Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bounou

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 6, 2012
So I just picked up my new iPhone, i got a case for it and honestly it just looks so much better without.

I got AppleCare+ and am considering using it without a case, at lest until I manage to break it the first time lol.

What can I expect? I'm fairly active and with a case I managed to break my phone twice this year (on was water damage so hopefully not a problem this year).

In fairness I drop it pretty often but mostly at home on a hardwood floor.

Is this crazy? Is my phone going to be wrecked in the first month?

Cryates

macrumors 68040
Nov 19, 2013
I've ran careless for five years now. As long as you are even the slightest bit careful, it will be fine.

To be honest though, "why to expect" really depends on which color option you went with.

Reactions: clunkmess

electronicsguy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2015
Pune, India
So I just picked up my new iPhone, i got a case for it and honestly it just looks so much better without.

I got AppleCare+ and am considering using it without a case, at lest until I manage to break it the first time lol.

What can I expect? I'm fairly active and with a case I managed to break my phone twice this year (on was water damage so hopefully not a problem this year).

In fairness I drop it pretty often but mostly at home on a hardwood floor.

Is this crazy? Is my phone going to be wrecked in the first month?
what to expect? a broken phone in a few months.

joefrank64k

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2008
I've gone caseless since the original iPhone...that's 10 iPhones now, and I can't imagine ever using a case. The design of the phone just begs to be free of a case, IMHO. My iPhone always rides in my back pocket. Yes, I've dropped a few and cracked a screen here and there, but that's what AC+ and AT&T insurance is for, right? :D

For specialized applications (rock climbing, long range hiking, etc) I throw it in a Lifeproof case, but then take it out of the case once I'm back to normal activities. With the 7+ being water/dust resistant, I will probably be doing that less and less, though.

Reactions: vdor and appygirl82

RIPstevejobs

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2011
never used a case over 6 years and 3-4 iphones. ive cracked a screen once. my phones have gotten a bit dented up, but that became part of the phone, and didnt make it any less usable. would never use a case.

Reactions: clunkmess

Decept1k0n

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2008
Honolulu, Hawaii
From my own personal experience, I'd highly recommend getting some sort of case or even a shell for the phone. I had the unfortunate luck recently, of dropping my JB 7+ onto concrete yesterday and it cracked the screen.

Although the phone didn't drop from a very high height, say maybe 3 feet or less, the damage to the screen was still pretty horrendous. The sad thing is that it looked like it fell flat onto the screen but I think what happened is that it bounced ever so slightly after hitting the ground due to the marks I saw on 3 of the corners.

Unfortunately for me I didn't yet have AppleCare nor did I have a case because the one I ordered online didn't come in yet, but the guys at the Genius Bar have ordered me a full replacement phone at the cost of $149. Being that the price they're charging for the replacement phone is the same as the cost of the screen replacement without AppleCare, I'd say I'm getting off pretty lucky. They didn't do the screen replacement at the store because the phone is so new & they didn't have the proper tools or training to re-seal it properly so it would remain waterproof and they also didn't have replacement units on-hand either which was no surprise.

So yeah, I'd say vote for getting a case for sure but that's because of my own recent personal experience!

152p06a.jpg

Lobwedgephil

Contributor
Apr 7, 2012
From my own personal experience, I'd highly recommend getting some sort of case or even a shell for the phone. I had the unfortunate luck recently, of dropping my JB 7+ onto concrete yesterday and it cracked the screen.

Although the phone didn't drop from a very high height, say maybe 3 feet or less, the damage to the screen was still pretty horrendous. The sad thing is that it looked like it fell flat onto the screen but I think what happened is that it bounced ever so slightly after hitting the ground due to the marks I saw on 3 of the corners.

Unfortunately for me I didn't yet have AppleCare nor did I have a case because the one I ordered online didn't come in yet, but the guys at the Genius Bar have ordered me a full replacement phone at the cost of $149. Being that the price they're charging for the replacement phone is the same as the cost of the screen replacement without AppleCare, I'd say I'm getting off pretty lucky. They didn't do the screen replacement at the store because the phone is so new & they didn't have the proper tools or training to re-seal it properly so it would remain waterproof and they also didn't have replacement units on-hand either which was no surprise.

So yeah, I'd say vote for getting a case for sure but that's because of my own recent personal experience!

152p06a.jpg
[/QUOTE

Dang, first JB down I've seen. Ouch.

Decept1k0n

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2008
Honolulu, Hawaii
Yeah, that was pretty much the reaction all my co-workers had as well as the Genius Bar employees. The good news is that the replacement phone they ordered for me should be here by mid-next week so I won't have to put up with using this cracked one for too long.

Techexp2

macrumors member
Feb 23, 2016
It is better to put a case as it prevents the mobile from scratches, airborne dust, liquid spills and more

Decept1k0n

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2008
Honolulu, Hawaii
Nice, glad it will work out, not a bad deal considering.
I totally agree, I'm glad that the price I'm paying monetarily & timewise isn't great. I already bought another case from the Apple store before I left, just in case the one I ordered doesn't arrive by the time my replacement phone does. I'm also definitely going to add AppleCare before I leave the store too!

bounou

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 6, 2012
Yeah, that was pretty much the reaction all my co-workers had as well as the Genius Bar employees. The good news is that the replacement phone they ordered for me should be here by mid-next week so I won't have to put up with using this cracked one for too long.

Ok well that picture scared me straight :(

Reactions: udontno

CaptMarvel

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2014
North Carolina

152p06a.jpg

Maybe all of those apps made it too heavy to hold? :eek: Kidding. Glad you were able to get a replacement for not too much. I'm still waiting on a screen protector for mine.

piecookie

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2012
Nope, caseless here, but I am using AppleCare+.

From personal experiences, the more you try to be careful with your device, the more likely you are to actually break/drop it.

thegrants82

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2013
Right here
I've gone caseless since the original iPhone...that's 10 iPhones now, and I can't imagine ever using a case. The design of the phone just begs to be free of a case, IMHO. My iPhone always rides in my back pocket. Yes, I've dropped a few and cracked a screen here and there, but that's what AC+ and AT&T insurance is for, right? :D

For specialized applications (rock climbing, long range hiking, etc) I throw it in a Lifeproof case, but then take it out of the case once I'm back to normal activities. With the 7+ being water/dust resistant, I will probably be doing that less and less, though.
That's not caseless. When you say that you have been caseless except for.....that's not caseless.

BrianSoCal

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2011
Houston, TX

152p06a.jpg
Ouch, so sorry!! How long do you have to wait for the replacement?

callihan_44

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2016
I hate screen protectors and cases, avoid them both...when it comes to large phones a case makes it even harder to pocket the phone so im willing to take the risk going case free . Ive had cases in the past get crud inside them and end up scratching or rubbing the finish off corners of the phone anyway

Reactions: karmamule

karmamule

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2008
Waltham, MA
I've never used a case on any of my phones and :::: knock on wood ::::: have never had any major damage. Yeah I get minor scuffs and scrapes on the back, but that doesn't bother me.

The first night with my shiny new 7+ I dropped it about 3 to 4 feet onto a hardwood floor face-down, but my luck held and no damage whatsoever. It's worth the risk for me to enjoy the lighter/slimmer feel of using the phone bare w/o a case. But, yeah, it is a risk. Especially since you have AppleCare+ and as long as money for a deductible wouldn't be a hardship then I'd say yes go for it.

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
I considered going caseless until I picked up my Black 7+. I almost dropped it right away because of how slippery it is. I like very minimal bulk, so caseless would be awesome, but I prefer a little more grip. I am going with the Caudabe Veil XT in Stealth Black. I have had their cases before and it's super thin (I think 0.4 mm), protects the phone from minor drops, and adds grip to it as well. I would suggest something along these lines, it's as close to caseless as you can get.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.