Think the retina display is impressive?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by lilcosco08, Oct 25, 2010.

1. ohaithar macrumors 6502a

ohaithar

Why yes, the fruits on the screen look very delicious.

2. rkmac macrumors 6502

rkmac

3. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

IF you can't even see the pixels, what's the purpose in making them smaller?

4. vastoholic macrumors 68000

vastoholic

+1. I don't see the point. The iPhone 4 already exceeds the eyes ability to discern pixels. Why make it even smaller.

5. xyphr3 macrumors member

I am an optometry. I took my iPhone 4 and looked at the screen with my slit lamp (which is basically a microscope) and I am impressed with pixels. I counted how many were in a 1x1mm square, but I forgot already.

6. vistadude macrumors 65816

You can get more colors by having more pixels, and you get far more zoom ability if you have more pixels, even if you can't discern individual pixels.

7. The General macrumors 601

more colors? lol what are you talking about :rolleyes:

8. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

I don't even get what he's saying by zoom more clearly. If there are more pixels in an image file, it will zoom better, but how does more pixels in the screen make something more zoomable?

9. The General macrumors 601

If the image is the same resolution as the screen, and your screen is 500dpi, and your eyes can only detect 300dpi, then you can zoom the image quite a way without your eyes being able to detect any pixelation.

But it makes no difference, because most of the photos i see on my iPhone screen are higher resolution than the screen, so when I zoom them, i actually get more detail.

10. vistadude macrumors 65816

Cause 4 or more pixels can combine as a one superpixel, and make colors smooth. It's called binning, and is common in scientific grade cameras.

11. drjsway macrumors 6502a

The education system has failed you. I'm so sorry.

12. strodda macrumors regular

Remind me never to have my eyes checked by you. Btw, you are an optometrist... although I'm sure you already knew that, but forgot.

13. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

For those asking, the more pixels the better. Why? You see a much more crisp and real image.

14. lbro macrumors 6502a

lbro

It could be that he doesn't speak English very well, which is why he said optometry.

15. The General macrumors 601

Oh come on! Now you're just making stuff up. :rolleyes:

16. vistadude macrumors 65816

You get more dynamic range! :D

Anyways, more pixels = newer developments in screen technology. They push for newer displays like SLCD and AMOLED when they push for more pixels.

17. thunderboltspro macrumors regular

Yes its amazing but.... release date of 5 to ten years and costing an arm and a leg.

18. sirslaysalot macrumors member

yes, but like in case of most phones, it doesn't make a difference. how far away from your face do you place your phone when you're using it ? even in the case of the iphone, it doesn't make much sense to squeeze a 720p display into a 3.5" screen. is it possible right now ? i'm pretty sure it is. maybe if apple goes ahead and does an iphone hd with a 4.3" screen then maybe it'll make sense. otherwise no.

19. Zildjian242 macrumors member

Its called an Optometrist, Opthamologist, or Optician (which i am).... Nice try

20. Pez555 macrumors 68000

Pez555

some of you are missing a very important aspect.

the 326 pixels per inch that Apple use in their retina display ARE noticable if you are viewing from a distance less than 12 inches (if you have good eyes). Take a look yourself up close.

12 inches and beyond the human eye cannot detect the pixels. Mr Jobs even said this himself at WWDC.

if you actually think you cannot detect the pixels because Apple say so then im afriad the education system has failed YOU.

a higher pixel count IS beneficial if you are viewing from a closer distance, as the edges will appear smooth throughout the image.

21. Roofy. macrumors 6502a

Actually you can see the pixels on the iphone 4

22. Hankcah macrumors regular

The screen wont be any good unless its on an Apple iPhone. Hence. Who cares if they have a billion pixels if they dont have (say an xbox) hooked up with HDMI. Give android users any screen they want, doesn't make it an iPhone.

I can't imagine the retina display much better than it is now. Yes im sure there is room for improvement but its killer now.

HD display hooked up to a PC is still a PC. (may get flamed for this PC bash)

Nice find on the display tho, any more sources?

23. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Only applies at greater than I believe 18 in from eyes. Under that range on iphone4 higher ppi would help.

Just figured that I would point out that I read coments like this back when 3G was getting hammered in screen resolution. Apple fans said what was the point on a small screen.

24. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Thank you. Exactly.

There is NO hardcoded eye limit of 300 dpi. The eye limit is usually defined as subtending .3 arc-minute, or .005 degrees, in your vision field. In other words, if you're close up, the dots have to be tiny to not be visible individually. If you're a mile away, they can be huge.

At 12", it works out to be 300dpi. Aka "print resolution".

Apple simply took the typical "print resolution" number of 300 dpi at 12" from the eyes of a fairly normal person, and applied the idea to their display (*)

Of course, printers go way past 300 dpi now, and that's because the increased resolution does make for a nicer printout, especially up close.

(*) Apple could've just said it was "print resolution", but 311 ppi WinMo smartphones had already used that in their ads a year or two before. No doubt that played a part in their coming up with a new marketing name. No way did they want to be seen as followers.