Thinking of going caseless... [MERGED]

CrownVic

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2016
Hah that makes more sense. Must have been shocking when it slipped yea.. I've been thinking of getting the :apple: Case too but the bottom opening is just too big.. I've dinged my iPad before due to the smart cover magnet area not covered by a back case so that opening doesn't give me peace of mind
Yeah it was quite a shock! Nothing was damaged, but I figure the leather case will give it some more grip. It will also relive my habit of wiping the back of fingerprints every time I use it :p Actually when it fell out of my pocket onto the car floor it hit the metal bracket holding the seat and the area hit would not have been covered by the apple case! I didn't feel too bad about that one lol.

itsmilo

macrumors 68030
Sep 15, 2016
Europe
I went caseless on my golden iPhone 6 cuz i just cant deal with cases but it now looks like someone was cutting sushi on it. I also drop it at least 3 times a months so it got some bumps on the frame. Therefore i am going to force myself to use a very thin transparent case on my matt black 7 Plus Never ever gonna use a skin protector tho. I dont have one on my iPhone 6 and the screen is the only thing still wothout scratches even though it fell twice on its display and slid across the concrete ground (i must be very lucky)

Minhimalism

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2012
Texas
Still going caseless 90% of the time on my black 7 Plus. The only times I use a case are for runs or the occasional time I feel like showing off a sticker/polaroid through a clear case. The back is starting to show wear in the areas that make contact with surfaces, but I actually like that!

Reactions: danny8200

andyp350

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2011
Finally going careless is liberating! Its much nicer and easier to use the phone, its a device that is meant to be used, not preserved
Never understood why everyone puts their phones in cases these days, we never used to before the days of iPhones etc.

Reactions: powerocool

jlczl

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2015
Reason I don't go case less is because my matte black iPhone 7 is way too slippery. I just don't feel comfortable holding it without something that adds some grip to it.

eyoungren

macrumors Core
Aug 31, 2011
ten-zero-eleven-zero-zero by zero-two
Never understood why everyone puts their phones in cases these days, we never used to before the days of iPhones etc.
It's not hard to understand their argument although it's not the position I take. Those who put their phones in cases will often argue that they wish to protect their investment. They pay "X" amount of money for a device (it's expensive) and they don't want it damaged.

Most often these are people that are using iDevices because of iOS. The aesthetics of the iDevice look and feel are lost on them. They express their style and creativity by the kind of case they select for their device - not in the deivce itself. A lot of them will pass along a pristine device to the next buyer, having only seen the device without a case once or twice in having owned it. It's all about preserving the value of the device for resale.

Some case users have a legitimate reason. They are clumsy or absent minded and the case protects their device against their inattention. I still argue that those who use cases tend to treat their devices with less care than those who do not use cases. They are relying on the case to protect the device rather than expending the effort required to treat the device carefully. I've seen more case users throw their devices around and place them in dangerous spots than I ever have people who do not use cases.

Anyway, it's not a view I hold. My iDevices are not investments. I don't resell them and I don't use them to pay for the next device. I keep them until they die and there is no repair that will make it work. But I've learned how to handle my devices. It's muscle memory and I often find myself cradling my device protectively without even realizing it.

No case will separate me from the design of the device. Just my thoughts here.

Last edited:

lawful

macrumors member
Feb 26, 2012
It's not hard to understand their argument although it's not the position I take. Those who put their phones in cases will often argue that they wish to protect their investment. They pay "X" amount of money for a device (it's expensive) and they don't want it damaged.

Most often these are people that are using iDevices because of iOS. The aesthetics of the iDevice look and feel are lost on them. They express their style and creativity by the kind of case they select for their device - not in the deivce itself. A lot of them will pass along a pristine device to the next buyer, having only seen the device without a case once or twice in having owned it. It's all about preserving the value of the device for resale.

Some case users have a legitimate reason. They are clumsy or absent minded and the case protects their device against their inattention. I still argue that those who use cases tend to treat their devices with less care than those who do not use cases. They are relying on the case to protect the device rather than expending the effort required to treat the device carefully. I've seen more case users throw their devices around and place them in dangerous spots than I ever have people who do not use cases.

Anyway, it's not a view I hold. My iDevices are not investments. I don't resell them and I don't use them to pay for the next device. I keep them until they die and there is no repair that will make it work. But I've learned how to handle my devices. It's muscle memory and I often find myself cradling my device protectively without even realizing it.

No case will separate me from the design of the device. Just my thoughts here.
Rich? Millionaire?

eyoungren

macrumors Core
Aug 31, 2011
ten-zero-eleven-zero-zero by zero-two
Rich? Millionaire?
Me? LOL! Falling out of my seat, laughing!!!

Hardly. I just have an attachment to my devices.

We usually replace our phones every 2.5 to 3.5 years and we do it with our tax refund money. It's the only way new devices would ever come into the house - outside of subsidy or lease which I try to avoid because it increases the phone bill.

My son got a new phone recently…an 8GB iPhone 4s. It cost me $20.

jlczl

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2015
Some of us actually don't like the look or feel of the phone without a case. Some people actually prefer the look of an iPhone with a variety of cases and treat the phone much the way they would treat themselves, dressing it in different outfits depending on the occasion. I know I have a case for when I'm out in rugged terrain. I also have a case for when i'm at a formal event. I also have a case for when I am out casually with friends and then I can always go without a case when I'm at home or I just feel like it.

I guess there is some people who put it in a case and never take it out but I'm definitely not one of those.

Reactions: Manix and danny8200