blind fanboys who are ignoring the flaws.

That is so friggin condescending and ignorant. No. The reality is, the vast majority of us new ipad pro owners don’t have flawed devices. Period.
Ok, I've tried but you don't seem to be willing to understand the discussion here and you keep going sideways.
Because this will go in circles, lets just leave it and move on. I think its a wise choice as this point.
I can see the misunderstandings here but the conversation is not getting better so lets just move on. Ok? Better for everyone

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
[doublepost=1547655103][/doublepost]
Of course you can. I think the worry people have (myself included) is not the 14 days window but rather longevity of the iPad. I think its a valid point to be concerned. I still have iPhone 6 and no bent at all but that doesn't change the fact that it was structurally weaker device then previous phones and some people don't pamper their phones like maybe you or me. Apple realised that and fixed it with iPhone 6S which used stronger metal and some minor tweaks. Now we can say its non issue but iPhone 6 was an 'issue'. It did get overblown but it was an issue regardless.

Same worry is now happening with the iPad. I think we can safely assume that next revision will introduce some tweaks. Especially at these prices :-D

Well I personally wouldn't worry. Once you hold the iPad in your hands and confirm it is not bent, you can see that it isn't going to bend any easier than a previous iPad. This one feels more solid to me than any other iPad I have owned. Ultimately it comes down to the individual, but I wouldn't personally worry about it at all if I were buying.

Greenmeenie

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2013
Well I personally wouldn't worry. Once you hold the iPad in your hands and confirm it is not bent, you can see that it isn't going to bend any easier than a previous iPad. This one feels more solid to me than any other iPad I have owned. Ultimately it comes down to the individual, but I wouldn't personally worry about it at all if I were buying.

Thank you. A voice of reason. Totally agree. This is a solid device. And the message i try to send to potential buyers is the same as you. Don’t be discouraged by the fear mongering. Take it from people like you or me who actually own the device. But more importantly, go down to the Apple store and hold one yourself. Feel how solid it is. Then make your decision.

To be honest, I am so much more worried about cracking my screen(which i have done on previous ipads) than i am of this new ipad pro bending. Totally overblown fear in my opinion. And i travel a lot.

But anyway, it’s all good. Opinions vary. All i know is that this is the best ipad I have ever owned. Love this thing.
[doublepost=1547658671][/doublepost]
Ok, I've tried but you don't seem to be willing to understand the discussion here and you keep going sideways.
Because this will go in circles, lets just leave it and move on. I think its a wise choice as this point.
I can see the misunderstandings here but the conversation is not getting better so lets just move on. Ok? Better for everyone

Totally cool with me. Peace, and be well. It’s all good. Opinions vary. All i will say to potential buyers out there, is to not be afraid of all the fear mongering about flaws. Especially from those who don’t even own the new ipad pro. This is an amazing device. Probably the best ipad Apple has ever made. Take it from someone who actually owns it. Better still..Go down to your local Apple Store and see for yourself how solid and well constructed it is. Then decide. Cheers!

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden

Agree on the wifi 11" wifi Pro. I'm personally not convinced about the 11" LTE version - mine was pretty seriously warped and looking at the antenna breaks in the side, it appears to be weaker than the wifi version, by design. It's hard to tell without seeing a teardown - too bad that iFixit didn't tear one of those apart.

Greenmeenie

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2013
Agree on the wifi 11" wifi Pro. I'm personally not convinced about the 11" LTE version - mine was pretty seriously warped and looking at the antenna breaks in the side, it appears to be weaker than the wifi version, by design. It's hard to tell without seeing a teardown - too bad that iFixit didn't tear one of those apart.

My 11” LTE ipad pro is straight as a board. So i dunno. I also hope iFixit does a teardown of the LTE model. Hope it aleviates some of the fear out there. Personally, i never get an ipad without LTE cause i travel a lot and love the freedom to be connected wherever i go.

Reactions: PetterPan

Eugr

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2018
Yup, it's not a widespread issue and you can always return if you happen to buy one that is bent.

In my case, all 3 of the ones I bought (one 11” and two 12.9”, all LTE) were bent, so it can get frustrating very fast. There was a poster here who had 4 bent ones in the row. I hope they will fix their manufacturing process or tighten QC standards, so I may try to get a warranty replacement in a few months... it doesn’t bother me too much, but this is the first time I have a bent device out of the box. The second time if counting Microsoft Surface Pro 3 that I had before. It was curved, not bent though.

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
In my case, all 3 of the ones I bought (one 11” and two 12.9”, all LTE) were bent, so it can get frustrating very fast. There was a poster here who had 4 bent ones in the row. I hope they will fix their manufacturing process or tighten QC standards, so I may try to get a warranty replacement in a few months... it doesn’t bother me too much, but this is the first time I have a bent device out of the box. The second time if counting Microsoft Surface Pro 3 that I had before. It was curved, not bent though.

That's fair, I know there is an issue with some, but I don't feel it's that widespread and I trust Apple is correcting the issue quietly.
[doublepost=1547669751][/doublepost]

Yea I guess I should specify that I am really only looking at my own experiences to make that call, but I have to think Apple is quietly working to address the issue and replace all the bent iPad's with straight ones.

drew0020

macrumors 68020
Nov 10, 2006
That's fair, I know there is an issue with some, but I don't feel it's that widespread and I trust Apple is correcting the issue quietly.
[doublepost=1547669751][/doublepost]

Yea I guess I should specify that I am really only looking at my own experiences to make that call, but I have to think Apple is quietly working to address the issue and replace all the bent iPad's with straight ones.
Every single 11" LTE iPad Pro i've seen (about 12 now) has the bend at the breaks near the antenna lines, but only when viewed at a certain angle. I think it's pretty disappointing, but the bend is extremely minor. I have until February 1 to decide if I am going to return mine. Still not sure what to do...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.