Thinking about going from 6 to 6+...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by coconilla, Nov 8, 2014.

1. coconilla macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,

I used to have an iphone 4, but left it for a bigger-screened Android phones.
    I've had S3 and Note 3. Liked them both but the OS was just too buggy.

When I saw iphone 6 at the apple store, I immediately fell in love.
    At that time, I thought 6+ was just too big. It was technically bigger than note 3 I had.

So I went with 6, I LOVE the phone, but now I'm having second thoughts...

Now I want 6+! You can call me crazy, but seriously.
    My coworker has + and I just keep staring at it every time I walk by her desk.

Since I cannot return my 6, should I just sell my 6 and get 6+?
    Please help! Thanks. :)

2. VoilaiPhone macrumors regular

If you want that buttery smooth performance, stick to ur 6. I have a 6+ its not as smooth as 6 in terms of UI

3. maka344 macrumors 6502a

maka344

Rubbish.

Go with the plus, the battery and screen will blow you away. I went for the 6 and then the thoughts about the plus started to creep in and bang, I have a plus and wouldn't look back

4. Tthomas612 macrumors 65816

Tthomas612

There's pros and cons to both!

The plus has better battery life and a better screen. Plus OIS.

However those things on the 6 are not bad at all either. Plus the regular 6 runs much smoother then the 6+ as
    The plus does experience some lag issues

5. Sean76 macrumors 6502a

Sean76

I have em both at the moment and have to say it's a pretty tough decision to pick which one is better day to day.

I'm both an Android and iOS user and have been so for a while now, I've owned countless big phones through out my years and never really thought twice about the size of phones these days. My hands are a little bigger then average but I can't sit here and say the 6+ feels great in the hand. Honestly speaking it's not a really comfortable phone, one can definitely get more used to it over time, but unless you have really gigantic hands it'll never feel as good as the regular 6 feels in the hand. My sisters boyfriend has it and he's 6'7 and it looks like a regular 6 in his hands, so for him its a great choice.

However for people that aren't quite that big it may be a challenge to really use day to day. I've seen a few girls with the plus already and it's really amazing how many people have taken a liking to big phones these days.

My issue is that I can benefit from using a plus because I like the extra screen real estate because I do a ton of media with my devices, and take tons of pics. But day to day it just feels really really big, one handed use while doable is just not as natural and easy as it is on the regular 6. Gone is that simplicity! And I'm sorry but I feel both phones take exactly the same pics and video, I see zero difference in video or pics taken with either device. Maybe they forgot to put OIS in the plus....lol

I have about 10 days to decide if the plus will be my next day to day device, or if it'll be going back to Apple.

6. yaboyac29 macrumors 6502a

6+ is better. you get used to the size within a few days.

7. coconilla thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, I've heard that a lot here and there that it's not comfortable enough to hold.

And that's why I hesitate - because with the note 3, my hands got really tired when I was holding it in my bed.
    I'm only 5'4 and have small hands.

I believe 6 is really the perfect size for me but I'm so spoiled, I want the larger screen of +.

Oh well, I can't even get + from anywhere even if I want to, so I guess I would wait and see.

Thanks for your replies, everyone.

8. lax28 macrumors regular

lax28

Went through same situation. Had the 6, got second thoughts and just purchased a 6+. After 1 week of using it, I am going to keep it. The extra screen space, landscape views and battery make it more than worth it. It does take some getting used to, not sure I am fully used to it yet but I know if I keep my 6, I will always be "wanting" a plus when I see one.

I purchased both at Apple Store, and just inquired about returning the 6 even though it is past 14 days...Apple is willing to do that since I purchased the plus, I just need to have AT&T reset my upgrade eligibility w/o an ETF since its past 14 days. If not, shouldn't be too hard to sell it on eBay or Craigslist.

Both are great phones. Good luck with deciding which is the perfect one for you.

9. shr631 macrumors member

What did you say to Apple to let you return after 14 days?Was it a difficult proposition or were they easy about it?

10. Nextel000 macrumors newbie

How long past the 14 days were you when you requested to exchange it? I'm wanting to exchange mine for the plus but, past the 14 days I purchsed it full retail on sept. 21.

11. lax28 macrumors regular

lax28

Purchased 6 on launch day....actually buddy upgraded another line on my account last Saturday. Was in the store today and explained to manager what I did thinking I was past 14 days by a lot and there wouldn't be anything they could do, was actually see if they were doing trade ins yet on Apple Gift card, (no not yet on the 6). He said he could take back as long as both were purchased from Apple. Only issue is after 14 days AT&T will charge ETF to account. I am trying to get CS to reset my upgrade or at least not charge my account 300+ for ETF. If I can get AT&T to do that phone is being returned today.

12. Jase718 macrumors member

Do it! I did and I have absolutely no regrets!

13. bizack macrumors 6502

I just made this switch. It's definitely easier (for obvious reasons) going from a 6 to a 6 Plus (vs going from a 5 to a 6 Plus). Fits fine in my back pocket (I don't sit down with my phone in my pocket though... never did). There is UI lag, and I'm not sure if that will ever be resolved (I was looking through the 8.1.1 beta release notes, and although I can't say anything explicit, there aren't any performance improvements listed for the 6 or 6 Plus). But the screen, battery life and portrait mode for $100 more is totally worth it.
    I suggest getting the 128GB model, because content (application assets, videos, photos, etc) is almost 300% larger than what was on the iPhone 5 (taking pixel density into account).

14. ELPresidente720 macrumors 6502

Honestly I've got one foot (or at least a couple toes) in the same boat. The 6 is perfect for me as-is, but after playing with the 6+ at the Apple Store I've begun to second guess myself a bit.

If anything, it's just evidence that Apple makes a great product such that either version can ultimately satisfy.

15. Nextel000 macrumors newbie

Just did it!!!! Went to the Apple Store informed them that I have buyers remors for the 6 and wanted a 6 pluse even being past the 14 day period.They were very understanding and replaced it! Now I have a 6 plus and doing a restore as I'm typing this. Very satisfied I made the switch!

16. Bahroo macrumors 68000

I have a 6 plus and it is completely smooth, (I do have Reduce Motion on though) I went from a 6 to a 6 plus and honestly i am beyond happy and satisfied and gratified and everything i switched from a 6 to a Plus, it is alot better in my eyes... the screen is incredible, the battery life is stupendous.. i just enjoy the Plus so much more then the 6, and I dont think the Plus is too big at all, its nice and thin and pretty light.

----------

great choice, im beyond happy too i made the switch.. i dont think i could ever go back to a smaller screen now.

17. mofoliar macrumors regular

mofoliar

i just went to the 6+ passed up the 6,love the phone! Also had all different variants of phones,ios and android..apple did good with the +

18. Nextel000 macrumors newbie

I agree, the screen size and resolution is absolutely amazing. Apple made my day! Thanks Apple!

19. lax28 macrumors regular

lax28

Enjoy, I managed to get my situation taken care of, it would have been much easier if I had tried to just exchange. I assumed there was no way they would take it back at the time. It was suggested to me to try, it was a hassle as AT&T had to be involved but it all worked out.

The size is a bit of a draw back...but all the pros out weight that for me.

20. iHeartsteve macrumors 65816

iHeartsteve

Do you own an iPad or have used one for an extended period? If yes, then definitely get the plus bc you're already use to the large screen size. Most of us were hesitant since this is Apples first phablet. I swear I have the smallest hands (female) and I have become accustomed to the size. The only time I miss the one handed use is when I probably should be using only one hand. Any other time, the reachability feature works wonders.

If your finances allow, get the plus to try out for a week then sell the 6. Not sure how many plus'ers will trade with you ;)

21. pdaholic macrumors 6502a

pdaholic

I have the 6, but after a while wanted the 6+. I don't think I can go back to my 6. Biggest problem is that the 6+ is a little tight in my jeans, but the 6 is fine. 6+ fits fine in my scrubs pocket and I can run with it no problem. If only they made the top and bottom bezels shorter, the 6+ would be perfect. Well it also needs an extra gig of ram, but that's another story.

22. Chairman.Jobbie macrumors 6502

Its a trade off.

Its big. One handed (thumbed) use means your fingers won't be able to grip around the other side of the phone properly so it won't feel as easy / stable as it would with the 6. And putting it in your pocket and pulling it out is not smooth if in a rubbery case (i have apple silicon case on) - its big for your average pocket.

For me the screen size is such an enjoyable experience that I'm happy to adjust / live with the extra effort you need to apply on the occasions you need to use it one handed etc.

Ive had it since launch day, so over a month, and i love it. When i pickup my 5 (so small) or my brothers 6 i just couldn't go back to a smaller screen. I ordered both on launch day and the 6 hardly got looked at.. no chance against 6+.

I use it so much that my iPad is being used 75% less. This is exactly what i hoped for. I didnt want to have to carry an extra device around - like my iPad (or buy an iPad mini which i was considering) - it hardly leaves the house now. I do almost EVERYTHING ANYWHERE on my iPhone 6+ and it feels great to be able to do that.

But its different for everyone. The 6+ for me hit the spot - perfect device for ME.

23. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Only you can make the decision. Both phones are great and serve a need.
    Do you want a larger phone with a better battery or do you want one that is more hold able.?

I went with the 6 plus, but I could have very easily opted for the 6 if it weren't for the fact that I felt thee wasn't enough differences between my old phone and the 6 to justify spending the money.

24. jk4lebron23 macrumors 65816

jk4lebron23

The + is great!
    I haven't really noticed lag at all and only every now and then do things refresh, then again I don't keep 20 different things running either.

25. maka344 macrumors 6502a

maka344

I second this