Thinking of upgrading my mini 4

Discussion in 'iPad' started by royinla14, Aug 20, 2017.

  1. royinla14 macrumors 6502

    Oct 12, 2011
    I have been with each of the iPad mini ever since it was first introduced, mainly due to the form factor. Now after 2 years with the mini 4, I am at a point where it's becoming possibly little too small and slow. Assuming there will not be mini 5 coming out, I'm thinking of getting either the pro 10.5 or the 2017 iPad. Of course I like the 2017 iPad low price Vs the pro, but the pro is bit thinner which I like. I'm not going to use the pen so that's not a consideration for me.
    Any thoughts on the 2017 iPad vs the pro?
  2. Greenmeenie macrumors 65816


    Jan 14, 2013
    I think in your case, i'd go for the 2017 ipad. Especially if you dont plan to use the Apple Pencil. You save a bunch of money and you get a faster ipad then your mini 4.

    Im in a similar situation. I'm currently still using the ipad mini 2. But im an artist and want to use the apple pencil. I was waiting for a mini pro...but that didnt happen when the 10.5" was announced. I'm gonna wait a few more weeks for the iphone/ios 11 event in September. If they don't announce a mini pro then...i'll definitely be getting the 10.5" pro for sure.
  3. bensisko macrumors 65816

    Jul 24, 2002
    The Village
    Agreed. Sure there are advantages of the Pro over the 2017 9.7, but, in general, no pencil, no pro.

    Curious - how is the mini 4 slow?
  4. Phonzoxd macrumors 6502a

    May 28, 2013
    Mini 4 is slow?

    For all the basics it just as smooth as my gen 1 pro 12.9
  5. Starfia macrumors 6502a


    Apr 11, 2011
    The Pencil is the biggest reason to go with the iPad Pro over the iPad. The next best reasons are things like being enough of an aficionado to appreciate the various impressive but non-critical improvements that make the difference. So if you don't have the biggest reason, then consider whether you are.

    (For the record, I'm not letting go of my iPad mini 4, especially if this is the final model – I use that and a 12.9" iPad Pro and haven't found the former slow by comparison yet.)
  6. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

    Relentless Power

    Jul 12, 2016
    Then it looks like you will be getting a 10.5 iPad Pro, because I don't believe There is any indication of the Mini being refreshed during this Keynote, which Apple would have done so back in June With spotlight on the iPad. I think the main emphasis will be on the new iPhone, Apple campus, Apple Watch, Apple TV, etc.
  7., Aug 21, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2017 macrumors 604

    May 26, 2016
    I can definitely vouch for the iPad 2017, the thickness you're talking about is really negligible compared to the price difference. If you're not going to use the pencil then the iPad 2017 is for you. I've recently bought one & you can read the discussion in this thread.

    Need your opinion - New iPad 2017
  8. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

    Chupa Chupa

    Jul 16, 2002
    IMHO the iPad and Pro are very different products even though they share the same OS. One is for the entry level "value" market, the other for the traditional Apple customer who is attracted to Apple because of it's product's build materials. With the iPad Apple is reaching down to the Android market in the same way it tried to reach down to the entry PC market with the Mac mini. There is nothing wrong with the iPad, it' just isn't refined like the Pro. Apple built it the least expensive way it could and it's quite apparent. That isn't a "ding" in the iPad, it's just a description of what the product is...or is not.

    So my suggestion would be to go to an Apple Store or other store that has working models of both the iPad and Pro on display, and not encumbered by heavy anti-theft mechanisms. Feel them out, stare down the screens, hold them like you do for a few minutes, and imagine using it now, next year, and for however long you think you'll keep it. The iPad will age quicker because it has an A9 chip (just one generation up from the A8 in your Mini4) and 1/2 as much RAM as the Pro -- something to consider if it's a longterm purchase.

    Another consideration is we are going into the holiday season and already we are starting to see good occasional discounting on the Pros, esp. the 10.5 model. That one is regularly $50 off. I suspect it might dip to $75-100 off by October. So if you like the Pro but not the price it might be worth waiting another month or if you have a CC with price protection buy within whatever window gives you that protection for the holiday season.

Share This Page