Thinking of ditching the screen protector!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MrJM, Oct 26, 2015.

1. MrJM macrumors 6502

MrJM

Hi everyone.

I'm thinking of ditching the screen protector on my phone. I've used them as long as I can remember but recently I've found myself wanting to use it without. Don't like the feel of them!

What are people's experiences without one?

Thanks!

2. iphonedude2008 macrumors 65816

iphonedude2008

Tapatalk issues? I have never use one, and while it feels better, the phone gets scratched easily.

3. HEK macrumors 68030

HEK

Glass protector feels same to me as glass screen.
    Are you using plastic? Switch to glass.

4. iphonedude2008 macrumors 65816

iphonedude2008

If you're using a screen protector, it better be glass. Plastic is like taking a Ferrari and putting in cloth seats plastic trim.

5. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

I hate screen protectors. But I must admit the glass ones feel just like the screen.

6. iphonedude2008 macrumors 65816

iphonedude2008

Yes. The only problem is that the curved edges of the 6 design make them feel strange at the sides.

7. AbsynthMinded macrumors member

I never used screen protectors until I saw a couple of friends drop their phones and their tempered glass screen prevented their phone screen from cracking/shattering. Go with glass if you weren't using that before, otherwise these screens are hard enough that it shouldn't be a big deal for normal wear and tear.

8. iphonedude2008 macrumors 65816

iphonedude2008

Plastic film ones are the worst because they leave ugly bubbles and get oily and disgusting.

9. MrJM thread starter macrumors 6502

MrJM

Thanks for the replies! Yeah tapatalk was playing up when I tried to post! I've had the glass but don't like the way it looks on the edges! Looking for an edge to edge one but haven't been able to find one as yet!

10. AbsynthMinded, Oct 26, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2015

AbsynthMinded macrumors member

I don't think it would be a huge issue not to have one but if you are looking for a nice edge to edge glass protector I would try the Tech Armor edge to edge. It even comes with a life-time warranty for virtually anything that happens to the screen (your fault or not). I was able to pick one up on sale for US $7 but I think its typically $13 (a little more expensive but the cheapest edge to edge I have seen).

11. maxsix Suspended

maxsix

NO Screen Protectors...Never

I've had every iPhone since the original, never even the slightest of scratches. My wife tosses her phone in her purse, same result, no problem. I think one has to be pretty hard on it to get scratches... drop it? Screen breaks... so what? Replace it.

I'm super picky, my MBP, iPad, iPhone that I carry every single day looks like the day it came out of the package.

At least that's what many people say... "is that a new Mac? iPhone... whatever I have in hand... nope just being careful. Never baby it, just don't throw it around...ha..ha..ha... :D

12. Old Muley macrumors 6502a

Old Muley

I've never put a screen protector of any kind on my iPhone or either of my iPads. My phone is almost 2 years old and the screen still like great. As others have said, if you must add something to protect your screen, please use glass. I've honestly never seen one of those plastic screen covers that even looked remotely decent.

13. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

No screen protection for me either. Had every iPhone and never scratched my screen.

But not saying that is the best choice for all. Some, here, seem to have very bad luck or are abusive to their phones. I do not baby mine but just use common sense.

14. Eileen89 macrumors 65816

I just ordered an e2e glass screen protector on Amazon this past weekend for my 6S Plus. I'll let you know how well it looks and works when I put it on.

15. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

Fingers and pockets pick up microscopic grit from the world around us and I promise that all you 'never had a scratch' peeps will see countless scratches in the coating on your screen if you look at it critically under a bright light. I always use a screen protector but I stay away from the cheap and nasty ones that feel horrid to slide over, look horrid and affect the eyes due to not being crystal clear.

16. AppleMan2015 macrumors regular

AppleMan2015

Had the 6plus with one on Verizon.
    Ditched Verizon got the iPhone yearly program from sprint and Apple care. Now I don't have a screen protector on my 6s because there's no reason to keep it the "best" condition because I don't get much value for it if I'm just going to get a brand new one every year.

17. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

I've gone without a screen protector since the 6 plus (have a 6s plus now) and have been very happy. My 6 plus had some micro scratches that you could see at the right angle in sunlight but it didn't effect standard regular use of the phone.

I think these glass screens have come a long way with scratches resistance. They do still make some lovely curved glass screen protectors though if you're inclined to buy one.

18. Alkalidodo macrumors member

There is no phone made yet that doesn't need a protector,so be wise and keep on with it unless you have same plan like AppleMan.

19. myrtlebee macrumors 68000

myrtlebee

Simple, static cling HD clear screen protectors from Tech Armor - the 3-pack for only a few dollars - on Amazon are great. Actually feels better and smoother than the naked glass in my opinion.

No image distortion whatsoever. Also no orange peel effect (that is for those that use a wet solution to apply, not the static cling- avoid these types). If you install them properly you will not be able to tell it's even on your device. Anyone who winds up with bubbles has not done a proper installation - there are videos online that you can watch for installation. Use tape to remove small particles between the screen protector and the screen and you will have no bubbles whatsoever. Tech Armor also makes a glass version, but I have not tried these as I assume they would be much thicker.

Have been using these for years and they have saved me from scratches on my screens. I am exceptionally careful with my devices, but my first gen iPad obtained a scratch out of nowhere.

20. AppleMan2015 macrumors regular

AppleMan2015

Yeah I have those little micro scratches too it's so annoying.

21. Alkalidodo macrumors member

One of the best protector is certainly from Power Support USA. Wonderful Product!

22. tl01 macrumors 65816

I'm not using one now on my 6s plus but I did on and off with my 6. I did get a scratch on my 6 during a brief time when it didn't have a protector on it. I was surprised. I couldn't think of anything that would have scratched it during that time but it happened. It bothered me afterward. The phone had no other damage at all. Luckily the battery failed later and apple replaced it. I do put my phone in my purse at time but that day and the day before I hadn't bc I was using a tiny wristlet.

23. SisterBlue22 macrumors 6502

SisterBlue22

No screen protectors ever, here, and no scratches, micro or otherwise.

24. Wayward macrumors member

I never have used a screen protector, just the Apple leather case. But I carry only the iPhone in my right front pants pocket. No keys, change, nothing.