Thinking of going caseless... [MERGED]

nitrocosis

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2016
I find the plus model easier to hold without a case. A case makes it too large to have a good grip on it.
I've gone caseless several times without any issues. It does require some additional cautiousness though.. For instance, I would never keep my phone together with sharp objects, and tend to have a phone reserved pocket in any backpack or purse. I would only not recommend for a phone that has a complete glass design, back and front (such as old Xperia phones and the newer Samsung phones). It does depend on the model of the phone though, as I imagine some will be more slippery than others.

Decept1k0n

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2008
Honolulu, Hawaii
Ouch, so sorry!! How long do you have to wait for the replacement?
They said it would take 7-10 business days for the replacement to be shipped to the store, at which point I'd get a text and an email saying it's ready to be picked up. So hopefully it will arrive either mid to late next week, not too bad.

Biggie Robs

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2007
Jamaica Plain, MA
I tried going caseless with my 6 and Applecare+, but the phone was just too slick. It jumped out of my sweats pocket as I jogged back to the front door with my dog one chilly November evening. So I started using a case, and I just bought one today for my 7.

caligurl

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
socal
i've gone careless for both the 6+, 6s+ and now the 7+. (prior to that I had a bumper only)

I also don't have a case on my iPad mini 4. I do have skins on them. this time around i went with a naked skin, but on the previous phones had decorative skins (hot pink carbon fiber, black w/white polka dots)

I like the phone as it is and i have apple care +

Reactions: BigMcGuire

Hirah82

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2016
So I'm sat at my desk at work and really cant stand the look of the apple silicone case on my beautiful matt black plus! So Ive taken it off! ive never used my phone without a case and am a little bit concerned to say the least....who else has gone caseless and how are ypu finding it in terms of grip and scratches etc?

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
Going caseless is actually an acquired skill. When I first got the original iPhone, it simply flew out of my hand. I've since learned to grip it more securely and you eventually get used to doing that without thinking.

But be careful though. Matte aluminum is more slippery than plastic back and glass back. I've never dropped my 6 or 6s, but then again I'm used to it having gone caseless since 2007.

appleforme

macrumors member
Dec 23, 2009
White Mountains of Arizona
I tried 2 different minimalistic clear TPU cases on my 7+ and didn't like how these cases distracted from the beauty of the phone. I had ordered a set of skins and decided to only install the back skin on the phone. I am very impressed with the look of the phone with the skin, you can't really tell it is there. While the skin really only provides scratch protection for the shiny back, I feel that it's better than going completely naked.

I'm loving rocking my new 7+ semi-Naked!

Reactions: Hirah82

andyp350

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2011
Always go caseless. To me a case is something you put something in to protect it when you aren't using it. Like I put my MacBook in a case to go in my suitcase etc.
I can't think of a single device I own that I would actually want to hold and operate with the added bulk of a case. Even the most slimline iPhone cases make the phone look and feel completely different.

Reactions: Hirah82

So I'm sat at my desk at work and really cant stand the look of the apple silicone case on my beautiful matt black plus! So Ive taken it off! ive never used my phone without a case and am a little bit concerned to say the least....who else has gone caseless and how are ypu finding it in terms of grip and scratches etc?
Don't do it...

Reactions: cdmoore74

Hirah82

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2016
I tried 2 different minimalistic clear TPU cases on my 7+ and didn't like how these cases distracted from the beauty of the phone. I had ordered a set of skins and decided to only install the back skin on the phone. I am very impressed with the look of the phone with the skin, you can't really tell it is there. While the skin really only provides scratch protection for the shiny back, I feel that it's better than going completely naked.

I'm loving rocking my new 7+ semi-Naked!
Where did you order the skins from? after using it Naked for a couple of hours im finding it has no grip whatsoever! either that or I have super smooth hands :D
[doublepost=1474978447][/doublepost]
Don't do it...
Ouch! thats not a pretty sight :(
[doublepost=1474978647][/doublepost]Think Im going to have to look into some minimalist case options as the device just has no grip :( Its so sad having to veil such a beauty.

Reactions: ceva321

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Going caseless is actually an acquired skill. When I first got the original iPhone, it simply flew out of my hand. I've since learned to grip it more securely and you eventually get used to doing that without thinking.

But be careful though. Matte aluminum is more slippery than plastic back and glass back. I've never dropped my 6 or 6s, but then again I'm used to it having gone caseless since 2007.
now I feel like I have a hidden talent :p

Like you, been rocking the phone naked since the original. Be careful, get AC+, and enjoy :)

Channan

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2012
New Orleans
I've gone through brief phases of using cases in the past (I'm talking a few weeks at a time at most) but I just can't stick with them. I want my phone to be as small as possible and I've yet to find a case that improves the look of a phone.

I'm super careful with my phones, but I occasionally have accidents. Lately, for some reason, my phones like to slide out of my pocket while I'm sitting down. I actually had that happen one time while standing up; don't ask how because I honestly don't know. I just have to pay more attention to it while I'm sitting down.

I've never cracked a screen in the eight years I've had smartphones, but when it finally does happen, I'd rather just pay to get it fixed than have to put up with cases year after year.

Tibits

macrumors 6502
Feb 23, 2011
I have gone caseless plus AppleCare+ on my last few iPhones. There are pros and cons to the grip and it definitely takes getting used to. On the upside the phone is less bulky without a case, the downside is that it is more slick. In general the bodies of these phones are pretty scratch resistant, so no issue for me there. The issue for me is chips and damage as I drop my phone every now and then. I use it while walking the dogs, etc. and it just flies out of my hand. This can result in a nasty ding or even worse. Hence the AppleCare+. It costs a bit more, but takes all my worries away. I've tried lots of cases, and they are all just too ugly for my taste.

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
I went careless until the 6 which I felt was too thin and needed a case added to it to thicken it up. I might try taking my case off again someday, but for now I'm tolerating the case so the phone is thick enough.

eyoungren

macrumors Core
Aug 31, 2011
ten-zero-eleven-zero-zero by zero-two
Caseless since my first phone in 1999 and every phone thereafter.

Don't use cases, don't like them.

Geert76

macrumors 68000
Feb 28, 2014
the Netherlands
so, last week I bought a new Ferrari...a little more expensive then a iPhone.
Yesterday I slapped a huge ugly TPU case around my Ferrari, now I dont see anything of that Ferrari anymore... Ah well, at least its protected now

bottom line: my 6th day now with my JetBlack iPhone 7,no scratches (I dont put my iPhone in the same pocket as my keys and coins)
Ofcourse I am going caseless. A case completely ruins my user experience of this beautiful design iPhone.
(have AppleCAre+ for my jetblack iPhone)